If you eat apples you could be wasting 30%

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Banana peels are also edible and can amount to 50% of a banana's weight. And what does a banana cost, $10? You're throwing away $5 every time you toss a banana peel.

Where the crap are you buying bananas at $10 a pop?

Bananas are a hot commodity. People be slippin' on them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The core tastes bitter and weird. No thanks.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who eats the entire apple and the entire orange - peel and all.

I think it's disgusting.

Then again, there are people in parts of the world who eat cockroaches. Maybe we should stop spraying our houses with pesticides to kill them and instead start trapping and eating them. Imagine the savings!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I'm content to let the apple core go to waste.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

I think it's disgusting.

Then again, there are people in parts of the world who eat cockroaches. Maybe we should stop spraying our houses with pesticides to kill them and instead start trapping and eating them. Imagine the savings!

And the protein benefits!
  • abelizer408
    abelizer408 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to take pride in eating entire apples including seeds. didn't die of cyanide poisoning but stopped once I learned of that danger....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's a loss I'm willing to assimilate into my budgetary constraints.

werd...

my cores also go into my compost.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I think it's disgusting.

And the protein benefits!

Ewwwwwww!
  • Erida_Zgjana
    Erida_Zgjana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If u eat just one or two not more .
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the cores when I was a teenager because I was too lazy to get up and throw the core away. True story, bro.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

Same here. I'll never eat a whole Apple.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Banana peels are also edible and can amount to 50% of a banana's weight. And what does a banana cost, $10? You're throwing away $5 every time you toss a banana peel.

afd6ulnhz3gd.gif
    I love you so much for this.

It's been a long time since I've seen it- so I have forgotten a lot of them.. Good job you. that's a flat out win right there!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Word. The core is tough. No thanks.

OP, can't you just add your apple cores to your compost pile / bin? Seems like a good way to avoid waste. Not to mock you. I'm sure you had good intentions.

You could do that I was just saying how much we waste. I eat the entire apple sometimes but do compost/worm bin all wasted veggies
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

afd6ulnhz3gd.gif
    I love you so much for this.

It's been a long time since I've seen it- so I have forgotten a lot of them.. Good job you. that's a flat out win right there!

Yeah, I owe myself a binge too.

y9z3trqnlo7s.gif

• camground2
    camground2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Did you know you can eat the entire apple? The only part not edible is the seed. Its no such thing as an apple core you can eat it. If each of us eats an apple a day, as we all do, and we are all wasting 30 percent of our apples at $1.30 per pound, that's about $42 wasted per person per year—which is $13.2 billion annually, thrown in the trash. Its a video somewhere that shows how to eat an apple like a boss!

Been eating whole apple for like 40+ years. Yep even crunch up seeds.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think I wasted more time reading this than I waste eating apples incorrectly...

LOL, yeah. :D

I must be wasting a lot more of my apple, because always remove the peel before eating. Because I don't like it. You mad? :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    This is why I only eat apple pie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Purple1105
    Purple1105 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think I wasted more time reading this than I waste eating apples incorrectly...

Yup, that's about right!