WHAT DO YOU DO TO NOT EAT IN THE EVENINGS??GRRRRRRR!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My first question is, how confident are you that 1200 is an appropriate daily calorie limit for you?

(Before others gather pitchforks and torches, I'm not saying that it definitely isn't...I don't know enough about OP to know that...but it's an important question...because if it is *not* an appropriate level, then providing tips on eating less may be counterproductive to a more important adjustment to the plan.)

Good question there, i think this program for me is a work in progress, learning as I go...........perhaps i need to re evaluate, thanks for the thoughts.

It's definitely an important aspect...in fact, I'd say it is *the* most important aspect of a weight loss plan. And like I said, I'm not saying that 1200 is *wrong* for you...I'm just saying that trying arbitrarily to adhere to 1200 when it isn't an appropriate level for a person will likely lead to the issues you're having. The solution...the incredibly obvious solution...of increasing those calories to a more reasonable amount can be very difficult for some to do. Fortunately, this site is full of people who have successfully made the transition and lived to tell the awesome tale with long-lasting results.

My suggestion is to find the *highest* daily calorie limit that still results in satisfactory progress towards your goal. Use the Scooby calculator, or some other TDEE calculator, or even just a ballpark estimate based on what sounds right to you, and eat at that level (tracking consistently) for a while...at least four weeks, preferably six to eight...and then evaluate your progress. Losing too quickly? Bump it up a little. Losing too slowly? Knock it down a little. Repeat the process. Win.

When you find your groove with this, it makes everything much easier...you won't be starving (literally or figuratively), you'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to be active (especially once you're more fully recovered from your physical limitations).

ETA:
    Speaking of exercise, while it isn't essential to losing weight, I believe it is crucial psychologically for you to be active in some way. Shoulder problems? Walk. Do body weight squats. Just move. Find something you enjoy doing that doesn't aggravate your problem and do that. Don't worry about a "perfect" plan when just starting out...worry about doing something, anything. (Sure, doing exactly the right thing is best, but doing something will almost always be remarkably better than doing nothing.)

You sound like you know this stuff, your advice is very reasonable and helpful. I should hire you for my personal trainer, if I could just afford one ......LOL. Thanks for the good advice, Blessings to you !!

Heh, thanks...but I'm just a guy who has been here long enough to see some trends...and have noticed where it seems many people struggle with their approach. I've also seen people find incredible results by making the adjustments I suggested up there.

It seems like you have a good attitude about this, so I predict you'll figure it out and do just fine. Best of luck.

(Besides, my rates are incredibly high...(or at least they would be if I actually had rates)...and I'd probably make a lousy trainer. I generally dislike people. =P)
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you've hit your calories for the day but are still hungry late at night, don't starve yourself. Nothing is more de-motivating than going to bed on an empty stomach. When this happens to me I just choose to have some fruit or veggies - something that even though it's going to put me over my calorie goal for the day, are still nutrient dense calories that will be fueling my body in good ways. I never feel guilty about going over my calories if what pushed me over are fruits and veggies.
  • ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It depends on why this is a dilemna....here's what's worked for me....

when the dilemna was I was out of calories I figured out to plan ahead and reserve calories for an evening snack or treat. then I don't feel deprived, especially the evenings I know I will be home. 75 calories can be pineapple with coconut on top, 150 calories is frozen yogurt, etc. Yummy!

when the dilemma was I was bored and food was my entertainment....I figured out I needed new sources of entertainment. that took me a while, and now I do more things with more people. There's less TV time, which screams for food-ertainment; and life is immensely better.

I hope I don't sound preachey -- but it took me decades to figures these things out and I wish someone had shared it with me 30 years ago.

Best regards.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym//exercse it gives you more calories to eat.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Go for a walk, run, go lift whatever go move until you have enough calories to eat to feel satisfied and still maintain a deficit.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My first question is, how confident are you that 1200 is an appropriate daily calorie limit for you?

(Before others gather pitchforks and torches, I'm not saying that it definitely isn't...I don't know enough about OP to know that...but it's an important question...because if it is *not* an appropriate level, then providing tips on eating less may be counterproductive to a more important adjustment to the plan.)

Good question there, i think this program for me is a work in progress, learning as I go...........perhaps i need to re evaluate, thanks for the thoughts.
    It's definitely worth figuring out. There's nothing to be gained by being hungry and unhappy and it's likely you don't need to be in order to succeed. See this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • coverley54
    coverley54 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks again all, your posts are really helpful and encouraging, especially when i look at your weightloss tickers........Makes me feel there's hope, Blessings ::flowerforyou:
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Almonds and Cottage Cheese are your best bets for night snacking.
  • drezda123
    drezda123 Posts: 8
    Options
    I try to keep my hands busy by knitting or doing crafts. If I am just sitting here I want to graze and eat everything in sight.
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    Options
    drink :smile: :drinker: