Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    _benjammin wrote: »
    OP: Make your goal ~100 grams of protein, fat and carbs can be adjusted to your personal preference but you should get a minimum of ~35 grams of fat.

Blanket recommendations for protein and fat don't help either, unfortunately. And unless you were 90 lbs. or less, 35 grams of daily dietary fat is far too low for optimal health. Unless you're obese, the bare minimum is 0.40-0.45 grams dietary fat per 1 lb. bodyweight.

I didn't give a blanket recommendation. Her weight, 127lb x 0.8 = 101.6. Your blanket recommendation of 0.4-0.45 grams fat per lb is by no means a bare minimum for being healthy.

I'm not sure if you understand what a blanket recommendation is. Your advice which was to basically, 'Eat 100 grams of protein per day', is a blanket recommendation. What I did was provide a safe and healthy range, which is sufficient enough to support muscle synthesis and confirmed by science. You just blurted out 100 g protein.

Also, 35 grams of dietary fat was your recommendation. 0.40-0.45 grams dietary fat per lb. bodyweight was my recommendation... Which is just about the bare minimum from a health standpoint, and much higher than 35 grams for her when you do the math.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-beginners-guide-to-protein/
    According to the blog: Divide your weight in lbs by 2.2 (gives you your weight in kg), multiply it by .8 to get the minimum amount to retain muscle mass.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ^ yup, I know. It is times 1 for highly active people. I think the most accurate would be to go by lean body mass, anyway.