800 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add that your muscles atrophy (basically turn to mush) if you don't eat enough. My mother passed at 66 basically because she didn't eat enough and smoked on top of it. When they put her in the hospital w/emphysema she weighed 89 lbs and had zero (I did say zero) cholesterol in her body--all from not eating enough. It may not affect you now, but it will down the road. If you feel you have trouble eating enough, gradually increase what you are eating and it won't feel so overwhelming. I found out I wasn't eating enough (around 1050 - 1115 calories) and gradually worked my way a little over 1200 (and lost 8 lbs in the process). Right now I'm starting on maintenance which means increasing my calorie intake even more (around 1400 calories)--it won't happen over night. p.s. I'm over 60, work out w/weights and do abt 15 - 20 min cardio three times a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    DKLI wrote: »
    Stuffed on 500 calories.

For breakfast right??? At least I hope that's what you mean cos otherwise that's just wrong :(
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

On a digital scale as well as level cups and spoons
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'll add in that under-eating for a long period of time will also permanently weaken your bones. And bone density issues as we age are very serious.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Right now I am on a Medical Weight Loss Program and I drink 2 protein shakes, eat 1 protein bar; and then I can have pretty much what I want to up to 960 calories difference. All shakes and bars/chips are 160 calories a piece. I have not had any problem keeping below that; only mess up when my husband cooks on weekends; then I will go over; but, not by much and I am rarely hungry either. Weight loss to lower my cholesterol and maybe also to help other things I take medications for.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    To be more clear, my daily caloric intake IS 960 calories.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DKLI wrote: »
    Stuffed on 500 calories.

For breakfast right??? At least I hope that's what you mean cos otherwise that's just wrong :(

I was quoting one of the posters above. I could never feel stuffed on 500 cals :)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    In your original post you said you were maintaining your current weight on 800 calories a day. If you were truly maintaining (same weight over 4-6 weeks), then you're actually probably eating more calories than you realize and you're fine. You would need to weigh your food to be sure of that. Your diary is closed so I can't tell.

Red flags: You're 2 lbs away from being underweight, but your profile says you have 2 lbs left to lose. You're looking for support for eating 800 calories a day. You say you're 18, but your profile says you're 20?

Breadcrumbs for logic.