What do you put in your coffee?

Options
Hi!
I'm a MFP lurker. Love reading all the posts and I finally decided to ask a question of my own. I'm down 10 pounds in about 6 weeks (still have about 25 more to go) I've really started paying attention to what I'm eating and trading in the cookies and candy for yogurt and nuts. I haven't had liquid calories, (except for the weekend wine glass or two) and COFFEE. Coffee is my addiction. But I can't drink it black. I have an average of 2-3 cups every morning. I used to be a "little coffee with my cream and sugar" type girl, but I have been able to cut back a lot. However I know it's not enough. I probably have 1-2 tsp of half and half and sugar in every cup. I like it more sweet than not. I've thought about trying the SILK brand creamers, but then I've read that they aren't that much better for you? I've tried straight almond milk and I didn't like it.
So what do you guys put in your coffee? Any tricks to help wean me from adding so much extra to it? I need my coffee in the morning. I know I could cut back the amount that I drink. I just want ideas of what else I could maybe put in it to make it sweet, but without the excess calories and sugar?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1 or 2 splendas, depending on the size of the coffee. Black... more people would like it black if they actually bought good coffee and took the time to do it right. It shouldn't be overly bitter or acrid.

A tasty, single origin, quality coffee is more important to me. Whole bean, French press, and I'm set.

My daily coffee calories are negligible.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    5% light cream and have 2tbsp per coffee x 3 coffees a day. I don't like it black.
  • brittanyalvear18
    brittanyalvear18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought Splenda was bad for you???
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    I thought Splenda was bad for you???

False, considering we don't consume it in pounds.

Everything in moderation.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    WELL...my take is that you can totally work the coffee you love into your daily calories and enjoy life one cup at a time :) That being said, I drink one cup of black coffee (espresso) brewed strong and piping hot each morning. Then, I use chocolate or vanilla protein powder, coffee, and ice in the blender to make a protein shake. Sometimes I freeze black coffee in the ice cube trays and use those so it isn't watered down. It isn't quite a frappucino, and it isn't quite like plain coffee, but is is pretty darn tasty considering I would drink a protein shake anyways. I have never done this with hot coffee, but bet you could. I use a whey protein powder. I just bought a bag of the muscle milk 100% whey vanilla protein powder at Costco, and to me it is like a creamy coconut. SO tasty in the coffee shakes. For me, I would drink the calories of the protein shake anyways. And, while I love milk and sugar in my coffee, I have found that when using a french press and brewing great quality espresso beans I prefer the coffee black.

But, again, to stick with this you have to find what will work for you. Can you add a few more minutes of activity to allow for the calories in your cream and sugar? Can you cut a few calories elsewhere? I don't see a problem with calories in a few tsp of half and half and sugar.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't like my coffee super hot, so I like adding just enough to make it drinkable. A tsp of anything never cuts it. I use 1/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a sprinkle of splenda. A 1/4 cup of the almond milk is only 7 calories.
    I missed the part you already tried almond milk. The vanilla flavored is better IMO.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm a MFP lurker. Love reading all the posts and I finally decided to ask a question of my own. I'm down 10 pounds in about 6 weeks (still have about 25 more to go) I've really started paying attention to what I'm eating and trading in the cookies and candy for yogurt and nuts. I haven't had liquid calories, (except for the weekend wine glass or two) and COFFEE. Coffee is my addiction. But I can't drink it black. I have an average of 2-3 cups every morning. I used to be a "little coffee with my cream and sugar" type girl, but I have been able to cut back a lot. However I know it's not enough. I probably have 1-2 tsp of half and half and sugar in every cup. I like it more sweet than not. I've thought about trying the SILK brand creamers, but then I've read that they aren't that much better for you? I've tried straight almond milk and I didn't like it.
    So what do you guys put in your coffee? Any tricks to help wean me from adding so much extra to it? I need my coffee in the morning. I know I could cut back the amount that I drink. I just want ideas of what else I could maybe put in it to make it sweet, but without the excess calories and sugar?

Thanks!!!

When I began MFP I was putting over half of cup of half and half with about 4 spoon fulls of sugar in my coffee each day. So I know your situation and im here to help.

My first suggestion is just to decide is it worth it? I held onto my coffee for long time until I decided it's not anymore.

If you decide you want to cut back I would suggest gradually cutting it back, mix less and less cream and sugar as time passes and eventually u get used to it. I occasionally will do half and half again but only a tablespoon with Splenda and it tastes great now. I never thought I could drink it that way a year ago.

There's also alternatives such as Splenda and skim milk. That's the way I go and now my giant coffees are about 30-50 calories.
  • MsJoisey
    MsJoisey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tablespoons of half and half and a packet of stevia or Splenda. I use to drink a lot more coffee than
    I do now but cut back because I didn't want to give up the half and half. Rather drink less and enjoy it the way I like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I learned to take it black. Now I don't like it sweet.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I learned to take it black.

That's what she said.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Generally, I use silk organic unsweetened soy milk and some kind of sweetener, sometimes sugar-free flavored syrup, sometimes sweet-n-low. Sometimes I add protein powder or 1/2 protein shake. When I'm not at home, I use whatever is available:)
  • wwells13
    wwells13 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't do this for all coffee, but at least once a day. It depends on my protein intake, but I have a 20 oz coffee cup and I put a little whole milk, Stevia and one or two scoops of Isopure Protein powder. I blend all but the coffee in the cup with mixing stick/wand and then as I mix it I add a third of the coffee to blend and then top off with the balance of the coffee. Protein is 105 calories per scoop and 25 grams of protein. Protein is king. Vegetables are Queen as I believe Jack LaLanne use to say. If you forgo the milk you can use some cold water to mix the protein. Good luck and have fun. It's not a journey, but a new way of live. Isopure Protein is "0" carbs. I use the vanilla flavor so it replaces any flavored creamer and you can use more or less to taste.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also like to add a little vanilla extract!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I add a packet of stevia to my coffee. Costco had a bulk box! I have grown accustomed to the taste.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    wwells13 wrote: »
    one or two scoops of Isopure Protein powder
    Is your coffee iced coffee? I read that heat denatures the proteins rendering it less than full power.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I only use 1-1.5 servings of French vanilla creamer in my first cup to eat/drink with some cookies. the rest I drink black.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    1 or 2 splendas, depending on the size of the coffee. Black... more people would like it black if they actually bought good coffee and took the time to do it right. It shouldn't be overly bitter or acrid.

A tasty, single origin, quality coffee is more important to me. Whole bean, French press, and I'm set.

My daily coffee calories are negligible.

I was once one of those "coffee with my cream and sugar" until I discovered the beauty of good quality coffee done right (I'm also a French press fan). I guess I've become a bit of a coffee snob to the point of roasting my own beans. Yum.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink black coffee but I've been enjoying Coffee Mate's hazelnut flavor recently.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I learned to take it black.

That's what she said.

Ha!
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Water ;) I like my coffee black,no sugar. A good coffee I find the right level of sweetness already. I do drink cappuccino every now and again though - strangely I like that whereas milk in standard coffee I just can't stand.