1,200 calories a day

Options
i have been eating 1,200 calories a day somedays more if I exercise but im not loosing weight if anything im putting it on.... How n why?!?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

Are you using a scale to determine how many calories you are eating?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn. This could be due to inaccurate logging or you over estimating your calorie burns.

Weigh ALL foods and measure liquids (Other than water) and only eat 50% of exercise calories back to allow for inaccuracies.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Either logging your food inaccurately, logging your exercise inaccurately, or a combination of both. Can't see your diary, so hard to tell.
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn. This could be due to inaccurate logging or you over estimating your calorie burns.

Weigh ALL foods and measure liquids (Other than water) and only eat 50% of exercise calories back to allow for inaccuracies.

Yes, this. I eat 1200 cals, weighing and measuring everything and have lost 2 pounds a week as MFP is set to. . Do you eat out a lot? It's much harder to guesstimate those calories. If you were consuming 1200 cals a day I can't imagine not losing weight, even if you were sedentary (unless there was a medical issue).
  • sfonken
    sfonken Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories. I never eat any more due to exercise. That is not saying there are not days that I do eat more. Everyone has those days. I just try not to eat anymore than 1200 calories regardless of exercise. It is too easy to misjudge the amount of calories burned. By doing this, I have lost 101.4 pounds in the last year. My opinion, exercise is a bonus. It will help you lose faster and more. But if you eat the calories you burned, you burned them for nothing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale to measure your foods accurately?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    sfonken wrote: »
    I am also on 1200 calories. I never eat any more due to exercise. That is not saying there are not days that I do eat more. Everyone has those days. I just try not to eat anymore than 1200 calories regardless of exercise. It is too easy to misjudge the amount of calories burned. By doing this, I have lost 101.4 pounds in the last year. My opinion, exercise is a bonus. It will help you lose faster and more. But if you eat the calories you burned, you burned them for nothing.

Um....what?

Maybe if you're doing TDEE-20%, but eating back at least some of your exercise calories is how MFP is built to work. Your goal cal amounts assume no exercise. Eating back exercise cals puts you back to the loss goal you entered. But go ahead and continue to advocate netting probably 1000 cals or lower. That totally doesn't most people up for failure.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    i have been eating 1,200 calories a day somedays more if I exercise but im not loosing weight if anything im putting it on.... How n why?!?

Either:

1. You're already so small that 1200 calories a day isn't a caloric deficit (unlikely)
    2. You're the first person ever who defied the laws of science (unlikely)
    3. You're not accurately logging and actually eating more than 1200 calories (likely)
  • priincessssdd
    priincessssdd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have pcos... Duno if thats any thing about it, but no i only count the steps i take even if i do more exercise, if the food isnt labled I'll always go for the highest amounts i have also stopped drinking cans of coke, thats all i used to drink
    Options
    I have pcos... Duno if thats any thing about it, but no i only count the steps i take even if i do more exercise, if the food isnt labled I'll always go for the highest amounts i have also stopped drinking cans of coke, thats all i used to drink

I have PCOS. I weigh my foods. I've lost 32lbs since January. On 1480 calories a day.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use a scale to weigh all your foods and log them accurately into MFP. If you are having trouble with that maybe ask a relative or friend to help you with the process for a day or two to make sure you are doing it accurately.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    looked at your diary.

You are not weighing your food on a food scale. And probably eat much more calories than you think

Start weighing ALL your food on a scale
    Dont use cup sizes or serving sizes...they are way off most of the time.

See this short video about the difference it can make ( hundreds of calories even) between weighing your food or using a cup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    btw
    PCOS can slow your weight loss down. But it isnt impossible to lose weight when you have PCOS. As stated by @aimeerace
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I have PCOS. I weigh my foods. I've lost 32lbs since January. On 1480 calories a day.

Yay for your weight loss!

Are you taking anything like Metformin for the PCOS?

Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yay for your weight loss!

Are you taking anything like Metformin for the PCOS?

Nope. No medication or birth control. Just laser treatment for my damn hairy self. Lol my doctor has never medicated me as I'm not one for taking pills. PCOS symptoms massively alleviate when I keep my weight down so that's why I'm trying my best to get it under control.
  • rolaska
    rolaska Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could just have a slow metabolism, your genes were made that way. My doctor told me after telling me my thyroid was fine I just have a slow metabolism, if I want to lose weight I should eat 1000 to 1200 if you exercise for an hour of cardio and if you don't exercise then you should only eat 800 calories a day. But to be safe you should get your thyroid checked first.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rolaska wrote: »
    You could just have a slow metabolism, your genes were made that way. My doctor told me after telling me my thyroid was fine I just have a slow metabolism, if I want to lose weight I should eat 1000 to 1200 if you exercise for an hour of cardio and if you don't exercise then you should only eat 800 calories a day. But to be safe you should get your thyroid checked first.

This literally has nothing to do with the OPs question.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Not all people with PCOS are insulin resistant. Aimee likely falls under that category.

The OP, even for not measuring her intake accurately and eating back all of her exercise calories with overinflated burns????

Well, she has a lot of weight to lose. She's still likely eating at a deficit, and hasn't seen scale movement at all. Has possibly seen a gain.

I'm going to wager that she's insulin resistant.

OP, you probably should low carb. It's recommended in many cases for women with PCOS/insulin resistance.

It's not a magic bullet, though. You'll still need to count calories. Weigh your food.

You can find good help on low carb in the low carb group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Not all people with PCOS are insulin resistant. Aimee likely falls under that category.

The OP, even for not measuring her intake accurately and eating back all of her exercise calories with overinflated burns????

Well, she has a lot of weight to lose. She's still likely eating at a deficit, and hasn't seen scale movement at all. Has possibly seen a gain.

I'm going to wager that she's insulin resistant.

OP, you probably should low carb. It's recommended in many cases for women with PCOS/insulin resistance.

It's not a magic bullet, though. You'll still need to count calories. Weigh your food.

You can find good help on low carb in the low carb group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Yes this. I had similar issues in the beginning didn't know I was IR at the time. Since low carbing I've been steadily losing. There are several people in the low carb group with pcos as well
  • priincessssdd
    priincessssdd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im taking metformin it was helping but just lately its stopped ive been taking 1 with breakfast and 2 with dinner i dont know if im ment to cause the pharmacist said i can take 2 together not long ago but then I don't know if its still ok cause they changed them