Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Since when is it the government's job to make parental decisions in the US?

Well since childhood obesity is run rampant, many parents don't do anything about it and the government is paying over 50% of healthcare costs.

How about a $.05 per ounce tax on pop, mandated to go to healthcare? Wonder how many people would buy the 64 oz bladder buster at $4.50 vs $.99?
    They did this with gas and tobacco products. Adding "sin" tax does little to deter usage. Obesity is an issue due to lack of concern at HOW MUCH someone is consuming. Not just WHAT someone is consuming. There are lots and lots of healthy people who consume sugared drinks within a decent calorie amount. There are sugared teas, juices, coffee, etc. that don't fall under the same scrutiny as soda, yet yield some of the same amounts in grams.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Talk to someone who works in the auto industry about what happens to sales of pick ups and large SUVs vs small cars when the price of gas is over $4 a gallon vs $2.50.

Best selling vehicle in the US in 2007 - when oil was moonshooting to $140/barrel - was the F-150 pickup truck.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Lexicpt wrote: »
    The government has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot order with their meal. This is ridiculous.

Do you pay taxes? If you don't know, government pays over 50% of the health care costs in the US.

Did you know that increasing tobacco taxes has had the net effect of increasing overall lifetime gov't expenditures?

If fiscal realities are top of mind for you, you should be asking for the opposite - subsidize the worst food choices, because the cost of the subsidy in the early stages of life will be more than paid for the declines in the amount of social security and medicare paid out at the end of life.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I think it's a good decision. Obviously america has a weight problem. Some know I believe it's not due to "inactivity". I already posted studies showing that "exercise" doesn't produce weight loss. The issue is the food we eat.

Comments like "it's not the governments job to make parent decisions for the kids" if the parents can't take care of their kids properly someone has to step in. I have seen countless women who are struggling with their weight on MFP. One reason is because they end up buying junk food for the kids, and the mother over consumes it. WHat are these parents teaching their kids?

It never made sense to me when people have foods they have problems with "junk foods that cause them to over eat and binge" in the house. Their common response is, "I shouldn't need to punish my kids because I am trying to lose weight." So what's the objective, let your kids get over weight?

I went off tangent of my original post. As @guitarjerry said, marketing to kids isn't cool. We have ot keep in mind food companies are a business. If you had a business of selling something, such as cars. Wouldn't you wan tto sell as many cars as you can and get people interested in your product and keep on buying it?

It's no different for food companies, they have a product, they want to make profit. They have food scientists making these foods as close to addicting as possible. They're not stupid, give as much flavor/taste as possible that people like, and put it in smallest volume possible. What is this? High caloric density foods, they digest quickly, so who wants more? It tastes good too.. so we should all just keep on buying and buying and buying.

Just as you say exercise is not the reason people are obese. Food is also not the reason people are obese.

Personal decisions are. If a person is aware that something lacks nutrients and contains high calorie content and chooses to indulge anyway, that is not the fault of the inanimate food item. If a person does not know that the food is high in caloric content and over consumption could lead to weight gain and poor health, that is an education issue, again not the foods fault.

I don't disagree with you, i agree with you. In my case, my dad always bought me and my brother whatever we wanted. We would see him every weekend and spend the summer with him. He's not over weight, and neither is my mother. I remember sometimes eating ice cream for breakfast, and drinking pepsi's all week as our water source. I learned some bad habits that evolved around food. I also remember eating Taco Bell and Burger King constantly. I eventually got up to 400lbs. When i was at my heaviest, Taco Bell was my favorite food. My brother is younger, and he's getting up there in weight. I lost most of my weight, but sometimes it's still a struggle as it is for most of us here. I asked my dad, "why did you give us whatever we wanted?" He said, "So you can learn what's right and wrong on your own and make wise decisions." I have had the freedom since child hood, it didn't workout well.

Do you think it would be acceptable for companies to put some drug in our food such as heroine or methamphetamine. The answer should be obviously not. I don't see how this is any different than the things food companies do to our foods. Someone might reply with, "those are damaging to your health" are they in low dosages? The food companies do the same.

Why though is it the food companies ? What about a local mom and pop bakery are their foods loaded with ingredients that make you keep coming back? What are these specific items that the food companies are using?

It's all sugar one way or the other. sugar can also be defined as processed carbs as well.

So it's whoever processes the carbs fault? Or is it the grower that sold it to the processor's fault?

What is it that is added to these items by the food industry that prevents only some individuals from limiting their intake?

A better question would be is "what makes certain drugs illegal, and who's fault is it?" that should answer the question. Of course there is personal responsibility in all this, but there is also people who have some serious problems. MOST Americans are over weight, so most people have a problem.

that's actually irrelevant to this conversation. We aren't talking about drug laws.

You agreed with me that it's the individual who makes the choice what to eat and whether or not to continue eating in excess. But then you say things that blame others for their choices.

It can't be both. The only person that controls what you consume is you, regardless of how good something tastes. Unless you have proof that something proven to be addicting is being added to certain foods.

Simply stating that most Americans are over weight and therefore have a problem doesn't prove that the food industry is causing it, it shows that most people either lack the willpower to control what they eat or don't have the proper education to know they shouldn't eat in excess.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It is a fact that most west virginians drink mt. Dew.
    Please link a legitimate source that confirms this. I for one would love to see verification.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

So, it's the corporations fault a person can't moderate their intake? You're giving the corporation too much power, and setting up the classic copout "it's the man's fault, not mine".

Corporations know how to market. Do they directly control the consumer's actions? Of course not, but they have a heavy influence on consumers and know how to get to them - through the kids. Corporations have a lot more power than you are giving them credit for. They invest millions in lobbyists to lobby before congress for their own ends. They grease the palms of politicians. They have the best attorneys money can buy to insure the consumer has absolutely no legal recourse.

Exactly. Marketers and psychologists are paid to specifically target ads to hit kids right in the sweet spot, using their knowledge of child development.
    http://mediasmarts.ca/marketing-consumerism/how-marketers-target-kids

It's not a level playing field by any means.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The government has no business telling anyone what they can and cannot order with their meal. This is ridiculous.

Do you pay taxes? If you don't know, government pays over 50% of the health care costs in the US.

Did you know that increasing tobacco taxes has had the net effect of increasing overall lifetime gov't expenditures?

If fiscal realities are top of mind for you, you should be asking for the opposite - subsidize the worst food choices, because the cost of the subsidy in the early stages of life will be more than paid for the declines in the amount of social security and medicare paid out at the end of life.

Oh yeah, I've heard stuff along those lines. Actuaries like smokers, for example, because they tend to die off before they can suck up too many resources.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    don't have any legitimate source but must say that my god they do consume a lot of mt. Dew there, but hey that is just my personal observation. :*
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

So, it's the corporations fault a person can't moderate their intake? You're giving the corporation too much power, and setting up the classic copout "it's the man's fault, not mine".

Corporations know how to market. Do they directly control the consumer's actions? Of course not, but they have a heavy influence on consumers and know how to get to them - through the kids. Corporations have a lot more power than you are giving them credit for. They invest millions in lobbyists to lobby before congress for their own ends. They grease the palms of politicians. They have the best attorneys money can buy to insure the consumer has absolutely no legal recourse.

Exactly. Marketers and psychologists are paid to specifically target ads to hit kids right in the sweet spot, using their knowledge of child development.

Lol, one of "thinnest" times of anyone's lives is when they were a kid. Part of the reason why is because HAVE to be told to eat. They usually won't eat on a timed basis (unless it's a school setting where there's say snack and lunch time), they eat when they are hungry. A hungry kid will usually whine about ANYTHING they eat that's good for them. Now maybe some may consider me a bad parent, but if my daughter doesn't eat the breakfast/dinner that I make for her, she'll probably go hungry. I'm NOT going to break down and go by her a snack pack because it's a commercial she's seen on TV and then begs for it at meal time. Do I deprive her of fun snacks? No. But she doesn't get to have it over a nutritious meal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Lol, one of "thinnest" times of anyone's lives is when they were a kid. Part of the reason why is because HAVE to be told to eat. They usually won't eat on a timed basis (unless it's a school setting where there's say snack and lunch time), they eat when they are hungry. A hungry kid will usually whine about ANYTHING they eat that's good for them. Now maybe some may consider me a bad parent, but if my daughter doesn't eat the breakfast/dinner that I make for her, she'll probably go hungry. I'm NOT going to break down and go by her a snack pack because it's a commercial she's seen on TV and then begs for it at meal time. Do I deprive her of fun snacks? No. But she doesn't get to have it over a nutritious meal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I guess i'd like your opinion then on what you'd do to solve the obesity crisis.

I think it's safe to say right now that while the responsibility SHOULD lie on the parent, most aren't doing a very good job. Even with their own bodies. They are just breeding more and more obese, raising obese, who are raising obese, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

And now there's even "fat activists" purporting things like "Healthy At Every Size" and claiming "hate crimes" for being told their children are overweight.

Does the government step in? Whose responsibility is it when we have more and more obese (even morbidly so) that are causing drain on society? Do we just let them all die from the beetus?

I am genuinely curious on what you think needs to be done since you seem opposed to their current proposed method and the current methods we're using as a society seem to not be working.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I guess i'd like your opinion then on what you'd do to solve the obesity crisis.

I think it's safe to say right now that while the responsibility SHOULD lie on the parent, most aren't doing a very good job. Even with their own bodies. They are just breeding more and more obese, raising obese, who are raising obese, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

And now there's even "fat activists" purporting things like "Healthy At Every Size" and claiming "hate crimes" for being told their children are overweight.

Does the government step in? Whose responsibility is it when we have more and more obese (even morbidly so) that are causing drain on society? Do we just let them all die from the beetus?

I am genuinely curious on what you think needs to be done since you seem opposed to their current proposed method and the current methods we're using as a society seem to not be working.

Based on the vast majority of posts here, people either choose not to, or are incapable of learning and adapting. Remove one evil (soda), and it will just be replaced by another (Starbucks), until people can learn what, truly, the problem is. Weight based medical copays? Hit em in the bank account? Reduction in child tax credits to parents of overweight kids? Maybe nothing need be done, and let natural selection run its course?
  • tomatoey
    Options

Lol, one of "thinnest" times of anyone's lives is when they were a kid.

Maybe for your generation and mine. Do you have stats for the current crop of kids?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Do you pay taxes? If you don't know, government pays over 50% of the health care costs in the US. Chances are pretty good that when little Johnny or Janie develops becomes diabetic, with a bunch of pop being a significantly contributing factor you're going to be paying for the health care costs.

You good with that?

so you are justifying this bad law by pointing to an even more horrible law that takes money from one group of people and then uses it - unconstitutionally IMO - to subsidize health care for another group?

• ndj1979
    Options
    I think it's a good decision. Obviously america has a weight problem. Some know I believe it's not due to "inactivity". I already posted studies showing that "exercise" doesn't produce weight loss. The issue is the food we eat.

Comments like "it's not the governments job to make parent decisions for the kids" if the parents can't take care of their kids properly someone has to step in. I have seen countless women who are struggling with their weight on MFP. One reason is because they end up buying junk food for the kids, and the mother over consumes it. WHat are these parents teaching their kids?

It never made sense to me when people have foods they have problems with "junk foods that cause them to over eat and binge" in the house. Their common response is, "I shouldn't need to punish my kids because I am trying to lose weight." So what's the objective, let your kids get over weight?

I went off tangent of my original post. As @guitarjerry said, marketing to kids isn't cool. We have ot keep in mind food companies are a business. If you had a business of selling something, such as cars. Wouldn't you wan tto sell as many cars as you can and get people interested in your product and keep on buying it?

It's no different for food companies, they have a product, they want to make profit. They have food scientists making these foods as close to addicting as possible. They're not stupid, give as much flavor/taste as possible that people like, and put it in smallest volume possible. What is this? High caloric density foods, they digest quickly, so who wants more? It tastes good too.. so we should all just keep on buying and buying and buying.

Just as you say exercise is not the reason people are obese. Food is also not the reason people are obese.

Personal decisions are. If a person is aware that something lacks nutrients and contains high calorie content and chooses to indulge anyway, that is not the fault of the inanimate food item. If a person does not know that the food is high in caloric content and over consumption could lead to weight gain and poor health, that is an education issue, again not the foods fault.

I don't disagree with you, i agree with you. In my case, my dad always bought me and my brother whatever we wanted. We would see him every weekend and spend the summer with him. He's not over weight, and neither is my mother. I remember sometimes eating ice cream for breakfast, and drinking pepsi's all week as our water source. I learned some bad habits that evolved around food. I also remember eating Taco Bell and Burger King constantly. I eventually got up to 400lbs. When i was at my heaviest, Taco Bell was my favorite food. My brother is younger, and he's getting up there in weight. I lost most of my weight, but sometimes it's still a struggle as it is for most of us here. I asked my dad, "why did you give us whatever we wanted?" He said, "So you can learn what's right and wrong on your own and make wise decisions." I have had the freedom since child hood, it didn't workout well.

Do you think it would be acceptable for companies to put some drug in our food such as heroine or methamphetamine. The answer should be obviously not. I don't see how this is any different than the things food companies do to our foods. Someone might reply with, "those are damaging to your health" are they in low dosages? The food companies do the same.

Why though is it the food companies ? What about a local mom and pop bakery are their foods loaded with ingredients that make you keep coming back? What are these specific items that the food companies are using?

It's all sugar one way or the other. sugar can also be defined as processed carbs as well.

So it's whoever processes the carbs fault? Or is it the grower that sold it to the processor's fault?

What is it that is added to these items by the food industry that prevents only some individuals from limiting their intake?

A better question would be is "what makes certain drugs illegal, and who's fault is it?" that should answer the question. Of course there is personal responsibility in all this, but there is also people who have some serious problems. MOST Americans are over weight, so most people have a problem.

yea, with overeating.

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Education. The reason people who are financially independent or rich is because they educated themselves on how to use finances and money correctly. That's about 1% of the US population. They don't teach financial education (economics) anymore in schools. If you want to become smart with money, you end up going out and learning it yourself.
    Same with nutritional classes. I had them in school growing up in the 70's along with mandatory PE classes. Kids today have NO IDEA what's good for them or why. And parents who are in their 20's don't either because those same education classes were more than likely disbanded when they were in school. Unless we as people going out independently to educate ourselves on health/nutrition, then we as a society are just stuck with unknowledgable people just eating whatever is the most convenience to us.
    Will it reach everyone? No, but today's people know that being overweight/obese is a bad thing. If they KNOW that, then why aren't they able to avoid it? Because like most of my clients, they weren't taught like I was growing up that a surplus of calories well over what you need (which for many is just one calorie dense meal), would only take a short time to translate to a good amount of weight gain. We were tested on nutritional value of foods and yes CANDY, SODA and SUGAR were all discussed. Today the conversation in a classroom is "don't eat too much sugar because it's bad for your teeth" and that's about it. You have to tell kids to brush their teeth as a parent, so why do you think that saying something like that would automatically be enough to dissuade a kid to stop eating sugar?
    What if learning about how to eat correctly was a class curriculum? Don't you think that'd have a bigger impact? And it would cost much less doing that, then just HOPING that banning sugar will deter people from wanting to consume it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yea, with overeating.

That's the thing. They are overeating. Obviously not just too many calories from soda but total calories. I don't agree with this law, but i'll ask you the same i asked niner above.

• ndj1979
    Options

yea, with overeating.

That's the thing. They are overeating. Obviously not just too many calories from soda but total calories. I don't agree with this law, but i'll ask you the same i asked niner above.

what is the question?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

yea, with overeating.

what is the question?

• Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nothing. It will solve itself over time.

The vast majority of obese people didn't get that way by eating an extra 1000 calories a day, they got that way by eating an extra half a snickers bar a day, for 5+ years. So the notion that a big chunk of the population is eating stupid amounts of stupid food all the time isn't based in reality.

Until people have a meaningful and immediate reason to not carry extra weight, there's nothing to be done.

If the gov't should mandate anything, it's daily physical exercise in the work place. Good luck with that in "'Murica!".

• ndj1979
    Options

yea, with overeating.

what is the question?

I see it now..

how to stop the obesity epidemic. Good question.

I don't believe in top down, one size fits all government solutions. I really think that it is going to have to come from local communities educating people about what causes obesity, what the risk factors are, etc. I think also educating people about physical activity and that you don't have to run ten miles to be "healthy" but if you just eat a little better and walk a little bit that you can be at a healthy weight. I mean no everyone has a goal of being shredded or having minimal body fat.

If you ban or restrict soda, then people will just move on and make up the soda calorie with fried chicken calories; ban the fried chicken, they will move onto cookies, and so on and so on.

However, in a free society you can't really force people to eat a certain way or be active. If someone wants to do zero exercise and overeat on X amount of food all day then you really can't tell that person "no, you have to eat 2000 calories a day and that is it." I think where we get into a problem is that this bad behavior is subsidized because if you are obese and end up sick then you can go and apply for government assistance to through medicare/medicaid, etc, and yes you can get medical care, but that does not address the non active, overeating problem that is leading to the sickness.

So my answer to your question, is that there really is no easy answer. Now if this was communist china we could just put everyone in labor camps and they would be active and thin, but they would have zero freedom …LOL

• Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

yea, with overeating.

what is the question?

I see it now..

how to stop the obesity epidemic. Good question.

I don't believe in top down, one size fits all government solutions. I really think that it is going to have to come from local communities educating people about what causes obesity, what the risk factors are, etc. I think also educating people about physical activity and that you don't have to run ten miles to be "healthy" but if you just eat a little better and walk a little bit that you can be at a healthy weight. I mean no everyone has a goal of being shredded or having minimal body fat.

If you ban or restrict soda, then people will just move on and make up the soda calorie with fried chicken calories; ban the fried chicken, they will move onto cookies, and so on and so on.

However, in a free society you can't really force people to eat a certain way or be active. If someone wants to do zero exercise and overeat on X amount of food all day then you really can't tell that person "no, you have to eat 2000 calories a day and that is it." I think where we get into a problem is that this bad behavior is subsidized because if you are obese and end up sick then you can go and apply for government assistance to through medicare/medicaid, etc, and yes you can get medical care, but that does not address the non active, overeating problem that is leading to the sickness.

So my answer to your question, is that there really is no easy answer. Now if this was communist china we could just put everyone in labor camps and they would be active and thin, but they would have zero freedom …LOL

^^^If only the rest of the world thought this way...