MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• ClareRce
    ClareRce Posts: 79
    Options
    Ok, so checking in for last week. I managed 93 miles, instead of my goal of 100. Excuses, excuses I know, but we've got visitors in town and instead of cycling to my aerobics class I had to drive (visitor wanted to come too). I then ran out of time to do the 15 miles on that Saturday so I took the day off from cycling. As a result I had a huge amount of energy for cycling on the Sunday, but not enough time (boat trip on Kaneoehe Bay booked). I think I might take a day or two off during the week and cycle further on the days I have more time. Do you all take days off?

Next week will have to be 107 miles as a result of my shortfall!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I definitely take some days off, and do some other kind of cardio. I've found it actually helps my cycling. Went on a nice 20 mile ride yesterday, and tomorrow planning a 34 mile ride with a breakfast stop at the halfway point. Lots of rolling hills along the way, so a pretty ride and a great workout. I don't have a mileage goal each week, but should end up around 85 miles or so for this week, which is good for me.

Re: the hand numbness, etc., I also had improvement from a seat adjustment. I think it just slightly changed where the pressure on my hands hits, and I'm also getting into the drops more when hill climbing, which is way more comfortable for my legs.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I also take days off. I usually feel much stronger after a day off. Plus, muscle recovery is just as important as muscle building. :happy:

I agree with everything everyone has said so far about handlebars, gloves, seats, etc... I'd also like to add that getting set up properly on your bike at a shop helps. There's a great shop in my area where the guys are extremely knowledgeable. They adjusted my seat, handlebars, and even my cleats. The owner pulled out a giant protractor to measure all my angles (elbows, knees, hips...) to make sure evrything was properly adjusted. I have back and hip issues and getting set up really made a difference. I love this shop!! :heart:

If any of you have a shop like this in your area, definitely check them out! :happy:
  • ClareRce
    Options
    Thanks for your replies Skywalker and LisaKC. Really appreciate it.

That boat trip I mentioned in my previous post, which was wonderful, had a rather bad ending for me. I cut my foot on the coral and this morning I woke up with a swollen red foot, despite my best attempts at cleaning the wound when I got home. I've just returned from a 6 hr stint at hospital because there's a bit of coral stuck in my foot that's too deep for them to get at without surgery and it's got very infected. IV antibiotics and 10 day course ahead.

So I won't be cycling for a little while ;-( (well a couple of days at least!)
  • LisaKC
    Options
    @Clare, I am so sorry about your foot. Take care of that first, and then let us know when you're back in the saddle.

Skywalker is right. A good bike fit is just as important as the bike. My local shop uses the Serrota (sp?) fit method, and it made a lot of difference for me and my husband.

Take care and hope your foot improves quickly.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your foot Clare. Coral is nothing to mess around with so be sure to carry your treatment to the fullest.

One comment about bike fitting systems. Be a little wary of who is operating the system as nothing replaces experience and knowledge. My wife and I went to one shop where they scanned me for my measurement and went throug the whole process before I could get a work in. I knew the results would be worthless but they wanted the sale.

What I knew that they didn't was that I was wearing dress western boots with a underslung heel which would NOT be a part of my cycling attire! To quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"
  • LisaKC
    Options
    tipusnr - So you're a cyclist AND a cowboy??! :wink:
  • tipusnr
    Options

I haven't ridden a horse in years (outside of trail rides in Hawaii). Bicycles are so much easier to store in the garage! :laugh:
  • ClareRce
    Options

I haven't ridden a horse in years (outside of trail rides in Hawaii). Bicycles are so much easier to store in the garage! :laugh:

And considerably cheaper! My husband was more easily convinced about the purchase of a bicycle than a horse funnily enough.

Foot's still as fat as a fat thing this morning; very tedious all round.
  • ClareRce
    Options

And considerably cheaper! My husband was more easily convinced about the purchase of a bicycle than a horse funnily enough.

Foot's still as fat as a fat thing this morning; very tedious all round.
  • skywalker
    Options
    ClareRce, just take it easy and heal. So sorry to hear about that. We'll be here when you're ready to ride again :flowerforyou:
    What I knew that they didn't was that I was wearing dress western boots with a underslung heel which would NOT be a part of my cycling attire! To quote Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

So, wait.... they fitted you for your bike while you were wearing cowboy boots?:laugh:
    I got set up on a trainer while clipped in. If any of you ever find yourselves in northeastern Pennsylvania, check out Around Town Bicycles (www.atownbikes.com). These guys are awesome :happy:
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi. This is my first post on this site. I have used my fitness pal for about one year or so. But just this past week, I decided to change up my exercise program and bought a bike. I had a bike in college to ride back and forth, but never have I done any long distance riding.

I have a set distance I drove my car on. It is 10 miles. It takes me about an hour to ride it on the bike. It is not flat in any place, just low hills mixed with some taller hills.

Anyway, I have set a goal for riding that part for my daily exercise. I have many questions. But I will only ask one today. Should I plan to ride every day?

I would like to join this group, but I don't really see myself joining any cycling competitions. I have gotten stuck loosing weight. I am a red/black belt in Taekwondo. I workout with my kids for about an hour/ three days a week. I used to walk my huskies 5 miles, but that took about 2 hours.

So, as I have said, I am a complete novice at cycling. I do wear a helmet though. I was just hoping to find some support for me.
  • skywalker
    Options
    You'll definitely find support here! Welcome gwynh!!!:drinker:
    I'm a strong believer in taking rest days. Muscle recovery is extremely important, plus too much exercise can lead to injury. Most of the group here is just trying to get fitter and healthier and supporting each other. I know I won't be winning any competitive events :laugh: I just want to continue to improve and lose weight. Like I said at the start of this thread, whether you plan to ride one mile a week or 1000, all are welcome! :happy:

And, yes... ALWAYS wear a helmet! :wink:
  • LisaKC
    Options
    Welcome Gwynnh!
    Really nice ride this morning. 35 miles of rolling hills with a breakfast stop at the halfway point. And my better half did not drop me on any hills this time. :smile: Based on my condition following the ride, this route has now been dubbed the "Wet Noodle Breakfast Ride." :laugh:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    Welcome Gwynnh. I may sound aggressive in my cycling at times but only compete with myself. I used to study TKD with my son but the belts past purple were too hard on my hips (jumpkicks and sickle/hammer kicks tore me up). Look forward to hearing from you often.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This sounds really exciting! I used to cycle a lot when I was around 15-17yo(7-8km), after that moved to college and have never owned a bike since. Lately i have been thinking of getting one, and seeing this thread I am even more determined!
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks all for the welcome. I actually look forward to going riding, even when I get back from riding. I would love to ride for a longer time, but I don't feel comfortable leaving my kids for that long. They are 12, 10 and 8. Old enough to know better, but just not old enough to stay gone for hours.

I must confess, I didn't go to any fancy bike shop to get my bike. I went to the local Wal-mart. :smile: I bought a goose neck bike men's 7 speed that allows me to side up more than being forced to lean over on my hands. It is only a 7 speed, which does fine going up the hills, but I have to ride out the down hill parts alot. Who knows, I may even learn how to fix a flat tire. I have been reading up, but havent' had the need to. (knock on wood).:explode:

I think my goal will be to try to get at least 60 miles a week. I am a school teacher. That means I have lots of free time for the next month. When I get back to work, I will probably have to ride in the afternoons, instead of in the early am before the sun rises too high to melt the tar off the road. I live in South Arkansas where it reaches 105 easily.

When do we start the week goal??
  • skywalker
    Options
    When do we start the week goal??
    You can start whenever you like. I think most of us post our results and/or goals on Sundays or Mondays. I restart my mileage on Monday, so I usually check in on Sunday evenings.:smile:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    Had a great ride tonight though the humidity had be wondering. Started off with a large "B" group (16-18 mph) and rode in the group for most of the 32 miles. My avg speed was 16.5 mph though that may be low as I had a problem with knocking the spedometer out of alignment on an aggressively tight turn. Even at that it matches my high average speed for last year on rides of over 10 mph. And it was neat to be shifting positions within the "peloton" continuallly.

I was temporarily at the front of the pack and made a turn as per the route map with two other riders following me. About two blocks down the other two riders passed me and I looked back and found no one behind us! They had decided not to make the southern loop and were now well ahead of us. Two of the three of us joined up to chase them down but couldn't do it. Then I turned the wrong direction to follow another pair we had caught that I thought were adding additional miles. They were heading to their parking lot and I had to spin around and run down the lady I was riding with. I knocked the spedometer out of whack and had to stop and get it working again but caught her within four or five blocks.

Almost half way to my yearly riding goal and only 52 miles left to reach my weekly goal.
  • LisaKC
    Options
    @tipusnr: Sounds like a great ride! My husband is leading one of the club rides in a few weeks, and it will be the first time in a long time I've joined a club ride. I'm not in the B group; usually with the Cs. Will let you know how it goes! He's gone off this morning with a group of retired guys (he's very recently retired) who bike around town and check out local coffee shops.:drinker: