Does Apple cider vinegar actually help?

Options
124»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't have any cavities and I sleep with socks on every night.

Big industry can't make any money off my cavity prevention measure, so, there's no science to back up my claims, but you can pick a pair of socks up at the Dollar Tree and buy your way to dental health.

Funny. But that would only be a comparable example if you used to get cavities two or three times a year before you started wearing your socks to bed.

I used to sprain my ankles all the damn time when I was little. But when I started doing ____________, it stopped. 15 years since my last sprained ankle and counting! With those results how can you not do ____________?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Big industry can't make any money off my cavity prevention measure, so, there's no science to back up my claims, but you can pick a pair of socks up at the Dollar Tree and buy your way to dental health.

Funny. But that would only be a comparable example if you used to get cavities two or three times a year before you started wearing your socks to bed.

I used to sprain my ankles all the damn time when I was little. But when I started doing ____________, it stopped. 15 years since my last sprained ankle and counting! With those results how can you not do ____________?

So there you might be on to something. It would be even more convincing if other people, unconnected to you in any way, also stopped spraining their ankles when they started doing __________________.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I wear boxers every day, I've never been hit by lighting. Boxers ward off lightning strikes.

If you had been hit by lightning twice yearly your entire life, and then those lightning strikes abruptly ceased once you started wearing your boxers, then I'd say you might be on to something.
    Particularly if other people, unconnected to you, also reported the same thing.

Or perhaps you'd wait for Fruit of the Loom to sponsor a study on it before you mentioned to others that it might be a good idea to try wearing boxers during a thunderstorm.

It is pretty funny how you so obviously set out just to back up any frivolous claim, just to stir things up. And how you think those things you say have logic.

No, I truly believe that ACV has prevented me from getting colds even if there isn't a study to say so, so I tell people about it whenever (a) they complain about how many colds they get or (b) they ask me if ACV is any good for anything other than making a nice salad dressing.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If only I knew what that magic thing was so I could sell books on how awesome it is and get mad dosh while talking about the evil pharma industry or evil orthopedists in this case only wanting your money and that's why they don't tell you about it I guess.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    If only I knew what that magic thing was so I could sell books on how awesome it is and get mad dosh while talking about the evil pharma industry or evil orthopedists in this case only wanting your money and that's why they don't tell you about it I guess.

Or you could just tell your friends who are having problems with sprained ankles, for free.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

You're wrong. I don't have any cavities and I never sleep with socks on.

Please show me evidence that supports your claims.

Everyone else, ditch those socks for optimum dental health!

;)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I used the ACV for over a month and it did NOT help me lose weight at all. So I am not going to continue to do it. but that is just my opinion on its use.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

;)

Sorry, you're wrong. I never sleep with socks on and I have no teeth. Get your facts straight.

My bf sleeps with socks on and has a plethora of dental issues, which can be explained no other way.

Case closed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Plus it is better than sugary soft drinks or juices.

Apple Cider Vinegar tastes like azz, though. Nasty, nasty, nasty! ;)

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's where you can look at research, searching by key word, author, etc.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

The only effect apple cider vinegar has is to harm teeth.
    If you're going to do it, drink it through a straw so it goes to the back of your mouth, not touching
    your teeth at all. Would probably also help with the nasty taste.

It is popular with people that have gout as an anti inflammatory helper by slightly lowering body ph (sic) levels
    What the woo pushers can never seem to explain is how vinegar, which is acid (usually about 5% acetic
    acid) can make the body more acidic (lower pH)... when the stomach is a much stronger acid, and once
    the vinegar gets to the small intestine it's neutralized.

Saryia wrote:
    I read something about how apple cider vinegar can balance out your body's ph (sic) or something...
    don't quote me on this... supposedly drinking coffee, soda and juices can alter your ph (sic)
    Most of what you've named are acidic - they have a low pH.

Your body functions within a very narrow pH range, and it has interlocking mechanisms to maintain
    a healthy environment. Without them, you die. About the only things you're able to affect are your
    stomach (diluting the acid) and urine / bladder.

Blood is about 7.4, depending on where you draw it.
    Your stomach is strongly acidic, so vinegar won't affect it much, other than dilution.
    The first part of your small intestine (right after the stomach) is strongly basic, thanks to bile.

If you do things which lead to having more acidic blood, your body will pull calcium from your bones
    to try to neutralize the excess. This leads to weak bones.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well, my sister has cavities. She never wore socks to bed. I always have worn socks to bed. Ever since I was a kid. I've always hated the feeling of sheets on my feet. No cavities.

My son? Cavities. He doesn't wear socks.

My daughter. No cavities. She wears socks.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I used to sprain my ankles all the damn time when I was a little kid too! When I started eating broccoli, it stopped. 42 years since my last sprained ankle and counting!

Eat broccoli for healthy ankles.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

;)

Sorry, you're wrong. I never sleep with socks on and I have no teeth. Get your facts straight.

I'm going to start sleeping with boxer shorts so I can sleep without getting hit by lightning AND keep my teeth.

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It may help with metabolism by helping to increase insulin sensitivity, and therefore glucose metabolism. I'm sure it has many other benefits as well. The way to take it is before a meal. I'm sure there are other uses and administrations, but that's the one I am familiar with. The dose I read about was 50g, if you use a food scale=-)

How does ingesting a weak acid achieve this miracle?