Loose Leaf Tea

Options

Replies

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great sources! You've given me a lot of knowledge and I have learned a bit more.
    I have a few names I definitely want to try soon, and a couple new websites I can purchase tea on. :) I really appreciate your time and thoughts!

They also have peppermint loose leaf tea, I've tried it before and loved it. (to the person who mentioned drinking that bagged).

I am from the midwest, and there might be tea shops in my state but not in my small city. Most likely in the large cities, I will have to look.
    I'll be in Colorado this month, I should look up tea shops so when I'm traveling I can check some out.

Teavana does seem a bit more pricey than some of the other online stores I've visited. But I will still try it sometime even if I just choose a couple samples. :)

There is one bagged tea that I still really love to drink - it's the passion flavor from Tazo. I want to find a loose leaf tea that has a similar taste. All I know is that it's a herbal blend with hibiscus, orange, rose hips, & passion fruit flavors. I like how it is slightly tart but also strong and a bit sweet/fruity. I don't know what flavor is the strongest in it but I really do like the tea, even though it's bagged.

If you like tart hibiscus fruit teas, David's Tea uses it a lot in their herbal blends.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Teavana is SO expensive! and deceiving as they list their prices per 50g rather than the standard per 100g (In canada anyways). I usually would get my loose leaf from health food stores otherwise.

I really like t-sacs (fill your own tea filters) for on the go tea.
  • kdcancan
    kdcancan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I rally enjoy a good cup green tea. My favorite for a while was Rishi Earl Green. But I drank so much of it I've been drinking a variety of unflavored Japanese green teas. It's hard to drink paper bag tea after loose. I'll be trying somE Chinese green tea for comparison
  • lindamc721
    lindamc721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to get mine at Market Spice in Seattle. One of my favorites is their signature "Market Spice Cinnamon-Orange" They have an online store and quite a variety.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a great source of loose leaf is Etsy. Kamala Perfumes has some nice ones. I like to stop by her booth at Bristol Renaissance Faire
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    lindamc721 wrote: »
    I like to get mine at Market Spice in Seattle. One of my favorites is their signature "Market Spice Cinnamon-Orange" They have an online store and quite a variety.

I love Market Spice and have tried a few of theirs...that said though...I HATE the cinnamon-orange. Lol.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love love Adagio. Harney and Sons has some really good teas too, especially around the holidays
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There is a farmers market every Sunday during the summer near me and last year (and hopefully this year...i haven't been yet) there was a girl who sold tea there. She grew all the ingredients herself and put all the different flavor combinations together herself. It's soooooo good. Expensive but delicious.
  • danprin1
    danprin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Teavana tea.... I love Youthberry, it's awesome!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Where in Colorado? If you're staying near Boulder, be sure to check out Ku-Cha and the Dunshanbe Tea House. There's a few tea places out here in Denver, but most of them are out in the suburbs and ridiculously low quality.

Colorado Springs. I think boulder is a bit of a drive from where I'll be. Thank you for the suggestions though
    That sucks that some of them around Denver are low quality :(
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    Teavana is SO expensive! and deceiving as they list their prices per 50g rather than the standard per 100g (In canada anyways). I usually would get my loose leaf from health food stores otherwise.

I really like t-sacs (fill your own tea filters) for on the go tea.

When I go to the Teavana website the price reflects a 2oz package (and you can change the size).

t-sacs come in handy but I use them quickly!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    lindamc721 wrote: »

I looked up their website, it looks like there is a wide selection of teas. I've only been to Seattle once, but if I'm ever in WA again I know where to go :)
    In the future I might buy some samples from their site to test the tea out (when I'm running low on tea).

• ObtainingBalance
    Options
    There is a farmers market every Sunday during the summer near me and last year (and hopefully this year...i haven't been yet) there was a girl who sold tea there. She grew all the ingredients herself and put all the different flavor combinations together herself. It's soooooo good. Expensive but delicious.

That's awesome!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    The most recent package I ordered from Tea Guys included a small sample of Pu-erh, so I tried it today. It was pretty strong, but I have to say that I liked it. I added a small amount of stevia to it (as I usually do with my teas) but I didn't add any cream because I felt like I wouldn't experience the full flavor with add-ins.

• ObtainingBalance
    edited June 2015
    Options
    AppletronX wrote: »
    What is a good loose leaf tea to try for someone just getting into teas? I never used to drink much tea but trying to change that.

Have you tried loose leaf tea at all?

For someone just getting into tea, if you don't even know what type you favor (black, white, green, oolong, herbal, chai, etc)
    I would suggest going to one of the websites suggested and ordering samples from a few different categories. Just trying them out can help you discover which types you prefer most. The samples don't usually have more than 2-3 servings and they're pretty cheap.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, it seems like there are a lot of loose leaf tea drinkers on MFP =)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    a great source of loose leaf is Etsy. Kamala Perfumes has some nice ones. I like to stop by her booth at Bristol Renaissance Faire

Come out to Waukesha. Downtown has a great little tea shop called The Steaming Cup. They have a nice cafe and serve tea and coffee along with sandwiches and baked goods, but they also sell their teas in bulk so you can take a selection home with you. http://www.thesteamingcup.com/ They have a separate tea room where they will do a high tea for a group.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love DavidsTeas. Haven't tried Teavana. Also, Bulk Barn has loose teas.