Loose Leaf Tea

Options
124»

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    AppletronX wrote: »

I've tried it once. Smelled way better than it tasted. Ok I'll try the websites, thanks!

There's this supposedly great loose leaf tea store near where I just moved and It would be a shame if I didn't at least try.

Do you remember what type you tried? Did you add any sweetener or cream?

You should totally check out the local store!

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm a tea blogger (oolong owl represent!) I have over 500 teas in my collection.

I'd say my favorite sellers right now are Mandala Tea, White2Tea and Lupicia. I'm more of an oolong and pu'er drinker. No milk/sugar usually and I prefer steeping with a gaiwan.

My tip is to buy SAMPLES. Buy no more than 1oz/30grams. I avoid sellers who don't do samples and don't get sucked into buying volume for a discount unless you've had the tea before. Being stuck with a bunch of pricey tea you don't like sucks.

If I know I'm going to buy a bigger amount, I want to know how old the tea is - tea has a short shelf life of around 1 year before the flavor goes stale (shorter if it has fruit/chocolate in it, longer if it is pu'er and stored correctly). If a seller can't tell me what year it is, I walk away.

For suggestions on cheap prices, I'd hit Upton Tea Imports. They got a huge range (in both tea types and quality) and do sample sizes. It is also worth hitting up tea communities (steepster) and buying off people selling some of their teas, doing tea swaps or travelling tea boxes.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I'm a tea blogger (oolong owl represent!) I have over 500 teas in my collection.

I'd say my favorite sellers right now are Mandala Tea, White2Tea and Lupicia. I'm more of an oolong and pu'er drinker. No milk/sugar usually and I prefer steeping with a gaiwan.

My tip is to buy SAMPLES. Buy no more than 1oz/30grams. I avoid sellers who don't do samples and don't get sucked into buying volume for a discount unless you've had the tea before. Being stuck with a bunch of pricey tea you don't like sucks.

If I know I'm going to buy a bigger amount, I want to know how old the tea is - tea has a short shelf life of around 1 year before the flavor goes stale (shorter if it has fruit/chocolate in it, longer if it is pu'er and stored correctly). If a seller can't tell me what year it is, I walk away.

For suggestions on cheap prices, I'd hit Upton Tea Imports. They got a huge range (in both tea types and quality) and do sample sizes. It is also worth hitting up tea communities (steepster) and buying off people selling some of their teas, doing tea swaps or travelling tea boxes.

I'm going to check out your blog. :)
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I have really gotten back into loose leaf tea. I've gone about 2 months now cutting out sugar from my diet and I've found that one awesome side benefit is that I can really taste the flavors in tea in a way I couldn't before. It's the same with coffee -- I can now taste caramel, or cherry, or chocolatey undertones.

Anyway, I went to Teavana but was pretty disgusted with their upsell techniques and some shady sales tactics. I did some research on them and they have a terrible reputation (deliberately overfilling, mis-quoting prices, using artificial flavors, etc.) I switched to Adagio and am really happy so far. They list all their ingredients and they have such a great range of flavors.

Right now I'm really into the fruity teas, since its one million degrees here in Atlanta and all I want is iced!

Some of my favorites:
    Cold brew mango iced tea
    Irish Breakfast with a little of their Cream tea added
    Caramel tea combined with apple cinnamon
    Key Lime Pie tea -- it's lime plus cream plus some others -- it's pretty expensive but oh so good
    Blueberry green tea
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love Davids Tea! Lots of selection. When you order online, they send you samples. I love me some tea! Unfortunately, my loose leaf is running low at the moment, and I'm broke.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love English Breakfast tea. The only looseleaf tea I have was a gift. It's from Teavana and it's been really delicious. I got an English Breakfast one, and then another completely random one that was super yummy (but it had sugar in it, so not sure how terribly healthy it is).

I believe Whole Foods sells loose leaf tea - I saw a Rose tea once that I didn't have the money for at the time, but if I ever see it again I'll be all over that *kitten*. I had it once when I was in, like, middle school and it was so wonderful. :smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I love this thread! I have really gotten back into loose leaf tea. I've gone about 2 months now cutting out sugar from my diet and I've found that one awesome side benefit is that I can really taste the flavors in tea in a way I couldn't before. It's the same with coffee -- I can now taste caramel, or cherry, or chocolatey undertones.

Anyway, I went to Teavana but was pretty disgusted with their upsell techniques and some shady sales tactics. I did some research on them and they have a terrible reputation (deliberately overfilling, mis-quoting prices, using artificial flavors, etc.) I switched to Adagio and am really happy so far. They list all their ingredients and they have such a great range of flavors.

Right now I'm really into the fruity teas, since its one million degrees here in Atlanta and all I want is iced!

Some of my favorites:
    Cold brew mango iced tea
    Irish Breakfast with a little of their Cream tea added
    Caramel tea combined with apple cinnamon
    Key Lime Pie tea -- it's lime plus cream plus some others -- it's pretty expensive but oh so good
    Blueberry green tea

I've cut back on sugar in the past, I can understand what you mean by tasting the flavors to the fullest.

Adagio is pretty decent :) I haven't ordered from them recently but I'm a member so I can use it anytime. I enjoy tea sites that allow you to earn points.

Thanks for sharing your favorites!
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    I love Davids Tea! Lots of selection. When you order online, they send you samples. I love me some tea! Unfortunately, my loose leaf is running low at the moment, and I'm broke.

I'm at a point where I can't afford to order any new tea, and mine is a bit low too. I haven't used all my loose leaf tea yet but I'm not drinking it daily either (in the past I'd drink several cups a day lol).

This summer I discovered yet another tea that I like; I found a Jasmine tea at a local Asian market. I didn't think I'd like a light Jasmine tea, but I tried it and I don't regret it. :) Not too pricey either, compared to some of the gourmet teas I've bought online.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    I love English Breakfast tea. The only looseleaf tea I have was a gift. It's from Teavana and it's been really delicious. I got an English Breakfast one, and then another completely random one that was super yummy (but it had sugar in it, so not sure how terribly healthy it is).

I believe Whole Foods sells loose leaf tea - I saw a Rose tea once that I didn't have the money for at the time, but if I ever see it again I'll be all over that *kitten*. I had it once when I was in, like, middle school and it was so wonderful. :smile:

Sounds good. :)