Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Options

Replies

• TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Personnally on a first date I like to dine at the Y
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    10 pages in and no report on how the date went yet :(

yoda_failed.jpg

Clearly she took my advice, and the date went so well that the young lovers decided to elope. I expect we'll have to wait a week or so before we get to see some of the honeymoon pics from an exotic locale.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

yoda_failed.jpg

Clearly she took my advice, and the date went so well that the young lovers decided to elope. I expect we'll have to wait a week or so before we get to see some of the honeymoon pics from an exotic locale.

That's what I'm thinking!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

yoda_failed.jpg

*tear*

I love a happy ending.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im sure (hope) this has been said 200 times, but eat what you want! if he doent like you based on your food selections, what makes you think hes a potential long term partner?
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm back... after reading through all the responses. I appreciate the advice. For those of you who told me I obviously was not confident in myself... your right, I'm not (I don't need you to call me out on it, I'm working on it). Being confident in your own skin is difficult, so yes, I thought what I will order matters.
    My date is later this week so I will let you know what I decide to eat on it :)
    Thanks again for the advice.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    TEN pages on this topic?! Well, read the OP and the last post by the OP. I'd say eat whatever you would eat if you were alone or with family or friends. If you're going on a date, impressing them is not the goal. Getting to know each other, the REAL people you are is the whole point anyway. BE YOURSELF.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    im sure (hope) this has been said 200 times, but eat what you want! if he doent like you based on your food selections, what makes you think hes a potential long term partner?

OP never said they were looking for a long term partner.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm back... after reading through all the responses. I appreciate the advice. For those of you who told me I obviously was not confident in myself... your right, I'm not (I don't need you to call me out on it, I'm working on it). Being confident in your own skin is difficult, so yes, I thought what I will order matters.

Well I hope you have a good time with your date and that there's something you like on the menu. Relax, be yourself and enjoy it.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options

What I find is I am able to cover insecurity for a date but it might surface later. I am sure that your date this week was way different then mine was last night seeing how we didn't plan to go out to eat. I didn't care what she order. Most men don't care what women order. There are others things that are on our minds more than her food choices. Now go into this date with your best first impression you can give. You say you're not confident. I know it is in every person to shine. Let that stuff flow out of you. I am sure you will do great and have a good time. I would say good luck but a good date is not by luck at all in my opinion.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I went on two dates with two different people in the past week (which is hilarious for someone who usually averages 1-2 a year). First date, coffee meet up, felt like a really bad job interview. Conversation was like getting blood out of a stone. Second date, Sunday brunch, waiter had to come back because we were too busy talking to look at our menus. Three and a half hours, conversation didn't stall once.

I'm a total introvert, so it's not often I feel immediately at ease with new people. What I'm trying to say here, is that if there is a connection with this guy, chances are your insecurity will go straight out the window. Relax and enjoy :)
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Im going to add in my own experience. I met a guy through a dating site who was completely obsessed with his own body image. He was always trying to lose weight and gain muscle and didn't seem to eat much. When we finally met for our first date. He ordered fish and chips and didn't even finish a quarter of the plate. I ordered blackened chicken with mashed potatoes. It was the most amazing meal I ever had. I ate every single last morsel of food on that plate (not like a savage). I could tell he was grossed out. Never got a call back from him and I never bothered because I am not going to be with someone who would be swayed by my decision to eat all my food.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    On my first date with my husband, I passed up the garlic bread (thinking about the kiss later)...then he said "Can I have your garlic bread since you're not eating it?" From then on, I ate whatever I wanted.. :/
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    On my first date with my husband, I passed up the garlic bread (thinking about the kiss later)...then he said "Can I have your garlic bread since you're not eating it?" From then on, I ate whatever I wanted.. :/

Awe... Did you get the kiss? Or did you even want it after that?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »

IKR so thoughtful for you to consider your breath being bad for the kiss. I wonder if some people call off there thinking of kiss on first date because of what the other person ate?
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

IKR so thoughtful for you to consider your breath being bad for the kiss. I wonder if some people call off there thinking of kiss on first date because of what the other person ate?

For me, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (and a mint) if it's something you ate but if your breath stinks on a regular basis, that's a total deal breaker. I don't care how hot you are.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

To me, this screams high maintenance.

Also- why is the op flagged?
  • farfromthetree
    Options

I did get my kiss, and I didn't notice any garlic, lol. I guess if you are into somebody it doesn't matter! I think if someone ate liver that may deter me..
  • farfromthetree
    Options

For me, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (and a mint) if it's something you ate but if your breath stinks on a regular basis, that's a total deal breaker. I don't care how hot you are.

yup...deal breaker