Porridge/Oatmeal

Options
This easy to prepare breakfast has become such an integral part of my daily routine - without it I would be lost - and would also lose a serious fuel source that I would find hard to replace.
I try to mix it up as much as I can and if anyone checks out my food diary you will notice that I add my own nuts and seeds and vary the fruit from day to day.
I don't eat a lot of fruit as it contains high levels of sugar but berries and bananas make it into the mixer when im preparing this Hunger Buster meal. A sprinkle of cinnamon tops it off and what you are left with is a dish packed full of Slow release carbs, Healthy fats(nuts), vitamins and antioxidants(berries).
Anyone serious about their training should not let a day pass without getting this kind of meal into them 1st thing:)

I will be posting more of my favourite meals all made with sports and performance in mind, that I eat regularly to fuel my body with the energy it needs to perform at a high level.
Feel free to add me on MFP or message me for any other tips or nutrition queries you might have:)

Instagram:
Bobby.Doran.Fit

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have it every morning and add bananas or berries, chia seeds and hemp hearts and top it with almond milk.
  • userfriendly2
    userfriendly2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Its an absolute must have - have you tried Linseeds and Goji berries to mix it up. Adds a serious Fibre boost (of which most people are scarily deficient)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I'm always looking out for new ways to mix it up.
  • userfriendly2
    Options
    Do and be sure to let me know what you think:) Thanks for the add btw:)
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    True lover of oatmeal over here! Oatmeal+peanut butter ❤️
  • userfriendly2
    Options
    True lover of oatmeal over here! Oatmeal+peanut butter ❤️

Would you believe I have honestly never tried that and I love peanut butter haha. 100% getting made tomorrow morning:)
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favorite is oatmeal with 1/2 a tablespoon each of peanut butter and honey. So, so good.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal for dinner/dessert most weeknights! I do about 50g oats with a drop of cane syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered ginger, and allspice, then I top it off with a sliced banana, 15g pumpkin seeds, and 15g mini chocolate chips. I finish it with a grind of pink sea salt. For an extra boost, I throw in some nutritional yeast.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love porridge! I use 40 grams of oatmeal, polenta, semolina (cream of wheat), or millet, 100 grams whole milk, 100-150 grams water (semolina needs more fluid), 1/2 ts salt. Cooking time/method varies - oatmeal 2x2 minutes in microwave, polenta 4 minutes and millet adnd semolina 10 minutes on stovetop, millet also requires a few hours of soaking. A lump of butter to make it completely irresistible.

I eat a lot of fruit and nuts, but not in my porridge.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ahhh dear god do I love oatmeal. When i'm not freaking out over delicious morning smoothies, I'm having some oatmeal for breakfast. It's a good kind of carb that will fuel you for long in the AM. I like mine with one sliced banana, 1/8 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon, and I also like to slash the water in half and replace it with milk when cooking (1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup 2% milk) to add some more protein, since the oats themselves don't have much. So you got your fiber AND protein fix! (and the texture is 300% more awesome, fyi)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal made with almond milk with almond butter and jam is my favorite. Not so calorie friendly though... and I can't eat it before any impact exercise or it ends badly, lol.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of oats, though I usually eat it for supper :) My favorite combo is a serving of oats made with water, and then I add walnuts, ground flax seed, frozen blueberries and a bit of brown sugar sprinkled on top.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »
    My favorite is oatmeal with 1/2 a tablespoon each of peanut butter and honey. So, so good.

I'm going to try honey next time I make it-never thought of that, but it sounds really good!
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »

I'm going to try honey next time I make it-never thought of that, but it sounds really good!

It's so funny, I love honey but it had never occurred to me, either, until I went out to a fancy brunch in NYC. I had honey oatmeal and I never got over that meal, haha. I make the oats plain in the microwave with skim milk, then stir in the honey before letting it cool (and as I said, I do a little pb, too). It's heavenly, enjoy!
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I could eat oatmeal for every meal......it's so versatile...how do you keep it clean, for clean eating?
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I went through a stage liking it, but eating sweet things for breakfast makes me feel sick and i always prefer something savory.

I like them with just water and salt then cooked for 15 min till very soft.

Otherwise il only eat for dessert

Actaully i much prefer quick cook oats, eaten raw like cereal, mix in some dessicated coconut and honey.

• angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I try so hard to like oatmeal but the texture isn't for me
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Anyone serious about their training should not let a day pass without getting this kind of meal into them 1st thing:)

I will be posting more of my favourite meals all made with sports and performance in mind, that I eat regularly to fuel my body with the energy it needs to perform at a high level.
    Feel free to add me on MFP or message me for any other tips or nutrition queries you might have:)

Instagram:
    Bobby.Doran.Fit

There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love oats. Found some recipes on YouTube where you mix it up and leave it over night in The fridge.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I could eat oatmeal for every meal......it's so versatile...how do you keep it clean, for clean eating?

Heating to boiling point takes care of any bugs or microbes. No problemo.