MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Crikey, people cut off rattles off rattle snakes, you really are in Kansas Dorothy! Only roadkill around these parts are possums, the only native species that has flourished in urban areas in Aust. (and they are a total pest).

Feeling much better today, and the weather was very kind this morning. A balmy 10 deg C, little wind and had about 10 of us out at 6 a.m. for a 30+ km ride. It was fast this morning, with an avg ~ 30 kms/hr (18 miles/hr). Felt pretty good, although I think we take off too quickly and there are some bumpy bits towards the start and I really struggled.

Great way to start off the day, and the rest of it has been windy and rainy. Good part is that the days are getting longer, so it is starting to get light towards the end of the ride.

Stu, you won't scare the little children in lycra as long as it is not white!

Bring on summer!! thanks for the welcome everyone!

GG
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Crikey, people cut off rattles off rattle snakes, you really are in Kansas Dorothy! Only roadkill around these parts are possums, the only native species that has flourished in urban areas in Aust. (and they are a total pest).

Feeling much better today, and the weather was very kind this morning. A balmy 10 deg C, little wind and had about 10 of us out at 6 a.m. for a 30+ km ride. It was fast this morning, with an avg ~ 30 kms/hr (18 miles/hr). Felt pretty good, although I think we take off too quickly and there are some bumpy bits towards the start and I really struggled.

Great way to start off the day, and the rest of it has been windy and rainy. Good part is that the days are getting longer, so it is starting to get light towards the end of the ride.

Stu, you won't scare the little children in lycra as long as it is not white!

Bring on summer!! thanks for the welcome everyone!

GG

Good to hear you are feeling better!

10C, heck that is t-shirt weather where I come from :bigsmile:

You guys are fast, avg 30 Km/h is certainly moving, are you out in the countryside? I think I'd have real trouble trying that in Tokyo, too many freaking stop lights :explode:

I hope your weather holds! :smile:

Cheers!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Got in rides with 2 different clubs yesterday - both for about 30 miles but ENTIRELY different rides.

In the morning, my wife and I rode with a leisurely group that goes out every Tuesday morning - rides - eats breakfast - rides again. This ride was marked by a couple of significant hills to climb and a continual light to spitting rain to ride through. Stayed back with Andrea (my wife) for most of the ride even though they had a designated sweep rider. Andrea is learning to use her gears better for climbing.

In the evening, I met up with the riders from Lifetime Fitness for a route that was slightly less hilly (though there were more of them). We only had 5 riders counting the ride leader (3 men and 2 women). The women were riding with us for the first time. The plan was for Michael and I to ride out at 16 - 17 mph and the ride leader would follow with the women at 15 mph. It never happened that way. My legs were sluggish and we stayed together as a group for most of the ride, stopping occasionally to regroup. I got a phone call in the middle of the ride that I had to take and ended up chasing the group for a while (and burning my legs). I hit barriers several times but I was not going to embarrass myself with the group and rode through them. Toward the end Michael and I did break away and lead to the finish. Still the whole group finished with a respectable average of 15.5 mph.

I had a noticable hydration issue in my muscles last night which may account for the significant one-day weight loss that I'm still carrying today. We'll see how tonight's ride goes. I have to go back to work next week so will be back to around 3 rides a week (weather permitting).
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Got in rides with 2 different clubs yesterday - both for about 30 miles but ENTIRELY different rides

Maaaan, I feel like such a sissy when I read this kind of stuff! I am huffing and puffing after 10 miles :embarassed: ! My goal is to do a 20-ish mile, very hilly ride before winter. My other goal is to have AT LEAST 100 miles before Nov. 1st..... I know, I know, I have to work up to the point you all are at, but it just seems like its taking forever. I know I need to push myself a little more and stop being a chicken, too, lol.
  • Panda86
    Options
    Pretty sure I asked this already, but I don't think I saw any answers to it- What do I do with hills? Do I kick my bike into an easy gear and pedal more???? Thanks!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Pretty sure I asked this already, but I don't think I saw any answers to it- What do I do with hills? Do I kick my bike into an easy gear and pedal more???? Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what you do! I wish that I was better at it as I end up "muscling" up hills and blowing my legs.

The key to efficient riding is a constant peddle speed. You use your gears to maintain that speed. On the flat and downhill you will want to pedal faster but you should shift gears instead into "harder" gears and enjoy the increase in speed. Going uphill you will want to pedal slower but you should shift into "easier" gears and save your legs. You're speed will decrease but not as much as in powering hills without tremendous legs.

The type of hill matters as well. If you are coming off the flat into a long climbing hill you will have to shift several times. If you are going from a flat to a short steep hill you will what to drop down a couple of gears on the initial shift as you don't want to be shifting while placing a lot of pressure on the pedals. (It can screw up both you and the bike).

If you are coming off another hill - resist the urge to glide as soon as you can. You want to pedal for a while and build momentum. When you feel like there is no pressure on the pedals then glide. You will want to shift down either at the bottom of the hill or on the flat before the next hill so you can both carry as much momentum up the hill as possible AND be in the right gear when you need to start pedalling.

And be patient! It seems (at least to me) to be as much of an art form as a science. I still don't like hill cllimbing but the world IS round and you will have to do it sometime! :-).

Don't worry about the distance - it will come. Once you feel comfortable at a given distance (or are not fatigued at the end of the ride) then you are ready to go a little further. Finding people to ride with helps a great deal for the peer pressure if nothing else.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options

That is EXACTLY what you do! I wish that I was better at it as I end up "muscling" up hills and blowing my legs.

The key to efficient riding is a constant peddle speed. You use your gears to maintain that speed. On the flat and downhill you will want to pedal faster but you should shift gears instead into "harder" gears and enjoy the increase in speed. Going uphill you will want to pedal slower but you should shift into "easier" gears and save your legs. You're speed will decrease but not as much as in powering hills without tremendous legs.

The type of hill matters as well. If you are coming off the flat into a long climbing hill you will have to shift several times. If you are going from a flat to a short steep hill you will what to drop down a couple of gears on the initial shift as you don't want to be shifting while placing a lot of pressure on the pedals. (It can screw up both you and the bike).

If you are coming off another hill - resist the urge to glide as soon as you can. You want to pedal for a while and build momentum. When you feel like there is no pressure on the pedals then glide. You will want to shift down either at the bottom of the hill or on the flat before the next hill so you can both carry as much momentum up the hill as possible AND be in the right gear when you need to start pedalling.

And be patient! It seems (at least to me) to be as much of an art form as a science. I still don't like hill cllimbing but the world IS round and you will have to do it sometime! :-).

Don't worry about the distance - it will come. Once you feel comfortable at a given distance (or are not fatigued at the end of the ride) then you are ready to go a little further. Finding people to ride with helps a great deal for the peer pressure if nothing else.
    Ditto. I'm a little concerned about my ride on Sunday (profile map in my ticker), but I'll be doing pretty much everything tipusnr just said and take a break if I need to. I've done some really hilly rides, but not over such a distance. The first 40 miles look pretty tough, but the last 25 should go pretty fast :laugh:
  • skywalker
    Options
    Maaaan, I feel like such a sissy when I read this kind of stuff! I am huffing and puffing after 10 miles :embarassed: ! My goal is to do a 20-ish mile, very hilly ride before winter. My other goal is to have AT LEAST 100 miles before Nov. 1st..... I know, I know, I have to work up to the point you all are at, but it just seems like its taking forever. I know I need to push myself a little more and stop being a chicken, too, lol.
    Don't ever feel like a sissy!!!! We all started somewhere. I remember a time when I thought I would die on a 10 mile ride with a friend. You're out there doing it and that's more than a lot of people can say. Keep it up and you WILL get there! Plus, we're all here to support and encourage you. When I started this thread, I said it doesn't matter if you ride 1 mile a week or 1000miles. This is not competitive. We all have a common goal to improve our fitness levels. Let's just ride and have fun! You're doing great!
    :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @GG: I think what you call "possum" down under isn't the same as possum here in the states. Do they sell merino/possum wool? If so, it's very different from our possum rodents! Yours are much cuter than ours!
  • StuAblett
    Options

+1 Ditto Great Advice!:bigsmile:

I'll add one thing, this is something that I had to teach myself NOT to do, DON'T get out of the saddle and kick unless you really have to. I'll do this if I hit a sudden steep short hill, but I'm talking about a max of 30 seconds.

When you are seated and pedaling correctly, spinning I call it, which means a lower (easier) gear and a faster cadence (speed you are spinning the pedals), like tipusnr said, you are NOT carrying your body weight on your legs, you are seated working, once you get off that saddle and start to kick, you legs have to not only do the hard kicking work to move you up the hill, but they also have to support your full body weight, which is my case is still way too much :laugh: You can very quickly spend all of your reserves and then you will be wobbly the rest of the ride. DAMHIKT :tongue:

Panda, have you had your position on your bike looked at? This can make a big difference in you pedaling efficiency too, even if you are not using clip in pedals and shoes, if you seat is too low, when you pedal you waste a lot of effort, and if your seat is too high, you can hurt your knees, I did this once, I had new shoes and pedals on my crit bike and I went out for a 100 Km ride on a Sunday, the night before I changed my seat height a bunch, and I ended up with my seat set too high by maybe 3/4", don't sound like much, but when you feet are attached to the pedals, I was over extending my knees the whole ride, the next morning I was in such pain I could barely get out of bed to go to class, I hobbled around for a week. Lesson learned, I now only raise my seat 1/4" at a time, if I think it needs changing and then ride for a while, change, ride, change ride, until I get it right. Also, your seat position back to front can be adjusted. For example I need to move mine forward about 1/2", I noticed on my last long ride that every few minutes, I would have to slide back a smidgen to get back in the right spot on the seat.

I hope this does not sound to daunting to you, it is a funny thing, you can fiddle and adjust your bike for a month or so and then one day you will get it just right, and when you do, you will forget all about fiddling and just enjoy your ride!

The only time after that you will need to adjust anything is if you add something to your bike.

I'm sure the other more experienced riders here, can add to this, but your position on your bike is important to get the most pleasure out of your ride, but baby steps is what is needed.

and you are not a sissy, you are slowly but surely improving you fitness and your experience on the bike, and from what I read, you are enjoying yourself!

Cheers!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Ditto. I'm a little concerned about my ride on Sunday (profile map in my ticker), but I'll be doing pretty much everything tipusnr just said and take a break if I need to. I've done some really hilly rides, but not over such a distance. The first 40 miles look pretty tough, but the last 25 should go pretty fast :laugh:

Don't forget to hydrate, and bananas, they are a great source of potassium which will help you muscles recover and they are a good energy source as well, they go down easy too, and as I said before, the wrapper is biodegradable :bigsmile:
    Hydrate after your ride as well, this is important, and don't forget to stretch before and after you ride, even a 5 minute stretch will help, but I'm sure you know all of this stuff, and I'm sure you will enjoy your ride...... maybe the last bit more than the bit in the middle :happy:
  • skywalker
    Options

Don't forget to hydrate, and bananas, they are a great source of potassium which will help you muscles recover and they are a good energy source as well, they go down easy too, and as I said before, the wrapper is biodegradable :bigsmile:
    Hydrate after your ride as well, this is important, and don't forget to stretch before and after you ride, even a 5 minute stretch will help, but I'm sure you know all of this stuff, and I'm sure you will enjoy your ride...... maybe the last bit more than the bit in the middle :happy:
    Thanks Stu. :smile: I'm no stranger to endurance events(marathon, triathlons), just not one with so much climbing. Not worried about the prep so much (food & hydration). Just wondering how the arthritic hip and herniated discs are gonna fare.:tongue: Injuries and aging suck! :laugh: :tongue:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Skywalker, I figured you knew all that stuff, heck I have no doubt that you have forgotten more than I know about it :bigsmile:

I just wanted to put the info out there for others to read.

Speaking of that, I'd love to hear how you do prepare for such events, if you have the time, I'm sure it would be valuable reading!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    I was thinking while I was having a wonderful lunch prepared by my lovely wife, that there must be a video on the nest somewhere about setting your seat height etc. I did some looking around, and so far this one it the best one I've found....

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-seat/

... well explained and documented, easy to understand.

(Sorry you will have to cut and paste it):blushing:
  • pinkgigi
    Options
    Lisa, yes our possums (bushy tail and ring tail) are pretty cute, but I don't know about possum fur (merino is sheep), never seen it myself, if it is available probably just for the tourists. They are just such a pest here (i.e. having marital relations very loudly outside my window at night), making such a mess everywhere, cuteness doesn't cut it ;-)

Stu, where I ride is supposed to be the most popular cycling training route in the world - Beach Road in Melbourne Victoria. It is so popular because it is ~60 km long and very picturesque hugging Port Phillip Bay. There are not many traffic lights so there is not much stopping and starting. Having said that it is a major arterial, so you have to pick your times carefully.

Skywalker - having ridden a few events (memorably a stage of the Tour Downunder - 150 kms in 38C heat head-wind and a lot of uphill), the fun and enjoyment of riding with a stack of other people for an event gives you extra impetus, as long as you are not suffering too much (i.e. not adequately prepared). There is no shame in stopping if you need to to give yourself a breather. There are always people worse than you, and you are going to have some great stories to tell afterward!

Panda, it doesn't matter where you started or how much you are doing now, just focus on the enjoyment and it will all fall into place. When I first started I was sooo unfit, used to only do 10 kms at a time, now I don't balk at 90 kms on a Saturday, and I'm am the antithesis of a natural athlete! That's what makes cycling great, it can suit just about everyone.

GG
  • skywalker
    Options
    Skywalker, I figured you knew all that stuff, heck I have no doubt that you have forgotten more than I know about it :bigsmile:

I just wanted to put the info out there for others to read.

Speaking of that, I'd love to hear how you do prepare for such events, if you have the time, I'm sure it would be valuable reading!
    You obviously know your stuff Stu, and I'm certainly no expert.:tongue: I do these events as a form of motivation to stick to my fitness goals:tongue: When I'm not training for something I tend to get lazy. It's also nice to have a few friends who are SERIOUS athletes (Ironman finishers:noway: ). I'm actually toying with the idea of training for an Ironman triathlon. I did a marathon at age 30. Why not Ironman at 40? :laugh: That's a gigantic 'maybe'. I have about a year to decide and then I better start training.
    As far as my training goes, for running I just used a training program from Runners' World, followed it religiously, and got lots of advice from others who had done marathons. That's how I really learned what foods work best as fuel for me and what energy gels or drinks agreed with me and what didn't :sick:
    As cycling goes, I'm confident that I'll finish the cancer ride. I won't come in first, I won't break any records. I basically try to get in one longer ride (40-50miles) per week with other smaller rides and I'm a firm believer in rest days. I'd like to do a century in the fall, so I just plan on increasing my longer ride gradually until I get there. No specific training regimen other than that. Around here it's hard to get in a long ride without some serious climbing though. The best and safest routes are the country roads and they always seem to be in the mountains :tongue:
    I don't have any great pearls of wisdom to offer. My best advice is to listen to your body and just keep plugging along. :drinker:

And btw... I think it's totally cool that you live in Japan. A relative of mine just took a short trip there and absolutely loved it!:love:
  • skywalker
    Options
    Lisa, yes our possums (bushy tail and ring tail) are pretty cute, but I don't know about possum fur (merino is sheep), never seen it myself, if it is available probably just for the tourists. They are just such a pest here (i.e. having marital relations very loudly outside my window at night), making such a mess everywhere, cuteness doesn't cut it ;-)

Stu, where I ride is supposed to be the most popular cycling training route in the world - Beach Road in Melbourne Victoria. It is so popular because it is ~60 km long and very picturesque hugging Port Phillip Bay. There are not many traffic lights so there is not much stopping and starting. Having said that it is a major arterial, so you have to pick your times carefully.

Skywalker - having ridden a few events (memorably a stage of the Tour Downunder - 150 kms in 38C heat head-wind and a lot of uphill), the fun and enjoyment of riding with a stack of other people for an event gives you extra impetus, as long as you are not suffering too much (i.e. not adequately prepared). There is no shame in stopping if you need to to give yourself a breather. There are always people worse than you, and you are going to have some great stories to tell afterward!

Panda, it doesn't matter where you started or how much you are doing now, just focus on the enjoyment and it will all fall into place. When I first started I was sooo unfit, used to only do 10 kms at a time, now I don't balk at 90 kms on a Saturday, and I'm am the antithesis of a natural athlete! That's what makes cycling great, it can suit just about everyone.

GG
    Sounds like a beautiful route. I'd love to visit Australia someday. You're right about the race day energy. It definitely helps fuel the motivation and I'm not ashamed to take a break and stretch if I need it :happy: . And, by the way, welcome to the group! :laugh: :drinker:
  • pinkgigi
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sounds like a beautiful route. I'd love to visit Australia someday. You're right about the race day energy. It definitely helps fuel the motivation and I'm not ashamed to take a break and stretch if I need it :happy: . And, by the way, welcome to the group! :laugh: :drinker:
    [/quote]

Aw thanks for the welcome. It is so much fun to talk to other people passionate about riding bikes, I've been bitten by that bug and I'm totally addicted.

GG
  • Panda86
    Options
    Thanks to EVERYONE for the hill advice and such... I feel a little less overwhelmed. And I know this isn't a competition, I just can't wait til I can say, "Oh yeah, I went for a nice 25-miler...." :laugh: You are all so great and encouraging and helpful! Thank you! @StuAblett- I think my seat is pretty good. I have a slight bend when my pedal is all the way at the bottom. That's how it should be, right?

Haven't gone out in the past few days :grumble: There's been so much going on in the evenings, which is the only time I can ride because my my bike trailer broke :grumble: so now I have to leave the kids home.... And I REALLY need to go on a ride. I have a lot going on right now and that's it my favorite way of thinking through things and clearing my head.

Happy cycling, all! :heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: I kinda lost touch for a bit here. But just wanted to check in. I biked 90K so far this week. 20K to work and 10K back (DH picks me up at the half way point). I have noticed that my huffing and puffing is less and I feel so much stronger. Today was a great ride because it was not as hot.

In my mind I really want to avoid the inclines, yet I push through because I want the workout!! Yay for me! Some of my ride I choose to ride on the road and some on a bike trail. The trail is surrounded with blackberry bushes. How handy is that :bigsmile: Quick stop to eat some of those!!!

On the way to work the 20K takes me 65 minutes. That pace seems to be consistent given the traffic lights into the city. The 10K back takes 35 to 40 minutes. Of course at the end of the day things get a little tougher. DH awaits me with freshly juiced fruits & veggies. How totally good.

:heart: I am a lucky girl :heart:

Rebel