How meny reps do you need to do at gym?

Options
How meny reps ar required to do per set?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That would depend entirely on your goals.
  • rares_rich01
    rares_rich01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to lose fat and increase muscle mass
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight, gain weight, stay the same weight?

If you're trying to lose weight you're not really going to increase your muscle mass.
    If you're trying to gain weight you're not really going to decrease your fat.
    You can kinda do both if you're doing what is called a recomp, but it's pretty slow in terms of visible results compared to gaining weight to gain muscle then losing weight to shed fat.

Anyway, for your question, I'd recommend you one of the beginner's routines, getting familiar with the exercises is very important to avoid getting injured.
    Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are two good ones, they use 5 reps per set.
    Alternatively, you could try this site http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/ you get asked questions and it lists you some routines that might be good for your goals. But I don't know how good it is.

Ultimately, it is said 5 reps and less is for mainly strength gains, more for mainly muscle size gains, but as long as you lift regularly and go heavier when you can at the amount of reps you do, you're going to build muscle mass (if you eat enough to gain weight).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

You can gain minimal muscle mass as a newbie.. These gains taper off and what you end up doing to maintaining the mass you have..

Eating at a deficit to loose additional weight/fat does not promote muscle mass... Loose the fat first by continuing to eat at a deficit, start you a beginner's weight lifting program...
  • irsyadnh
    irsyadnh Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Try to lose weight first, but you can train your muscle for endurance, not mass. Low-intensity training it a must in beginning/first week (and gone through DOMS). When you gone through, I suggest you do HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), lot of HIIT sample exercise around net. HIIT was hellish, but effective for burning fat.
  • OwynDinsdale
    OwynDinsdale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter to start with, as you get into lifting, talk to people, read stuff, get used to your body etc you will get a better idea what works for you, what your actual goals are.

tl;dr dont worry about it, just lift heavy things.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    All of them. Same as the amount of protein you should eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Not going to increase any significant muscle mass while trying to lose fat on a calorie deficit.

I go with the defacto, 10 reps per exercise for most clients who are new.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• omkarbhimraobhosekar01313
    Options
    What I personally do is suppose doing chest workout. So flat bench 7 sets 18-20 reps & incline bench 2 sets 6-8 reps. Again dumbbell flies 7 sets 18-20 reps & decline bench 2 sets 6-8reps with weight variation at the time of 2 reps & 6-8 reps. Look for German Intensity Training or High Intensity Volume Training H.I.V.T. on bodyspace/bodybuilding.com