Low-Carb, High Fat...But how much fat?

124»

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    OP- you will have better luck with support on the low carb forum rather than here in the general weight loss section with the CICO-paths. Your doc may not have explained insulin resistance in the most scientific terms, but that doesn't mean you won't benefit from low carb! I have been eating that way for a couple years now and have found it the easiest, most satisfying (and most effective) "diet" I've ever done. Feel free to add me as a friend - my diary is always open, and while I am currently eating more carbs than what your doc recommended (as I am currently pregnant) you may find some good menu ideas and get a sense of what a healthy low carb plan looks like!
  • ncshooter
    ncshooter Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    65/30/5 -- F,P,C %. Shoot for <20 carbs (to start) and get into ketosis if you're going to go low carb. Reddit.com/r/keto is a good place to start.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition, restricting carbs is not needed to lose weight.

The OP went to see a doctor, this may be a clue.

yea, a doctor who said her "fat burning metabolism was broke"...sounds legit...

"my sugar-starch metabolism, which is standard, is broken" = insulin resistance . My sugar - starch metabolism is also broken.
    I guess some on this thread are very fortunate that they do not have this issue and that a CICO WOE is working for you. Not all bodies work the same and some people cannot tolerate too much carbohydrate in their system without causing excess insulin which will lead to greater fat storage.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to add me, that would be great. I have not gotten any support for the most part from people I know IRL. My friends say this diet is stupid, dangerous, etc, because they don't understand. They say there is no way I can lose weight eating bacon, eggs, cheese. And they think not eating carbs is the end of the world and going to kill me somehow? IDK, it's just really hard and discouraging to get all of this backlash, when I'm already dealing with being very overweight and nervous enough about trying to lose it without all of the negativity people are throwing on me. And sorry if I sounded stupid. This is all very new to me. My doctor is very good, it's just that I think she was trying to be sensitive with the whole "this is not entirely your fault" stuff, as she primarily deals with helping heavy patients lose weight, and often sees people (myself, included) cry (bawl like a baby) in her office. She said I do have a health issue with my thyroid, and so this would be the best for me. I think the way she explained it to me just sounded strange, because when she said that about the sugar-starch metabolism, she was trying to tell me that she was going to tell me the opposite of what I've probably always been told to do, and just to trust her, but some people can eat sugars and starches, and it doesn't affect them like it does me, etc. She's really great. If anyone lives in NC and needs a good dr that does endocrinology/diabetes/thyroid disorders and medical weight loss, her name is Theresa Amerson and City Center Medical Group in Raleigh.

If you have thyroid issue then you should take medication to regulate your thyroid and eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Do you also have diabetes and/or some form of insulin sensitivity?

I don't have diabetes yet, but I'm at risk. I'm close to the abnormal range when tested, and have a huge family history. My father passed of diabetes, and my mom and half-sisters are the only people in my family who seem to not have it. My mom's and dad's families all have it, and so my doctor is trying to help me prevent it.

Back in 2012 I had a fasting glucose test and the oral glucose tolerance test done and they put me in the pre-diabetic range. I also come from a family tree of T2, lost one grandfather to it and currently watching my grandma's quality of life deteriorate because of it (several other relatives have/had it as well). When this all happened my doctor told me to do ONE thing. He said if I did this, it would be my best chance of getting my glucose number normalized and avoid becoming a T2. That one thing was lose the extra weight I was carrying around. He didn't give me any complicated formulas to follow or tell my do cut out any of the foods I liked. Lose the weight. That's it.

I followed his advice, began eating at a weekly calorie deficit and in the spring of 2013 I hit my original goal weight, 43lbs lighter. Had new blood work done and my fasting glucose number was an 89. Solidly in the normal range again.

Fast forward to today-I've lost a few more pounds, for a total loss of around 58lbs. I had blood work done last month and my fasting glucose number was an 86.

I lost the extra weight by being intentional about my calorie consumption and I prevented T2. Nothing else. Just something to think about as you try and navigate through this whole thing.
This discussion has been closed.