MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• ktcarr82
    ktcarr82 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love the cycling challenge. I do not have a bike, but I do have a stationary one. I will commit to 10 miles a week starting out. I also do a boot camp and kick boxing...so, I don't want to overdo it. I'll let you all know if I up my mileage =)
  • ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    this is for the girls!

LanceArmstrong.jpg

I was going to ask who it was, but now I can see from the link it's Lance Armstrong. I was sort of hoping it might be Dino!

Thanks for posting that!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry I've been a little MIA lately, I haven't been able to get out on my bike lately, I plan on going for a long ride in the morning, I've still been keep up on my workouts though, I'm looking forward to tomorrow, should be a great ride. I'm still dealing with my running injury but I don't think riding with hurt it too much... we'll see! Keep riding! :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I love the cycling challenge. I do not have a bike, but I do have a stationary one. I will commit to 10 miles a week starting out. I also do a boot camp and kick boxing...so, I don't want to overdo it. I'll let you all know if I up my mileage =)
    Welcome to the group!!! :drinker:
  • skywalker
    Options
    Thanks for the pic, dawnna! :love: :noway:
    He is one fabulous hunk of man! :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Wellll I was planning on taking my bike out this morning, in fact I had all my stuff on but then I remembered I needed to schedule an appointment with a different sports doc and they just happened to have an opening this morning... SO I did have time to go to the gym and did 30 miles on the stationary... a little boring but at least I go it done! Have a great day everyone!

~Leash :heart:
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Reporting early as my grandaughter has a birthday party and I don't know if I will be riding Saturday. Rode 2 group rides on back to back days from the same starting point totalling 70.1 miles with a lot of low hill climbing. Interestingly, I rode with a group yesterday and mostly on my own today and got the same average speed both days (15.7). I need almost 1100 miles to make my yearly goal so that would make my weekly goal - 84 miles a week. That being said - I guess I will miss goal this week.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Great job tipusnr! You'll make that goal in no time! :drinker:
  • ktcarr82
    ktcarr82 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have exceeded my goal in only two days. Maybe I should change my goal. I rode 5 miles yesterday and 6 1/2 today. I commit to 20 miles per week instead of 10.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    22 miles of rolling hills this morning, and doing much better with my hill climbing. Any climbing suggestions are welcome! :drinker:
  • skywalker
    Options
    22 miles of rolling hills this morning, and doing much better with my hill climbing. Any climbing suggestions are welcome! :drinker:
    Great ride! :happy: Best advice I can give is to just keep doing it. Gradually add longer and steeper climbs to your route. That's what I'm trying to do. I've never been a good climber, but I am seeing improvement this summer, as I'm not shying away from hills the way I used to.:smile:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    Well, with Andrea's help, I made goal despite of myself! We went for breakfast at the Nutcracker in Pataskala, OH on the bikes. Road construction shut down the safest route but she was undaunted and we road along a state highway to get there. Banana Bread French toast, whipped cream, and just a dash of maple syrup with a cup of coffee and a small glass on water sure hit the spot. Then back home to get cleaned up to play with two of the grandkids for a while. Total mileage for the week - 92+.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My best week so far, I rode 83 km ( a bit over 50 miles). Considering that I rode every single day (in heavy traffic, carrying a backpack with my laptop most of the time, in a hilly area) , completed Week 3 of the C25K and played basketball twice, I'm wasted but proud of myself. My weight remained the same more or less, but who cares. I'm after the yellow jersey now.

There'll be no bike riding for me this week, as I'm going on a short holiday to the Aegean. I plan to substitute cycling with swimming and hiking, rest my legs some and come back for the century week and the lycra pants. I'll take a few pictures and try to stay in touch. Have a great week.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @dinos, have a great trip. I am also doing the C25K with a local MFP friend. We are still on week 1. I've done the C25K two other times, and was sidelined by injuries. Hope this time I can make it through. Looking forward to seeing the shorts! ;)
  • skywalker
    Options
    I'm after the yellow jersey now.

Like I said... you'll have to get past me first! :laugh: :wink:
    Have a great trip, dinos! :drinker:
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I cycled 87.7 miles this week and it has been brilliant! :happy:

Definately need to sort out a new seat for the longer rides, i am still suffering now! lol
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skywalker
    Options
    Well, I had planned on doing a long ride today, but ended up taking a rest day. I ended the week with 109.64 miles.

Great job, Jax!! As far as seats go, I have a Specialized Lithia women's specific seat and I love it! You'll still have some soreness until you're used to longer rides. My butt is immune to them at this point. :laugh: However, I might be singing a different tune once I do a century :noway: Also, I ALWAYS wear padded shorts. Again, women's. The padding is shaped differently for men & women. I do feel your pain. :tongue:

Happy pedaling, everyone! :drinker:
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thanks skywalker - I will need to look into that as I can't keep cycling bare handed as it's killing me! It is annoying as I want to be able to go further but my hand stops me :-(

Found a great route 2 miles from my house, an old railway track that's been repaved. It's fantastic! Roughly 5 miles long before it cuts off and is proving a great little route to start me off.

Where does everyone else cycle?

Bike shops have special handle bars you can get so you can change your hand position in different ways while riding. Our bike shop told us that carpel tunnel is very prevalent in cycling and highly recommended the handle bars to us. We have not purchased them for me yet, but I also have issues with my right wrist.
  • tipusnr
    Options
    My wife has many issues with her hands. She likes the upright handle bars so added horns to them for additional hand positions. Strangely enough, changing her seat helped her hands from going numb so often. The only thing that I can think of was that a nerve pathway or blood vessel was getting pinched off but I don't know. Just something more to think of Edestiny7.

When looking at gloves watch the finger holes. I had a nicely padded pair that the thumb holes were too tight and put my thumbs to sleep while riding due to restricted blood flow.