Is it worth it to quit diet soda? Have you?

Options
Losingthedamnweight
Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I drink about a 6pack of some variation of diet soda a day. Coke zero. Pepsi max. Cherry zero. Vanilla coke zero. I love it. Especially when I'm eating. Doesn't get much better than a chilled glass of vanilla coke zero filled to the brim with ice.

But today it got me thinking. I really hate not drinking it. I drink other things too like straight water or flavored water and other things, but to not have diet coke at least once in the day, I really miss it. And that bugs me for some reason. Like I feel a little too dependent on diet soda ya know?

Is there any reason I should quit drinking it besides some obscure websites on the internet saying it's bad for you? Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I believe in all things in moderation. There's no good or bad foods, just certain foods may benefit my health more but still nothing is bad. I do enjoy a diet coke(in moderation) so no I'm not drinking six per day but if I'd like one then I have one.
    I don't pay much attention to the hype around diet soda.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There is nothing, repeat, NOTHING wrong with having a diet coke every day.

By all means, cut back from 6 a day, it's better for your teeth and bones if you exercise moderation, but the obscure websites are not credible resources and I think you know that just from the way you asked the question. Enjoy your vanilla coke zero on the rocks, it's a perfectly viable no-calorie drink.
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I understand liking it and I have certainly had my share buy now only rarely. Here is one good reason besides all of the chemicals. Seems that it can stimulate insulin release or something like that making you hungrier after and maybe even helping contribute to weight gain. For sure if you are drinking a 6 pack a day you might not want to go cold turkey but just taper down.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I drank diet coke for many years, at least two, sometimes three, "thirstbusters" (32 oz) a day. I was having strange episodes like a petite seizure. After several doctors and several tests I overheard a weight watchers leader mention having bad reactions to diet soda. I quit it completely. I felt immensly better. "Episodes" stopped and I felt less headache-y. Sadly after years of no soda at all I somehow got started on regular coke :-(

So... I have nothing scientific to offer but I felt much better without it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nooooo, I'm not giving it up. I do change things up once in a while. Water with lime slices. Water and Mio. Soda water. Perrier. Tea.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    katherine_startrek_fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of reasons to cut out soda: tons of chemicals, erodes enamel on teeth and lining of throat/stomach/etc due to acidic nature, bloat, and adds unnecessary caffeine, to name a few. Additionally, there have been numerous studies that suggest correlations with obesity, blood sugar issues, and slow metabolism.

Further, my doctor says most people will lose at least ten pounds from dropping diet soda.

Personally dropping soda was one of the best things my husband and I ever did. It wasn't easy, but we feel so much better without it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I call bunkum, @katherine_startrek_fan. That's all just a bunch of Internet nonsense. When I was watching sugar from my type 2 diabetes (now in remission) I can guarantee that sugar soda was far more dangerous to my health.

I'm betting that natural ginger beer has at least as many chemicals as a diet coke.
  • brandlefly
    brandlefly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    From personal experience I can state that since I stopped drinking diet soda I do feel quite differently. No more excessive thirst, heartburn, my fatigue has improved and I am not experiencing the high-low energy seesaw.

I think the biggest improvement is that I am not craving sweets anymore. Before I started drinking diet soda, I never ate sweets. I was craving them endlessly during the time I drank it. I did not realize the connection until after I stopped the soda. Within a week, no more sweet cravings.

Again, this is just personal experience. I cannot speak for anyone but myself.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I drink about a 6pack of some variation of diet soda a day. Coke zero. Pepsi max. Cherry zero. Vanilla coke zero. I love it. Especially when I'm eating. Doesn't get much better than a chilled glass of vanilla coke zero filled to the brim with ice.

But today it got me thinking. I really hate not drinking it. I drink other things too like straight water or flavored water and other things, but to not have diet coke at least once in the day, I really miss it. And that bugs me for some reason. Like I feel a little too dependent on diet soda ya know?

Is there any reason I should quit drinking it besides some obscure websites on the internet saying it's bad for you?
    Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?

I mean if you feel like you're bothered by it, that's a good reason. Maybe cut down to 1-2 a day?

I never had this issue (H2O fan for life, find all diet drinks other than Coke Zero disgusting). But I do like something fizzy when I have a burger or pizza. Anyway I had to cut out diet stuff because it aggravates my stomach, and have found Perrier Lemon to be a great substitute. (But I only liked the fizz of pop, not so much the sweetness.)
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I thought about it exactly the way you did, OP. I loved the stuff and rationally, I couldn't think of a reason to stop, except that I thought it might be such an ingrained habit that maybe I'm not in control anymore. So In January I gave up My two 20-ounce bottles of Diet Coke, plus Splenda out of the same fear that I was dependent on it. I substituted them for Hi Caff teas from Republic of Tea and Starbucks Iced Coffee, which I drank straight or with milk. Here was the surprise: my food cravings went away. I've lost 20 pounds since giving them up - not because they alone created a calorie deficit, obviously, but because my appetite is small enough that i can actually successfully be on a diet. So now I'm on the biggest weight loss effort of my life, and that was the first step for me. Annoyingly, because the studies sounded so stupid and condescending to me when they came out, this corresponds to a September study that got in the news finding a correlation between diet soda and obesity. Here's another study that's been cited 102 times, suggesting it's a well-studied phenomenon at this point: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • surrealchereal
    surrealchereal Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Is there any reason I should quit drinking it besides some obscure websites on the internet saying it's bad for you? Has anybody here quit drinking it and felt better? Or different at all?
    Yes your teeth won't have much enamel left on them. Voice of experience here, I wish I'd have quit sooner than I did.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's harmful in moderation. Life is hard enough, if you enjoy it, have it!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda, but mainly for financial reasons.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have quit soda altogether for 3 years now, it's great! It helps with maintaining weight and/or gaining muscle because I can use all my calories up for healthy and filling food :) but that's just me, maybe you can lessen your intake into let's say ince or twice a day? As long as you consume in moderation :D
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The responses on this thread remind me why I love you guys so much.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No reason to quit it entirely if you don't have any issues with it. That is a lot of caffeine, and I was once in your shoes, so I cut back to a couple a day just so I could sleep better at night. I have experimented with cutting it out entirely and noticed no changes. I didn't magically lose weight and I felt no different. I think if you reduce your consumption you'll lose that feeling of dependency while still getting to enjoy it. :smile:
  • Blomepunk
    Blomepunk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could try adding up how much money you spend on it over the course of a week, a month and a year, at least for me that is a mayor reason to stay away from any kind of soda?
  • bstover217
    bstover217 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm down to 1-2 20oz bottles of diet Mt dew a week from the 3-4 a day I used to drink. I feel much better and don't feel dependant on caffeine anymore.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

There is absolutely NO reason to stop drinking diet soda if you like it and can afford it but maybe just drink it with meals
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I thought about it exactly the way you did, OP. I loved the stuff and rationally, I couldn't think of a reason to stop, except that I thought it might be such an ingrained habit that maybe I'm not in control anymore. So In January I gave up My two 20-ounce bottles of Diet Coke, plus Splenda out of the same fear that I was dependent on it. I substituted them for Hi Caff teas from Republic of Tea and Starbucks Iced Coffee, which I drank straight or with milk. Here was the surprise: my food cravings went away. I've lost 20 pounds since giving them up - not because they alone created a calorie deficit, obviously, but because my appetite is small enough that i can actually successfully be on a diet. So now I'm on the biggest weight loss effort of my life, and that was the first step for me. Annoyingly, because the studies sounded so stupid and condescending to me when they came out, this corresponds to a September study that got in the news finding a correlation between diet soda and obesity. Here's another study that's been cited 102 times, suggesting it's a well-studied phenomenon at this point: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
    If you count your calories and don't succumb to every craving that study doesn't apply to you though.