Replies

• bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A woman at work eats the whole core, we just stared at her lol
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    No thanks, eating the core is like chewing finger nails.

Plus, if I throw out the core, it's 30% fewer calories :wink:
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old eats apple cores, or rather she practically inhales entire fruit and takes no prisoners.

I remember growing up that my grandfather would sometimes eat the core, and I'm the same. I don't always eat it, but I might if I'm eating my apple while on the move and can't be bothered to find a bin.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    camground2 wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    Did you know you can eat the entire apple? The only part not edible is the seed. Its no such thing as an apple core you can eat it. If each of us eats an apple a day, as we all do, and we are all wasting 30 percent of our apples at $1.30 per pound, that's about $42 wasted per person per year—which is $13.2 billion annually, thrown in the trash. Its a video somewhere that shows how to eat an apple like a boss!

Been eating whole apple for like 40+ years. Yep even crunch up seeds.

I believe the seeds contain arsenic, so you might want to give them up. Having said that my dad claims he has been eating them for 80 years with no ill-effect.

Before I (temporarily) gave up apples I ate the whole apple apart from the seeds/stem.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Another vote for composting. And planting apple trees for free apples.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

If you don't mind waiting 7 to 10 years for the new trees from seed to bear fruit...

Even then, apples are notorious for not "breeding true", i.e. the offspring generally do not have the traits of the parent trees, particularly the traits we humans desire most like large fruit, soft flesh and a sweet taste. Chances are, if you plant apple seeds and then wait years and years for the tree to bear fruit, what you'll get are small, hard, sour tasting crab apples. For this reason, apples were often to make cider rather than eating raw. To get around the annoying genetics of apples, cultivation of apples for consuming raw is accomplished via asexual grafting (cloning) instead of planting the seeds.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Did you know you can eat the entire apple? The only part not edible is the seed. Its no such thing as an apple core you can eat it. If each of us eats an apple a day, as we all do, and we are all wasting 30 percent of our apples at $1.30 per pound, that's about $42 wasted per person per year—which is $13.2 billion annually, thrown in the trash. Its a video somewhere that shows how to eat an apple like a boss!

I believe the seeds contain arsenic, so you might want to give them up. Having said that my dad claims he has been eating them for 80 years with no ill-effect.

Before I (temporarily) gave up apples I ate the whole apple apart from the seeds/stem.

I believe you have to eat a lot of seeds.

I hate the core, all stiff and tasteless
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options

The seeds contain a small amount of cyanide. And you'd need to eat a lot of them to have any impact.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2737/

I don't eat apple cores because they have that inner skin around the seeds that is bitter. But I do eat orange peels. Not the entire peel usually. Maybe 25 to 50% depending on whether or not it's good. The best peels have a thick pith and juicy rind.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you eat an apple from the bottom, you will not even notice the core apart from the pithy part around the seeds and the very bottom of the stem, which you can spit out if you don't like the texture. I pull off the stem and eat from bottom to top, ending up with a little 'pod' where the seeds sit at the end that's no bigger than my finger tip. Just like spitting out orange seeds. Or if I get those teeny-tiny apples I pull off the stem and just pop the whole thing in my mouth, spitting out the seed pod just like one would a cherry pit. That way, whatever my apples weigh I know I've eaten without weighing the core at the end.

I'm better at eating the whole apples than my horse (who tries to eat big apples like I do the tiny ones and tends to get it stuck in her cheek XD )

(side note: cats vs bananas is my favorite video on the entire Internet)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

The seeds contain a small amount of cyanide. And you'd need to eat a lot of them to have any impact.

Cyanide. Thank you for the correction.
    I read a story once about some guy who saved up a cupful of apple seeds to kill himself with; not sure if that's just urban myth.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Cyanide. Thank you for the correction.
    I read a story once about some guy who saved up a cupful of apple seeds to kill himself with; not sure if that's just urban myth.

Probably a myth. A friend of mine eats like 3 full apples a day, seeds and all. He eats the whole thing in 3 bites like a horse lol.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Banana peels are also edible and can amount to 50% of a banana's weight. And what does a banana cost, $10? You're throwing away $5 every time you toss a banana peel.

:D

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

If you don't mind waiting 7 to 10 years for the new trees from seed to bear fruit...

Even then, apples are notorious for not "breeding true", i.e. the offspring generally do not have the traits of the parent trees, particularly the traits we humans desire most like large fruit, soft flesh and a sweet taste. Chances are, if you plant apple seeds and then wait years and years for the tree to bear fruit, what you'll get are small, hard, sour tasting crab apples. For this reason, apples were often to make cider rather than eating raw. To get around the annoying genetics of apples, cultivation of apples for consuming raw is accomplished via asexual grafting (cloning) instead of planting the seeds.

I happen to love crab apples, but I've never met anyone that tried to plant an apple tree from seed. I plant small trees I purchase. Which does make the apples not totally "free", though after a few years the cost is pretty negligible per apple. Of course you still have to wait a few years for them to grow large enough to support apples.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    If God wanted me to eat seeds, he would have made me a bird. :yum:
    Now I'm off to eat an apple...
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'll pass. Gross. Edible doesn't mean "good".
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know my apple cores don't go to waste. My egg laying hens think they are a tasty snack.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The birds get mine, what they don't eat ends up as waste, they don't waste much though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If God wanted me to eat seeds, he would have made me a bird. :yum:
    Now I'm off to eat an apple...

So, no sunflower or sesame seeds? And you remove the seeds from berries and squash before eating?