Loose Leaf Tea

Options

Replies

• taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    taentea wrote: »
    I buy mine online from yunnansourcing and occasionally some small local companies that hand pick their teas in China and import only good stuff. I find that mass market teas and especially the kind they sell in supermarkets are full of meh.

You've been already advised Dà Hóng Páo and Tae Guan Yin. Those two oolongs are very safe and widely popular choices. People who drink tea at my place for the first time always fall in love with Tae Guan Yin and keep asking for it later. Long Jin is famous as far as green teas go and I like it but you have to be careful with green teas as unlike oolongs, they get bitter if brewed for too long. For a white tea other than Silver Needles, Bai Mu Dan is quite safe and pleasant. If you feel a bit more risky, this pu-erh cake is a pretty decent offer for its money. Ripe pu-erhs are not for everyone and I couldn't tolerate my first one but the sample of this cake tasted fine and I suddenly found myself addicted enough to buy a whole cake that I still greatly enjoy.

I was looking up Tae Guan Yin and Da Hong Pao but I don't think Tea Guys has that kind. Adiago might,
    Tea Source does... but they use the names they're known for like Iron Goddess of Mercy and Big Red Robe (I'm glad those names were mentioned or else I probably wouldn't have found it).

I just bought a lot of tea recently but when I decide to shop again I'm going to try these suggestions... I was kind of hesitant with ones like that because I'm not familiar with the names or taste.

I've never seen a tea cake like that?? Could you explain why they call it a cake and make it like that?

I definitely have a lot to learn about tea lol. I'm looking forward to broadening my knowledge on the origins and trying new types.

I'm not in US myself, so I'm not familiar with the tea shops you have there. But yunnansourcing has a US version as far as I know and that's at least one reliable source of chinese tease for you. I've been ordering through their international site and have nothing but good things to say about them. They know and love teas they specialize in. And they use both translated and transliterated names. It helps.

The names of chinese teas are hard to grasp at first as they sound unfamiliar and often get pretty long. But they often provide you with much more information than a translated name does. Teas aren't a product that can be manufactured from a universal blueprint. Even one kind of tea raised in the same place and produced by the same person using the same recipe would vary in taste from season to season. A Dragon Well bought in one place can taste different from a Dragon Well bought somewhere else. I have 3 different samples of Tae Guan Yin here and they all taste slightly differently. I knew they would though as they are of different quality and roast intensity. Full chinese name would usually reflect that.

You don't have to worry about it too much though. If you ever find yourself liking such teas enough and start to worry about slight differences in taste, those things will just come to you naturally. They are not hard once you learn to recognize few words you'd be seeing all the time. For now just getting a decent quality tea from a reliable source is safe enough. If you choose to go with YS, I'd say 'Premium Tie Guan Yin' is a pretty good quality for the money. I wouldn't bother overpaying for Imperial at this point.

I do get your hesitation with such teas actually =) I remember feeling completely overwhelmed the first time I decided to shop for chinese tea. I've heard horror stories about people trying some expensive teas that tasted plain nasty and definitely didn't want to stumble upon one of those. I ended up stumbling on some of those actually but I found many nice ones too. If you like the general taste of green teas, you are mostly safe with green teas, white teas and a greener oolongs like Tie Guan Yin. Iron Goddess is a very light tea with a refreshing smell. And it doesn't have the bitterness of green teas. Dà Hóng Páo (Big Red Robe) is a bit darker and thicker tasting but it's still very mild and comfortable. Pu-Erhs are a much bigger hit or miss taste-wise. I like them myself despite being sure I would not. I think its worth trying but I definitely would not start with them. As for health risks, ripe pu-erhs are fermented artificially these days. It's a controlled process and bacteria are a part of it (just like its a part of yogurt). As far as you don't buy something completely trashy from e-bay or aliexpress you should be fine.

Also this is far from obligatory, but I find that proper hardware brings the enjoyment from drinking tea to another level. Not only it helps to brew the tea properly but it shows off the tea nicely and just makes it feel so much more intimate and special. My guests and family always like it when I serve tea with a proper small ceremony but even if I'm alone sipping the tea in front of my computer, drinking it from a big mug just does not seem right somehow.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Pu-erh tea has been around for about 1500 years and was the main form of tea that was traded from China. The tea was pressed into cakes or bricks by the traders because it was easier to transport by pack animal than loose leaf and it was found that the flavor changed over time from fermentation (instead of just oxidation like most loose leaf teas) so it became the preferred type of tea in China. You separate how ever many leaves you want from the cake (my favorite is pressed into a rectangular brick) and brew your tea from that. It tends to have an earthier flavor than loose leaf and some find it a little too much. A good raw pu-erh can be stored and allowed to ferment and age for 20-30 years before using, kind of like a fine wine.

I was reading about the Pu-erh online and saw an article mention that mold and bacteria will sometimes attack the tea during the long aging process. Isn't this risky?

Not really. When making a proper cup of pu-erh the Chinese way, you separate the leaves you need from the cake and put them in your teapot (see my teapot comment below) you then pour hot (just under boiling) water over them and pour it off after about 5 seconds. This does 3 things: it washes the leaves, it wakes up the leaves, and it heats up the pot. The washing of the leaves removes any residue.

I'm not in US myself, so I'm not familiar with the tea shops you have there. But yunnansourcing has a US version as far as I know and that's at least one reliable source of chinese tease for you. I've been ordering through their international site and have nothing but good things to say about them. They know and love teas they specialize in. And they use both translated and transliterated names. It helps.

The names of chinese teas are hard to grasp at first as they sound unfamiliar and often get pretty long. But they often provide you with much more information than a translated name does. Teas aren't a product that can be manufactured from a universal blueprint. Even one kind of tea raised in the same place and produced by the same person using the same recipe would vary in taste from season to season. A Dragon Well bought in one place can taste different from a Dragon Well bought somewhere else. I have 3 different samples of Tae Guan Yin here and they all taste slightly differently. I knew they would though as they are of different quality and roast intensity. Full chinese name would usually reflect that.

You don't have to worry about it too much though. If you ever find yourself liking such teas enough and start to worry about slight differences in taste, those things will just come to you naturally. They are not hard once you learn to recognize few words you'd be seeing all the time. For now just getting a decent quality tea from a reliable source is safe enough. If you choose to go with YS, I'd say 'Premium Tie Guan Yin' is a pretty good quality for the money. I wouldn't bother overpaying for Imperial at this point.

Also this is far from obligatory, but I find that proper hardware brings the enjoyment from drinking tea to another level. Not only it helps to brew the tea properly but it shows off the tea nicely and just makes it feel so much more intimate and special. My guests and family always like it when I serve tea with a proper small ceremony but even if I'm alone sipping the tea in front of my computer, drinking it from a big mug just does not seem right somehow.

It sounds like yunnansourcing and Upton Teas are very similar in their approach and their tea knowledge. Upton buys a lot of single estate teas, but also many are from village collectives where the entire village works the teas plants and does the harvesting and processing . . . and shares in the profits. Looks like Yunnansourcing does it similar. OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I agree as far as Ebay sources being risky, but I have been very happy with Dragon Tea House. Their descriptions and history of the teas is excellent and they even have photos of the tea. Here is a listing for my favorite Big Red Robe as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Da-Hong-Pao-Big-Red-Robe-Chinese-Oolong-Tea-/221019433152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item79179a0933

I also feel that proper hardware is part of the enjoyment. As you can see by my collection in the third post of this thread, I love yixing teapots and firmly believe that they make the best cup of tea. I follow the recommendation to have one pot dedicated for each type of tea so I have my black pot, my oolong pot, etc. They heat up well and, because they are unglazed, they retain the heat better. I also make one cup at a time, infusing the same leaves a couple of times.

OP, when you are ready to buy more tea, pick out a couple of the classics based on what you prefer (black, grren, oolong, etc) and try them. Most places have sampler packs which can help. Upton also has sample sizes of each of their teas that make just a couple of cups so you aren't out big bucks if you don't like the tea.

Have fun and report back when you try something new!
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It sounds like yunnansourcing and Upton Teas are very similar in their approach and their tea knowledge. Upton buys a lot of single estate teas, but also many are from village collectives where the entire village works the teas plants and does the harvesting and processing . . . and shares in the profits. Looks like Yunnansourcing does it similar. OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Yup, Upton Teas looks one of those small companies passionate about what they do as well. There is a number of those around actually. We have some that ship tea directly from China and some that import it first. But they all go there and pick it very carefully unlike mass market companies that need so much tea, they buy whatever in bulk, save wherever they can, store and transport it without care etc. I go with YS because even with ridiculous dollar exchange rate buying there and getting it shipped here is much cheaper than what local companies want. But many products are way cheaper in US in general, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are much better offers available for you there.

And I really envy your teapot collection =) I'd love to have half of that! I'd imagine one needs to really fall in love with the teas first before investing a lot though. For a complete beginner a simple glassware for 3-5$ an item could make a lot of difference.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    It sounds like yunnansourcing and Upton Teas are very similar in their approach and their tea knowledge. Upton buys a lot of single estate teas, but also many are from village collectives where the entire village works the teas plants and does the harvesting and processing . . . and shares in the profits. Looks like Yunnansourcing does it similar. OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Yup, Upton Teas looks one of those small companies passionate about what they do as well. There is a number of those around actually. We have some that ship tea directly from China and some that import it first. But they all go there and pick it very carefully unlike mass market companies that need so much tea, they buy whatever in bulk, save wherever they can, store and transport it without care etc. I go with YS because even with ridiculous dollar exchange rate buying there and getting it shipped here is much cheaper than what local companies want. But many products are way cheaper in US in general, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are much better offers available for you there.

And I really envy your teapot collection =) I'd love to have half of that! I'd imagine one needs to really fall in love with the teas first before investing a lot though. For a complete beginner a simple glassware for 3-5$ an item could make a lot of difference.

When I first started collecting, I could get a nice Yixing pot for less than $20. Lately the prices have skyrocketed so I have not added to the collection in a couple of years (not that I have any more space for additional ones anyway).

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I actually got into Looseleaf teas with Teavana, its still my favorite. They do a lot of flavored as well as plain teas. 2 years ago they were bought by Starbucks. It gained popularity because that is where Oprah gets her favorite chai. I like chai, but prefer others.

someone mentioned Earl Grey Creme and yes love that tea. I also love their herbal teas, especially the Mate teas they have. Although they have a lot caffeine in the Mate teas.

Oh and like everyone here, NO bagged tea. The only one I use in a bag is peppermint, but not the one you get in the store, its a natural peppermint that comes in a larger tea bag. Peppermint is really good for the tummy.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP Where are you from? I know the Whole Foods in my area has some loose leaf. I also know of at least 5-10 tea shops in the area that sell it as well. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least 1 or 2 where you are...

I second the Teavana suggestion as well btw...but be careful...they are more expensive than most and the last time I went in one the salesperson was the tea equivalent of a used car salesman.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who works at Teavana, so she gives me her 30% discount.

My favorites from there are the Jade Citrus Mint, Earl Grey, English Breakfast Tea, Cucumber Melon Cooler, Sweet Asian Pear, and this combo that she makes for me that tastes like apple pie :)
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There's a Teavana (I think it's the same company that runs Starbucks) that sells some pretty good green tea. You might also want to check into your local health food store.

I've heard of Teavana, I just haven't bought any tea from them. Do you have any personal favorites?

I didn't think about checking my local health food store, they might actually have some. Thanks for the ideas

To life tea. (Blend of roiboos tropicana, white tea, and jasmine pearls)

It's amazing!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great sources! You've given me a lot of knowledge and I have learned a bit more.
    I have a few names I definitely want to try soon, and a couple new websites I can purchase tea on. :) I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

They also have peppermint loose leaf tea, I've tried it before and loved it. (to the person who mentioned drinking that bagged).

I am from the midwest, and there might be tea shops in my state but not in my small city. Most likely in the large cities, I will have to look.
    I'll be in Colorado this month, I should look up tea shops so when I'm traveling I can check some out.

Teavana does seem a bit more pricey than some of the other online stores I've visited. But I will still try it sometime even if I just choose a couple samples. :)

There is one bagged tea that I still really love to drink - it's the passion flavor from Tazo. I want to find a loose leaf tea that has a similar taste. All I know is that it's a herbal blend with hibiscus, orange, rose hips, & passion fruit flavors. I like how it is slightly tart but also strong and a bit sweet/fruity. I don't know what flavor is the strongest in it but I really do like the tea, even though it's bagged.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thank you for the great sources! You've given me a lot of knowledge and I have learned a bit more.
    I have a few names I definitely want to try soon, and a couple new websites I can purchase tea on. :) I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

They also have peppermint loose leaf tea, I've tried it before and loved it. (to the person who mentioned drinking that bagged).

I am from the midwest, and there might be tea shops in my state but not in my small city. Most likely in the large cities, I will have to look.
    I'll be in Colorado this month, I should look up tea shops so when I'm traveling I can check some out.

Teavana does seem a bit more pricey than some of the other online stores I've visited. But I will still try it sometime even if I just choose a couple samples. :)

There is one bagged tea that I still really love to drink - it's the passion flavor from Tazo. I want to find a loose leaf tea that has a similar taste. All I know is that it's a herbal blend with hibiscus, orange, rose hips, & passion fruit flavors. I like how it is slightly tart but also strong and a bit sweet/fruity. I don't know what flavor is the strongest in it but I really do like the tea, even though it's bagged.

What part of the Midwest are you in? If you are anywhere near my neck of the woods, I might be able to recommend a place or two.

Never apologize for drinking bagged tea, it is all about what you like. I am not a fan of tisanes or really fruity teas but a friend turned me on to Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos, which only comes in a bag.

• ObtainingBalance
    Options

What part of the Midwest are you in? If you are anywhere near my neck of the woods, I might be able to recommend a place or two.

Never apologize for drinking bagged tea, it is all about what you like. I am not a fan of tisanes or really fruity teas but a friend turned me on to Celestial Seasonings Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos, which only comes in a bag.

I'm from Kansas. If anyone knows any good tea shops here let me know... there are none that I've heard of, but I could be wrong.
    I usually don't drink fruity teas often but the passion fruit tea is amazing. :D
    I've never tried the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos, but it sounds delicious.

• earlnabby
    Options

I'm from Kansas. If anyone knows any good tea shops here let me know... there are none that I've heard of, but I could be wrong.
    I usually don't drink fruity teas often but the passion fruit tea is amazing. :D
    I've never tried the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Rooibos, but it sounds delicious.

I only know the Overland Park area back when I worked for Penzey's Spices. That was one of the stores I was regional manager of. The vanilla rooibos can be found at most groceries that carry Celestial Seasonings

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    my current favourite for the morning is a Ceylon Dimbula BOP, Brunswick Breakfast Tea. When brewed it looks so pale, but boy does it pack a punch!!! As an afternoon tea I'm rather partial to a touch of Russian Caravan - a gentle smokiness not as powerful as the hit you might get from a Lapsang. For me, my tea preferences change throughout the day.

Don't forget that with high quality chinese teas you should re-use the leaves - as someone else mentioned, the first time you throw water over them you toss that water away, and they are good for another 4 brews or so. And pay attention to the temperature that is recommended for brewing - many people say that green tea tastes bitter but that's often because they have burnt the leaves by pouring too hot water on them. I use an old-fashioned egg-timer for brewing tea.

I have a lovely Dian Hong red tea which is very comforting, and an entire cupboard of black, red and green teas from all over, and pretty much never have bagged tea. I despair of my fellow Brits who say that nothing beats a cup of PG Tips.

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I oscillate between the two depending on whether I'm going to ice it or not and convenience.

But I buy most mine at The Spice & Tea Exchange of Gatlinburg. They have a coconut oolong that's pretty tasty.

I also have a tea cruche:
    bodum-biasca-ice-tea-cruche-1-2-l.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've tried Teavana but find them to be way overpriced. The best place I've found for quality and great prices is Indigo Tea. I get 75% of my loose leaf tea there. My favorites from Indigo Tea are
    For the very best Japanese Sencha teas, I've found no better place than O-cha.com and the best of the best is their Shincha, which is the very first tea harvest of the year. The tea is expensive but can be steeped many times. This type does not go into storage so it's only available for a limited time each year (May to June, I think).

The Tea Source is another great place, but generally more expensive than Indigo Tea.
    I don't do flavored teas, generally, but occasionally I'll have an Earl Grey
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    oh and another thing to add - if the caffeine in tea is a problem, then pour boiling water over the tea, throw that away, THEN steep the tea. The caffeine is mostly washed away with that first rinse of the leaves.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    oh and another thing to add - if the caffeine in tea is a problem, then pour boiling water over the tea, throw that away, THEN steep the tea. The caffeine is mostly washed away with that first rinse of the leaves.

That's awesome, I did not know that!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've tried Teavana but find them to be way overpriced. The best place I've found for quality and great prices is Indigo Tea. I get 75% of my loose leaf tea there. My favorites from Indigo Tea are
    For the very best Japanese Sencha teas, I've found no better place than O-cha.com and the best of the best is their Shincha, which is the very first tea harvest of the year. The tea is expensive but can be steeped many times. This type does not go into storage so it's only available for a limited time each year (May to June, I think).

The Tea Source is another great place, but generally more expensive than Indigo Tea.
    I don't do flavored teas, generally, but occasionally I'll have an Earl Grey

The prices are decent there. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I'm really surprised at how many of you also drink loose leaf tea and how you all had so many different suggestions, I didn't expect this many replies. You guys should have a loose leaf tea group. :)