My High Impact Regimen

Options
13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake.

OK, I suspect you've got some confusion here about it.

Set up MFP with your personal data and tell it what rate you want to lose at. That'll give you a daily alorie goal to aim for. If you exercise, then eat back the calories that you've expended.

I appreciate that lots of people on here will say that MFP calories are wrong, and you should only eat back half. That's guff tbh, people use it as a way to rationalise inaccurcies in their logging.
  • preciousgirl012
    preciousgirl012 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    That's where the safe part comes to play, I do have a calorie deficit as well but not to big to where I'm starving myself.

So presumably you're then eating back what you expend in training? In which case your training is about outcomes, not about the weight loss.
    so I'm seeing everyone dismissing insanity is it not a good plan on it's own?

It's predominantly cardiovascular work, so it's useful to complement it with some resistance training of some kind as well. Even the strength sessions are largely CV. I would say that for me the propsect of prancing around in front of a DVD really doesn't appeal, but if you want to get good at Insanity then it's certainly the way to go. Running and bodyweight work is extensible. Once you've got to comfortbaly running 5k/ 30 minutes then you have options, with many taking that up to 10K. Personally I run half marathon distance at the moment.

To put things in context, yesterday was a beautiful day. I ran 5km out to the local woods, taking my suspension trainer system with me. Hung it from a tree and did a thirty minute resistance training session before running home. You don't get that kind of option if you're tied to watching a DVD.

Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake. Hope that makes sense lol

I actually just completed day one of c25k, I must say I do enjoy it thus far. Insanity is it times a tad brutal, and definitely increased my muscle mass whilst burning fat. I was a bit too muscley for my liking though. I don't mind videos they're pretty simple while not being too easy and their is progression. My hopes in the end is just to get to a place where playing basketball with friends or running around the city is more possible and easy. Nothing major. My main goal is weight loss though.

First, are you saying you have a goal of 2000? And if yes, where did this number come from?
    Second, are you trying to burn 1000 and net only 1000? Why?
    In brief, no, it makes absolutely no sense.
    And third, are you saying that you believe you are at 1000 net calories, but at the same time putting on muscle mass by doing insanity?
    If you were having 1000 calories net per day, you would be losing very fast. And after a while your health would be suffering. So, most probably you are way overestimating your burns.
    As for muscle mass, with the exercises you mentioned, the chance of putting on muscle are slim. Definitely not while also trying to lose weight.

Various health medical sites, like http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/?ref=nav, I'm definitely over exaggerating. As for the muscle I'm not sure about that, but through measurements and the scale that's the only conclusion I could come to.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    That's where the safe part comes to play, I do have a calorie deficit as well but not to big to where I'm starving myself.

So presumably you're then eating back what you expend in training? In which case your training is about outcomes, not about the weight loss.

It's predominantly cardiovascular work, so it's useful to complement it with some resistance training of some kind as well. Even the strength sessions are largely CV. I would say that for me the propsect of prancing around in front of a DVD really doesn't appeal, but if you want to get good at Insanity then it's certainly the way to go. Running and bodyweight work is extensible. Once you've got to comfortbaly running 5k/ 30 minutes then you have options, with many taking that up to 10K. Personally I run half marathon distance at the moment.

To put things in context, yesterday was a beautiful day. I ran 5km out to the local woods, taking my suspension trainer system with me. Hung it from a tree and did a thirty minute resistance training session before running home. You don't get that kind of option if you're tied to watching a DVD.

Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake. Hope that makes sense lol

I actually just completed day one of c25k, I must say I do enjoy it thus far. Insanity is it times a tad brutal, and definitely increased my muscle mass whilst burning fat. I was a bit too muscley for my liking though. I don't mind videos they're pretty simple while not being too easy and their is progression. My hopes in the end is just to get to a place where playing basketball with friends or running around the city is more possible and easy. Nothing major. My main goal is weight loss though.

this is the perfect example as to why people should not design their own programs…

• preciousgirl012
    Options
    Eating less than what's recommended daily as a norm, 2000 right, and then exercising at least half as much calories I intake.

OK, I suspect you've got some confusion here about it.

Set up MFP with your personal data and tell it what rate you want to lose at. That'll give you a daily alorie goal to aim for. If you exercise, then eat back the calories that you've expended.

I appreciate that lots of people on here will say that MFP calories are wrong, and you should only eat back half. That's guff tbh, people use it as a way to rationalise inaccurcies in their logging.

MFP estimated I should be eating around 1700. Not to sure of the accuracy of that though. But I have used other sites they gave me a similar goal.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

Where on earth did you get the idea that you need to burn at least half as many calories as you intake? No, no, no.... Just no! That's ridiculous!

And you didn't build muscle doing insanity....

I was exageratting lol not really half I'd say 1/8th, well I built something the scale was going up but my waist size and everything else was going down.

You lost fat, hence being able to see muscle tone and your waist going down, but you were retaining water because of the high impact nature of insanity.

Thats a hell of a lot of water retention then Lol But that's good to know. Most likely I'll just stick to running and lifting. Since my plan is so "abysmal".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Where on earth did you get the idea that you need to burn at least half as many calories as you intake? No, no, no.... Just no! That's ridiculous!

I was exageratting lol not really half I'd say 1/8th, well I built something the scale was going up but my waist size and everything else was going down.

You lost fat, hence being able to see muscle tone and your waist going down, but you were retaining water because of the high impact nature of insanity.

Thats a hell of a lot of water retention then Lol But that's good to know. Most likely I'll just stick to running and lifting. Since my plan is so "abysmal".

Really? How much did you gain?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Crazy.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

Well the scale stayed exactly the same no change but my dress size dropped 2 sizes and my waist size did the same as well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Well the scale stayed exactly the same no change but my dress size dropped 2 sizes and my waist size did the same as well.

So if you've had decent results from insanity, why not just do the programme again?
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

So if you've had decent results from insanity, why not just do the programme again?

I'll be honest it's not the most enjoyable way to lose weight. But it does get the job, but I'd like to weigh my options. Running hasn't always been my favorite thing to do but I've also seen amazing results from it as well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'll be honest it's not the most enjoyable way to lose weight. But it does get the job, but I'd like to weigh my options. Running hasn't always been my favorite thing to do but I've also seen amazing results from it as well.

I loved insanity, love Shaun t!
  • preciousgirl012
    Options

I loved insanity, love Shaun t!

I really did feel stronger though I may give it another try! Lol
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Try joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

There is a ton of information about how to build a plan on the stickies and if you still have questions, you can ask them in the group. It has a much more welcoming and helpful vibe than the main forums.

I wish I could help personally, but all my training has been very sport specific, and would probably take you away from the physique you are looking for.
  • preciousgirl012
    Options
    Th

Try joining this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

There is a ton of information about how to build a plan on the stickies and if you still have questions, you can ask them in the group. It has a much more welcoming and helpful vibe than the main forums.

I wish I could help personally, but all my training has been very sport specific, and would probably take you away from the physique you are looking for.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it!!!