Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.

Lol, that happens to me except everything just lands on my boobs :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.

Lol, that happens to me except everything just lands on my boobs :D

Tide-to-go pens. Seriously, they're a lifesaver.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Eat what you want. If he doesn't like your choices, then you've learned valuable information about him.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member

Seriously? Just....be yourself. So what, if everyone says you should eat a salad and not a burger, does that mean you are never going to eat burgers around this guy ever? Eat whatever the hell you want! If he judges you for it, then that is his problem.

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Seriously? Eat what appeals to you.

Though I generally avoid eating spaghetti in public.

I mean really, if a guy is going to judge you for what you choose to eat on a first date, why would you want a second one?

This. And I agree, I usually don't chose spaghetti on a first date just because I have not mastered eating it like an adult.

I dont know anyone eho has actually mastered to eat spaghetti like an adult.
    My shirt usually looks like a massacre :smile:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I have never understood the first date mentality: I have to impress somebody by being somebody that I am not and somebody who I think they want me to be and then having to keep up a facarde otherwise they will know that I am not who I say I am.
    But this is probably because I never did the first date thing, me and my fiance were friends before we got together.

My advice to you is be yourself. You want him to like you for you.
    He is not going to judge you for eating a burger and not a salad, if he does then he is an idiot and really not worth your time.
    What looks better is a confident women who knows what she wants and goes out and gets it.
    Eat what you want, but most importantly have fun.
  • socksoffortitude
    socksoffortitude Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Oh honey. If he looks at you funny for ordering either, leave. Because that is a sign that he has stupidly high expectations for women that aren't shaped by reality.

This right here.
  • socksoffortitude
    socksoffortitude Posts: 69 Member
    Rampant328 wrote: »
    We've got a blind date with Destiny, and it looks like she's just ordered the lobster! - Mystery Men

YES, thank you, best quote.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    I had Greek salad and my fiancé had salmon and kale. I ate most of his. Love.
  • booombeeeem
    booombeeeem Posts: 32 Member
    Eat what you want to if it feels good :)
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    I say eat what you want as well.

I've read things where people judge if you just have a salad and if you have a steak instead of the salad. Either way it's sad. You're a real person who eats food and different food I'm sure, depending on the day.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    I read a funny story one of our national cricketers told about his first date with his dream girl. He was so nervous, and he'd bought a white shirt specially for the occasion. They went to the restaurant, and he thought he'd get his favourite marinara...

sploot.

That dream girl is now his wife and they have three daughters. Sometimes disasters aren't always as disastrous as they seem.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If he is paying, order something you like that is reasonably priced. If you are paying or both are splitting, order whatever you want.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Nothing your likely to spill over yourself but other than that you'll come across much better if you order what you actully like and enjoy yourself instead of miserably picking at a dish you dislike because you think it's what a girl should order. (Personally I would opt for what look tastiest, maybe a sharing desert like a super sundae can be fun on dates?)

Dates are meant to be fun! If your this nervous about what the guy thinks maybe he's not for you?

You have a few posts about this date atm. Best thing you can do is try to enjoy yourself and stop panicking. The more you over think this the worse your anxiety will get imo.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd suggest avoiding anything that gives you gas.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a first date, and constantly having to fart...

Oh yeah, I'd have to agree with this. I'd stay away from beans and spinach.

Oh, and garlic and raw onion. Just in case the date goes well :D

ar129665278437607.jpg
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    misskarne wrote: »
    I read a funny story one of our national cricketers told about his first date with his dream girl. He was so nervous, and he'd bought a white shirt specially for the occasion. They went to the restaurant, and he thought he'd get his favourite marinara...

sploot.

That dream girl is now his wife and they have three daughters. Sometimes disasters aren't always as disastrous as they seem.

When I arrived at my first date with DH, he already had salsa on his shirt. I thought it was adorable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    thread like this make me wonder how people get through daily life…wow….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I have a few PERSONAL guidelines:

1. Don't eat anything stinky- personally I can't stand fish/ seafood or to be around anyone eating fish, baked beans, scramled eggs or blue cheese. Bleugh, but I would mention it beforehand.
    2. Good table manners are a must. Must use a knife and fork properly and not talk with mouth full. No elbows on the table etc.
    3. Have some knowledge and appreciation of wine. It's a turn off for me when a man doesn't know anything about wine. No sweet wine - unless with desert.
    4. Don't pig out. Guys who stuff themselves on a date are a turn off for me- especially if they are so full afterwards that they get gas and can't move etc. Personally I like to eat light on a date so I'm not too full for 'afterwards'.
    5. Don't 'feed' me. This grosses me out. Plus, taking food off my plate to try it- huge turn off.
    6. Don't get drunk and sloppy.
    7. Lastly- I'm being picky but I don't like it when a guy orders 'dainty' and 'sterotypically feminine' things- yes, it's just my perception. For example- ordering half a pint of larger or a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows etc. It's just my taste but I like a 'real ale and bloody steak' kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm okay with splitting the cheque. You might think some of these things are common sense (table-manners etc.) but I've encountered them on dates in the past. I'm sure loads of people on here have some good horror stories- I'd love to hear them!

Of course, once I'm in a relationship (I'm married)- most of those 'guidelines' go out of the window.

do you announce these rules prior to the date?? or is just on a hand out?