Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Does ' oats so simple ' count :wink:
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I love porridge, I used to have it for breakfast everyday but had to stop because it made me so hungry. I know it's supposed to be a slow release energy food and keep you full for longer, but it seemed to have the opposite effect on me. Days when I have porridge for breakfast I'm so hungry by 11am that food is all I can think about, but if I have pretty much anything else for breakfast I stay full right up to lunchtime. I really don't understand it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Another porridge lover over here! With peanut butter, dried fruit, seeds, etc
  • userfriendly2
    userfriendly2 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean [/quote]There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night. [/quote]

There is no reason??

I could list a million reasons why someone serious about their training should fuel up on a meal like this and that all depends on the person and their individual training plan. Anyone who needs the slow release low GI carbs from this meal in the morning to give them the energy they need to get them up and ready for work/training will see only benefits from this unless they have an oat intolerance etc..
    You should step into my world and play a competitive football match for 80mins on your lower carb diet while your body is in a ketogenic state.. Be humorous to see how well you perform...
    If you yourself are an advocate of the ketogenic diet or for some reason prefer to delay the onset of glycolysis by avoiding carbs then thats perferct if it suits you, but there is no added advantage to this style of dieting over one with a basic macro layout of 50 20 30, - but for most people who are "serious" they don't train at night time and judging by most of my friends on MFP - they don't either, going by their times that they update their exercise diary.
    Most sports athletes professional and amateur also don't train at night and most sporting events; matches and games etc also happen around midday - globally!
    I don usually entertain vomments like yours in the first place given the fact it comes across as trolling and belligerent but the sheer ignorance of saying there is no reason to eat a meal like that is just mind bafflingly ridiculous and typical of someone who has jumped onto the latest craze of intermittent fasting and believes that nothing else will work except for their "revolutionary" diet plan
  • userfriendly2
    Options
    I love porridge, I used to have it for breakfast everyday but had to stop because it made me so hungry. I know it's supposed to be a slow release energy food and keep you full for longer, but it seemed to have the opposite effect on me. Days when I have porridge for breakfast I'm so hungry by 11am that food is all I can think about, but if I have pretty much anything else for breakfast I stay full right up to lunchtime. I really don't understand it.

Hey this could be down to your metabolism and perhaps you burn energy quickly in which case maybe having a snack at around 1030 would be beneficial, another thing which I often find with a lot of people is that they dont realise that a standard bowl of porridge is made with only 40g of oats - this is a good size portion but definitely not enough to get you through to lunch if your breakfast was at 7am or 8am for instance.
    Slow release carbs are good for slowly releasing energy - this isn't the same as making you "feel" fuller though. If you want this effect a high fat and protein breakfast choice may be more suited to you - its all about what suits your day and what you have planned ahead :) and of course what satisfies your appetite always helps too :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I do better with more protein. If I add some protein powder to my oats I tend to stay full as long as with my eggs. Without it I tend to get hungry sooner.

I include veggies in both breakfasts, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night. [/quote]

There is no reason??

I could list a million reasons why someone serious about their training should fuel up on a meal like this and that all depends on the person and their individual training plan. Anyone who needs the slow release low GI carbs from this meal in the morning to give them the energy they need to get them up and ready for work/training will see only benefits from this unless they have an oat intolerance etc..
    You should step into my world and play a competitive football match for 80mins on your lower carb diet while your body is in a ketogenic state.. Be humorous to see how well you perform...
    If you yourself are an advocate of the ketogenic diet or for some reason prefer to delay the onset of glycolysis by avoiding carbs then thats perferct if it suits you, but there is no added advantage to this style of dieting over one with a basic macro layout of 50 20 30, - but for most people who are "serious" they don't train at night time and judging by most of my friends on MFP - they don't either, going by their times that they update their exercise diary.
    Most sports athletes professional and amateur also don't train at night and most sporting events; matches and games etc also happen around midday - globally!
    I don usually entertain vomments like yours in the first place given the fact it comes across as trolling and belligerent but the sheer ignorance of saying there is no reason to eat a meal like that is just mind bafflingly ridiculous and typical of someone who has jumped onto the latest craze of intermittent fasting and believes that nothing else will work except for their "revolutionary" diet plan[/quote]

That's a nice lot of assumptions and generalisations. Well done. I won't bother to even correct you or explain myself as you're clearly knowledgeable about every single person and sport on the planet.
  • userfriendly2
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night.

There is no reason??

I don usually entertain vomments like yours in the first place given the fact it comes across as trolling and belligerent but the sheer ignorance of saying there is no reason to eat a meal like that is just mind bafflingly ridiculous and typical of someone who has jumped onto the latest craze of intermittent fasting and believes that nothing else will work except for their "revolutionary" diet plan[/quote]

That's a nice lot of assumptions and generalisations. Well done. I won't bother to even correct you or explain myself as you're clearly knowledgeable about every single person and sport on the planet. [/quote]

Apology accepted ;-)

• livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night.

There is no reason??

I don usually entertain vomments like yours in the first place given the fact it comes across as trolling and belligerent but the sheer ignorance of saying there is no reason to eat a meal like that is just mind bafflingly ridiculous and typical of someone who has jumped onto the latest craze of intermittent fasting and believes that nothing else will work except for their "revolutionary" diet plan

That's a nice lot of assumptions and generalisations. Well done. I won't bother to even correct you or explain myself as you're clearly knowledgeable about every single person and sport on the planet. [/quote]

Apology accepted ;-)

[/quote]

Nice try. I don't see the point in arguing with someone who can't accept that anything but their own way could possibly work.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of oats, though I usually eat it for supper :) My favorite combo is a serving of oats made with water, and then I add walnuts, ground flax seed, frozen blueberries and a bit of brown sugar sprinkled on top.

I like it for dinner too. I have it with yogurt and raspberries.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night.

There is no reason??

Well, I'm not going to go into the whole low-carb thing, but I will say this. I work out fasted.

Why?

If I eat before working out? I will throw up.

My trainer, who is far more "serious" about training than I am, does the same.

A lot of people train fasted, and have plenty of glycogen stores to tap to see them through.
  • Pastela
    Pastela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every morning I eat 1/4 cup of steel coat oats mixed with a 5.3 oz container of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt and around 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I also use blueberries/strawberries and a little bit of honey for sweetness. It's a pretty satisfying breakfast without all of the added processed sugar. The fiber in the oats and protein from the yogurt keeps my hunger down until lunch time.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean There is absolutely no reason that anyone, regardless of how "serious" they are about their training, needs to have this type of meal first thing. If that's what you like, go for it. Personally I feel better avoiding food first thing, and eating lower carb meals unless around training.... Which for me happens at night.

There is no reason??

Well, I'm not going to go into the whole low-carb thing, but I will say this. I work out fasted.

Why?

If I eat before working out? I will throw up.

My trainer, who is far more "serious" about training than I am, does the same.

A lot of people train fasted, and have plenty of glycogen stores to tap to see them through.

Yep. When I used to run in the morning (need to get back to this, as I prefer it to running in the evening) I couldn't eat before. I'd often have oatmeal after running (and often have eggs instead), but there was no difficulty in simply relying on the carbs I'd had the night before. And I did generally find having some carbs with dinner made me feel more energetic when running in the morning, although it's quite possible that's just psychological.

Now if I workout in the morning it's usually weights, and I do like to eat before--I like to eat first thing in the morning anyway when possible because I like it, not because I think it matters for weight loss. But I have a vegetable omelet rather than the oatmeal more often than not (often with fruit or dairy on the side, granted), and despite it being much lower carb it doesn't seem to matter to my performance at all.

Quite possible I'm just not sufficiently elite, of course, but most here are not, and from my perusal of what various elite athletes eat it seems to me there's really quite a variety.

Oatmeal is super easy and tasty, though, so I'm all in favor. I usually prefer the texture of steel cut, but have some rolled oats from the farmer's market I've been meaning to try.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I'm on my morning snack before 11am. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup quaker minute oats, 2/3 scoop quest chocolate milkshake, T crunchy pb.
  • userfriendly2
    Options

There is no reason??

That's a nice lot of assumptions and generalisations. Well done. I won't bother to even correct you or explain myself as you're clearly knowledgeable about every single person and sport on the planet.

Apology accepted ;-)

[/quote]

There is no reason??

Apology accepted ;-)

[/quote]

Nice try. I don't see the point in arguing with someone who can't accept that anything but their own way could possibly work. [/quote]

Ok well this is getting very awkward, and apparently there has been some sort of miscommunication. In your original response to my first post you argued that there is "absolutely no reason someone who is serious about training should eat porridge in the morning"
    To me this comment stinks of someone who is narrow minded and set in their own ways; an affliction you are trying to say I have - Not true. I would never in any of my wotk adopt a one size fits all approach. My main arguement with you was your over the top belligerent response. Intermittent fasting works for some people and not for others. Oats agree with some people and not with others. I posted a thread to convey my passion for this fuel source and how it is beneficial to anyone who is serious about there training. You chose to post a reply in the effort to strongly convey your opinion in the hope of starting an arguement. In a community where we all try to share experiences, ideas and bring everybody up to their highest level through friendly conversation, you seem to choose arguements and opinionated, narrow mindedness over anything that remotely resembles the core values on which this community is built on.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesnt eat oatmeal. Its just doesnt have enough volume for my liking, and to make it a balanced meal, it needs so much stuff added to it. In the end it ends up being like 4-500 calories for a decent portion. Id rather eat something else that fills me up more I guess
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like raw oats in yoghurt with honey...does that make me weird?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesnt eat oatmeal. Its just doesnt have enough volume for my liking, and to make it a balanced meal, it needs so much stuff added to it. In the end it ends up being like 4-500 calories for a decent portion. Id rather eat something else that fills me up more I guess

I like oatmeal and usually have it a couple times a week, but I eat eggs a lot more often.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

There is no reason??

Apology accepted ;-)

There is no reason??

Apology accepted ;-)

[/quote]

Nice try. I don't see the point in arguing with someone who can't accept that anything but their own way could possibly work. [/quote]

Ok well this is getting very awkward, and apparently there has been some sort of miscommunication. In your original response to my first post you argued that there is "absolutely no reason someone who is serious about training should eat porridge in the morning"
    To me this comment stinks of someone who is narrow minded and set in their own ways; an affliction you are trying to say I have - Not true. I would never in any of my wotk adopt a one size fits all approach. My main arguement with you was your over the top belligerent response. Intermittent fasting works for some people and not for others. Oats agree with some people and not with others. I posted a thread to convey my passion for this fuel source and how it is beneficial to anyone who is serious about there training. You chose to post a reply in the effort to strongly convey your opinion in the hope of starting an arguement. In a community where we all try to share experiences, ideas and bring everybody up to their highest level through friendly conversation, you seem to choose arguements and opinionated, narrow mindedness over anything that remotely resembles the core values on which this community is built on.

[/quote]

Contradictions, again.

I was merely stating that your enthusiasm over oats being a beneficial breakfast for anyone "serious" about training wasn't justified. You've stated yourself that everyone is different, so no, oats are not required or necessarily beneficial for everyone who is serious about training. I wasn't trying to start an argument, the aim was simply to suggest that there are alternatives for those who don't want to chow down on a bowl of oats every day.