Men, what should a woman eat(or not) on the first date?

Replies

• jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Just be yourself. If you like a burger, order a burger. If you want a salad, order a salad. Or order a salad and a burger. Maybe you'll like the special and you'll order that.

You should probably spend a lot more time paying attention to your date than stressing out about the food. Play it safe and stick with foods you know, a first date is probably not the best time to find out something you've never tried before doesn't agree with you!
  • Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    We've got a blind date with Destiny, and it looks like she's just ordered the lobster! - Mystery Men
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    I'd suggest avoiding anything that gives you gas.

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a first date, and constantly having to fart...
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a first date, and constantly having to fart...

Oh yeah, I'd have to agree with this. I'd stay away from beans and spinach.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Oh, and garlic and raw onion. Just in case the date goes well :D
  • arditarose

Yeah but I don't know...garlic is so good. And once you add in a few glasses of red wine and bourbon on both sides, you tend to forget about that garlic smell.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Something less than the whole pizza.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member

Yeah but I don't know...garlic is so good. And once you add in a few glasses of red wine and bourbon on both sides, you tend to forget about that garlic smell.

That's very true. OK, but make sure you both eat the garlic, then it cancels itself out! Mmmm garlic.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    There are two sides to this I see.

One is if you eat something different just to impress the guy are you not lying or misleading them from the get go? Say you normally eat pasta and you decide to eat a burger just because your on a date, doesn't that seem misleading or shows a lack of confidence.

The other side I see is you don't want to spill food on you, them or the immediate area so I would maybe avoid things with sauces or soups or too much liquid. Also something that you use cutlery to eat if possible.

I always spill stuff. No matter how careful. Like a stray tiny peice of food will fall on me. And it won't just leave a small mark. This peice would be covered in sauce or oil and bounce and roll all the way down my front leaving a trail.

This is why I'm happy that neither of the first dates I've been on were to restaurants--too much to worry about! At my first restaurant date I ordered pancakes for dinner. Thankfully the guy knew me by then to not think twice about it.
  • arditarose

That's very true. OK, but make sure you both eat the garlic, then it cancels itself out! Mmmm garlic.

Right! That's true, isn't it? Yes I love garlic so much. I must have at least a clove every day.
  • arditarose
    I would order me a steak or a nice chilean sea bass...oh man. I haven't been on a nice date in awhile.

Ditto.
    And I'd order dessert. Heck yeah dessert

I would get dessert only if I didn't think it would make me "cranky full". Which could ruin a date for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Eat food you like. Don't eat food you don't like.

This.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I ate deep fried mushrooms and drank WAAAAY too much the first date with my husband. It's been nearly 10 years since our first date... and tonight he told me to go outside to eat my salmon I heated up because he hated the smell. There's no winning. :laugh:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Order the food you want and eat like you usually do.
    I had taco pizza on my first date with my dh. We shared it so there wasn't really a big decision.
    Maybe don't order stuff that gets stuck in your teeth or stuff that would get smeared on your face on hands. That's probably 3rd date stuff.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Wow, the fact that this is a legitimate thing women are made to feel they have to worry about makes me feel very sad :(

Who made women feel they have to worry about this?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Did not read other answers - what the hell, eat what you want! The burger, probably, right? Jeez.
    Merkavar wrote: »

Oh yeah actually, this is a concern for me, too. With me it's burritos and other wrapped things that can get sloppy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hi-
    I'm going on my first date with a new guy and I don't know what to order. I don't know exactly where we are going, but I'm asking not necessarily in regards to calories but more in regards to what I "should eat." Like what looks better- a salad or a burger?

Thanks!

Seriously?

OMG