MFP Cycling Club

Options
Calling all cyclists!!! :bigsmile: Just refreshing a thread I started about a year ago. Formerly known as MFP Spitfires Cycling Club (honestly, no offense, but I never liked that name & those who came up with it haven't posted in months :laugh: ). Anyway, basically we set a weekly or monthly mileage goal for ourselves and report in every week. I've been checking in on Mondays, so I'll start it off...
Last week's mileage 41.2
This week's goal... 125 miles

It doesn't matter if your goal is 1 mile or 1000 miles... mtn bike, road bike, or stationary... feel free to join in and let's all get our cardio on!!! :drinker:

Replies

• dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    OK Skyrider I'm in. I like the idea of having bicycling buddies that don't call themselves spitfires.:happy:
    Truth is that I don't ride the bike that much, just ride to my office whenever possible (it's a 10k round trip). I'm also involved with other activities (playing basketball 2x/week and hiking weekends), so I can only commit to lets say 30K a week. If things go well I might raise this number later on.
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    I am in too =0) I am cycling to work and back - aiming for twice a week - its 45km round trip which is about 28 miles a day (hence only twice a week!)

Nice to meet you all
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm loving cycling at the moment but only get to do it when I'm at home where my bike is! Trying to do 30miles each week (10 mile trips Friday,Sat and Sun). Though last weekend only managed 10miles due to a bad case of carpal tunnel. Need to find padded gloves somewhere!

This weekend goal though 40miles....

:D
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm in Becks :happy:

Been having a few problems with the bike just lately though so will have to play it by ear as to how far i can get x x
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Welcome dinos, hallswan, and IndyHannah!!! :drinker: Welcome back, Jax!!! :flowerforyou:

Great to see everyone! Hopefully our little group will grow. :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your bike, Jax. :frown: Hopefully it's nothing major and I hope you get it sorted out soon. :wink:

Indy, check out your local bike shops for some gloves. They do help. :happy: If you don't have any locally owned shops near you, most sporting goods stores will carry them if they sell bikes (ex. D***'s Sporting Goods).

Good luck, all and happy pedaling!!! :drinker:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 800 miles by the end of the year ( I know I can do more) I do 30 miles a week commuting to work so thats my goal for this week. anything more is bonus!
  • skywalker
    Options
    I have a goal of 800 miles by the end of the year ( I know I can do more) I do 30 miles a week commuting to work so thats my goal for this week. anything more is bonus!
    That sounds great, dawnna!! Welcome!!! :happy:
  • IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks skywalker - I will need to look into that as I can't keep cycling bare handed as it's killing me! It is annoying as I want to be able to go further but my hand stops me :-(

Found a great route 2 miles from my house, an old railway track that's been repaved. It's fantastic! Roughly 5 miles long before it cuts off and is proving a great little route to start me off.

Where does everyone else cycle?
  • skywalker
    Options
    That sounds like a nice trail, Indy :smile: .I'm currently without a mountain bike, so I stay on the roads and have traffic to deal with :grumble: . I'm hoping to save up enough over the summer to get a mtn. bike so I can hit the woods again. We have lots of trails around here, not necessarily marked paths, but they're fun to ride! :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! Thanks for starting a new thread skywalker!

I just did 41 mi... it felt GREAT... I have been a little down cause I can't run due to injury but then I just get on my road bike and it makes me feel better! The weather was perfect and there was a slight breeze to keep me cool, probably around 80 degrees by the time I finished. I'll start setting a goal next week... welcome to all the newbies! :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    Thanks skywalker - I will need to look into that as I can't keep cycling bare handed as it's killing me! It is annoying as I want to be able to go further but my hand stops me :-(

Found a great route 2 miles from my house, an old railway track that's been repaved. It's fantastic! Roughly 5 miles long before it cuts off and is proving a great little route to start me off.

Where does everyone else cycle?

I am very lucky that I live near an awesome bike trail in Sacramento... it goes for a very long time, I think its at least 60-70 miles long and they are expanding, so its nice not to have to deal with traffic plus I pretty much never have to clip out! And its along the river the whole time. Btw I love newly paved paths, thats great that you found that!

• VballLeash
    Options

You can do that no problem! Good luck :smile:

• VballLeash
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good training program for a century? I can ride about 50 miles now, I think I could do more but haven't gone past that yet...

• skywalker
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good training program for a century? I can ride about 50 miles now, I think I could do more but haven't gone past that yet...

Check out spinervals.com. They've got all kinds of training videos. I have a few friend who used them to prepare for an Ironman triathlon(bike portion being 112m). I'd like to do a Century in the fall. 50m is also the most I've ever done, but feel I can do more. I'm just planning on increasing my mileage a little at a time. Kinda like marathon training. Hope that helps :happy:
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join too. I broke my leg in October last year when a horse I was riding fell trapping me underneath. Cycling is now my main form of exercise and I'm currently riding 12-17 miles a day, 7 days a week and I'm loving it. Trouble is I now want a better faster bike (got my eye on the Specialized Roubaix) but as I've only had my current bike 3 months (a Specialized Sirrus) I don't think it's going to wash with my hubbie!

Bike riding is the second most addictive sport I've ever done (horse riding being the first) and I LOVE IT!!!
  • skywalker
    Options
    Welcome ClareRce!!:drinker: The Roubaix is pretty sweet!! Maybe you can work out a trade with the place you got your bike or another area bike shop. Sometimes they'll work with you. I have a Cannondale Optimo. It's getting old, but I love it. I need a mountain bike though and I have my eye on a Specialized Stumpjumper. Hope to have it by the fall. :happy:
    Again, welcome!!! Happy Pedaling!!! :bigsmile:
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    Last week 65.5 miles
    This week's goal 100 miles
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I love everyone goals! I so wish I could fit in more time. I am like addict with my bike and want it all the time. But I work evening and am a SAHM with to little ones during the day. I just need more hours

or a maid to do all the other duties I have! LOL
  • skywalker
    Options
    Btw... For those of us who love to watch cycling... Tour de Suisse is on VS network every night at 7pm EST. :wink:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    We can't let this thread die again! :smile: Hows everybody doing?! I just got back from a great 30 miler, it was a little windy and the trail is packed on Saturday mornings but still a great ride, yay! Have a great weekend everyone.