Becoming a Bodybuilder

What are some steps one can take to become a Bodybuilder? I am currently 5'2 weighing 183lbs

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Finish getting to your body fat goal before you bulk up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lift.
    lose body fat- get down under 20% bf- and then start bulking again.
    My guess is it will probably take you about 2 years to get to the point where you can step on a stage and really truly compete.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    What are some steps one can take to become a Bodybuilder? I am currently 5'2 weighing 183lbs

May I ask why you want to become a body builder and what does being a bodybuilder means for you? It is a kind of weird question to ask .
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Get your diet set, which will be an extremely useful step. Maybe get a coach online or in person to get you on the right path.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited June 2015
    JoRocka wrote: »
    lift.
    My guess is it will probably take you about 2 years to get to the point where you can step on a stage and really truly compete.

I have a friend who competes, he's on around 6 years of training and only came 3rd in his last competition. Even being several inches shorter than me he makes me feel small around him...2 years is nowhere near enough to be not only physically but mentally ready to compete (unless you have serious discipline, amazing genetics and a really good coach)

To OP:

Bodybuilding competitions require insane amounts of mental discipline. You can't really afford to have cheat foods, you can't afford to have days where you stray off training. Every second has to be dedicated towards the competition.

The first guide I found to be a good read

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1st_bodybuilding_show_prep.htm

If it was a general statement meaning you wanted to look like a bodybuilder, not compete, most people I know will cut to about 10-12% bodyfat, bulk to 14-16% bodyfat then repeat. It's not a fast process and may take years to get where you want but you should always be moving forward. (some people may cut lower than 10-12% bodyfat for summer)

Edit: The bodyfat percentages were aimed at males, should have checked OPs gender, my bad...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I suggest 3-4 solid years of lifting. Not just exercising and moving weights. I mean 3-4 years of following a solid hypertrophy program. It is a very good idea to find a trainer in your area or online that has competitive clients.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    lift.

I have a friend who competes, he's on around 6 years of training and only came 3rd in his last competition. Even being several inches shorter than me he makes me feel small around him...2 years is nowhere near enough to be not only physically but mentally ready to compete (unless you have serious discipline, amazing genetics and a really good coach)

To OP:

Bodybuilding competitions require insane amounts of mental discipline. You can't really afford to have cheat foods, you can't afford to have days where you stray off training. Every second has to be dedicated towards the competition.

If it was a general statement meaning you wanted to look like a bodybuilder, not compete, most people I know will cut to about 10-12% bodyfat, bulk to 14-16% bodyfat then repeat. It's not a fast process and may take years to get where you want but you should always be moving forward. (some people may cut lower than 10-12% bodyfat for summer)

for women?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    I started lifting at 19 and didn't do my first contest until I was 24..................and I was "small" compared to the others on stage. Needless to say I came in last out of the 16 that were in my class.
    It takes a lot of dedication to do it if you're serious about any competing at all. If you're just bodybuilding to put on size and look good, then not so much but you still have to adhere to some basic principles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    lift.

To OP:

for women?

Should have probably checked that first... :neutral:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lift.

To OP:

Edit: The bodyfat percentages were aimed at males, should have checked OPs gender, my bad...

I agree it's going to take much longer to be really stage ready- but it's more than reasonable to get down to a lower body fat- do the muscle work and then step on a stage- with no expectations of winning- just do the work and get out there and go do it.

I know a girl who did just that- she actually came in third- but to be fair I think it was a figure comp rather than a BB one- but it was under a 3 year transformation for her- lost 70 plus pounds- decieded to compete and prepped and hit the stage. She didn't really look all that great- she was small- she needed WAY more muscle- but there's a point where you just gotta go do it.

OP might not realize the difference between bikini, figure, fitness, physique and BB. she may just want to get on stage- in which case- 2 years of really hard wrok can put here on there and not look ridiculous. She probably won't place- but much like competing in powerlifting- there's not a "strong enough" level- you just train and go do it. worry about the hard details later.

But yes- it's going to be a lot more than 2 years to get to full on BB- but 2 years to get on a stage w/o being ridiculous is reasonable.