Love Crunchy Food, Hate Unhealthy Choices

Options
ajh2133
ajh2133 Posts: 14 Member
I tend to eat pretty healthy (lean meats, fruits and veggies, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and oats) but struggle every day with one craving. I crave crunchy things. I love crunching on crackers, popcorn, chips, etc. that are always high in calories and often contain yucky fats and unwanted ingredients. I am wondering if any of you have my same craving and what healthy crunchy snacks you munch on?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn, rice cakes, and pretzels are my go tos. They fall within my definition of healthy.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Since you like sweet potatoes, slice one in thin pieces and bake till crunchy. I do this alot and its really good.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I like crunchy things, too. They're not low in calories at all, so you'd have to budget them in, but I go for almonds, 10-15 a day. (I stay away from hazelnuts because I just can't control myself with those.)

But why not just have popcorn? It's high in fiber. Air pop it (with a hot air popper, not in a microwave) and drizzle a little butter on there.

http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/21116-.aspx?src=google&gclid=CMi0-tuN68UCFQ8waQodYiIAqA

(Microwaved popcorn is often flavoured with diacetyl, which can cause "popcorn lung" if inhaled - not sure what the minimum dose is, it's probably safe enough if you're just making it at home, but who wants to risk that)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's my thing too. Air popped popcorn. Wasa crackers. Puffed wheat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try roasting chickpeas with a little spice and olive oil.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    ajh2133 wrote: »
    I tend to eat pretty healthy (lean meats, fruits and veggies, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and oats) but struggle every day with one craving. I crave crunchy things. I love crunching on crackers, popcorn, chips, etc. that are always high in calories and often contain yucky fats and unwanted ingredients. I am wondering if any of you have my same craving and what healthy crunchy snacks you munch on?

Oh my gosh, pretzels and popcorn I could eat all day long. And while healthier than some alternatives, the sheer amount I could shove in my face (if I allowed it) would be beyond excessive.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I've seen someone mention making your own popcorn in the microwave using a brown paper bag. not sure the details but i'm sure it can't be that hard
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Carrots.

Celery.
  • surrealchereal
    surrealchereal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    carrots and an apple eat them every day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Cut broccoli into small bite size florets. Put a bit of olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic,salt n pepper in a freezer bag. Add broccoli and shake to coat. Place on oven tray and bake in the oven till crunchy. Surprisingly filling and tasty.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas work well, too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How is popcorn high in calorie? I was going to eat a whole bag for 240 calories tonight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    apples sliced thinly
    carrot sticks
    cucumbers with salt/chili
    pickles
    popcorn
    goldfish crackers
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I take a sauce pan with a lid. Dump in about a 1/4 cup of popcorn. Turn the stove on high and shake it over the burner.

I use olive oil pan spray to get salt or other spices to stick to it.

It is 31 kcals for a cup.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love those quaker popped snacks the apple cinnamon ones are good. Jicama is super crunchy and healthy
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Im the same way and I really like crunchy foods. My go to are sliced cucumbers and orange and red sweet peppers, and baby carrots. I find if I put a bit of salt on the cukes I get that salty fix, and the nice crunchy fix.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I like these

1FZQtn2.png

Dry cereal or rice cakes are good too
  • ajh2133
    ajh2133 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions! I didn't mention I am allergic to gluten, so I can't have some of those but will look into a lot of them. @stephanieluvspb never thought of that! Great idea! And to all of you suggesting popcorn, I will have to try making my own somehow, probably get a air popper. @arditarose popcorn is definitely not high in calories for how much you can eat in a serving, store bought popcorn usually has a lot of saturated fat and other not so good things for you in it. And when you eat the whole bag in one sitting you end up eating lots of calories purely from the buttery fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ajh2133 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your suggestions! I didn't mention I am allergic to gluten, so I can't have some of those but will look into a lot of them. @stephanieluvspb never thought of that! Great idea! And to all of you suggesting popcorn, I will have to try making my own somehow, probably get a air popper. @arditarose popcorn is definitely not high in calories for how much you can eat in a serving, store bought popcorn usually has a lot of saturated fat and other not so good things for you in it. And when you eat the whole bag in one sitting you end up eating lots of calories purely from the buttery fat.

I disagree. The bag I buy is 240 calories. And there is nothing wrong with fat. I'm always looking for ways to eat more fat.