Ate ice cream, can I burn it off?

Options
I started out my day with chicken breast fajitas and a salad. Then a snack I had a small peach. I got bored and thought to myself I should finish the last of the ice cream so there won't be any left for me to eat anymore. I didn't buy any sweets this week only fruits. I'm still under my calorie goal for the day, but I feel guilty. The amount of ice cream probably equaled to 500-600 calories. Question is, can I get on the treadmill and burn off those calories? Or it won't matter and I've put on that extra fat and sugar from the ice cream?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it fit into your calorie goal for the day then I consider that a victory! You don't need to "work it off" at all.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why burn off the calories if you're under you calorie goal?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have some gelato, and I'll still be 100-150 calories under goal.

Treats are fine in moderation. You're under maintenance, so you won't gain weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Fat and sugar doesn't make you fat. Excess calories does.

Were you around your goal? if so, win.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. They are not extra sticky or heavier or worse because they came from ice cream.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    Or it won't matter and I've put on that extra fat and sugar from the ice cream?

It's about the calories. Fat and sugar calories are the same as green bean calories. So you ate ice cream. Big deal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If it fit into your calorie goal for the day then I consider that a victory! You don't need to "work it off" at all.

^This

And

There is no reason to feel guilty about food. Seriously none at all.

You had ice cream (yum by the way) and it fit into your calorie goals for the day. Where's the problem? What exactly about that should cause a feeling of guilt? Ice cream is yummy; having some every now and then isn't going to derail progress.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to burn it off? Yes. Is it necessary? No.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ok great thanks everyone. I got worried that I binged! The guilt is horrible. I feel like I went over my goal! Maybe it's all psychological! Or maybe I didn't count or log calories right? It's so hard to lose weight. Really is. Especially eating when bored.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I saw the words "I am still under my calorie goal".. what's the deal here? :(:(

Exercise junkie maybe or some sort of disordered thing going on here?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm saving my ice cream bar for my before bed treat. Nothing wrong with ice cream, especially when you can fit it in your calorie budget. Doubtful that could ever fit 500 calories of ice cream in my budget, but generally can do some.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Ok great thanks everyone. I got worried that I binged! The guilt is horrible. I feel like I went over my goal! Maybe it's all psychological! Or maybe I didn't count or log calories right? It's so hard to lose weight. Really is. Especially eating when bored.

Stop feeling horrible guilt and feel proud of yourself for staying on track and eating at or under your calorie goal!!!!!
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You know what, now I want some ice cream. I have some 150 calorie caramel & chocolate ice cream bars in my fridge and I think I'm going to have one. :drinker:
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Calories are calories. They are not extra sticky or heavier or worse because they came from ice cream.

They are extra yummy, though!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I think you may be making this harder on yourself than it needs to be -- especially if you don't really understand the basics. (Like not being sure if you logged correctly, not knowing if sugar calories can be burned off with exercise, thinking maybe that eating fat means you get fat, etc.) You may want to browse this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000507/while-were-waiting-for-pinned-topics-to-come-back-all-those-useful-links-we-post-and-repost

And any links that look useful, including that first one (sexypants) and anything about accurate logging / counting / weighing your food. Knowledge will help you do this without the guilt and worry and weirdness, and will help you do this in a way that won't seem so hard.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I always budget in enough space for ice cream & chocolate.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Guilt is mostly a useless emotion, especially when trying to manage food and exercise. As long as a person is getting adequate nutrition and hitting micronutrients, ice cream is a perfectly appropriate and delicious food.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

They are extra yummy, though!

Can't argue with that!