It is very tough to eat healthy in New York!!!

Options

Replies

• Karenfrench342
    Options
    Every time you look at one, just picture the amount of fat they would create as a horrid yellow congealed mass around your heart. It might just dampen your enthusiasm to eat it.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Can you please give me directions to where I can find that blue thing? That looks amazing.
    Dominique Ansel bakery on Spring Street in Soho

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2013/03/sugar-rush-spring-sweets-at-dominique-ansel-bakery.html
  • hardcore212
    hardcore212 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    nothing is better than hitting your goals... your bod will stay with you but the meal lasts but a few minutes. you can do it resist the temptation! :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    u can have a cheat meal once a week.. make it a pastry instead of a meal. I do that sometimes! I will stop in panera or krispy kreme and eat like 3 cookies or 2 donuts... or a delicious bagel. The rest of the week.. I eat clean and focus on macros and calories.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Come to Saint Joseph, MO. We have restaurants, bakery's, fast food, you name it we got it. A new restaurant just opened up this week! My uncle Joe from San Francisco, CA visits every 10 years, and he eats at a different place for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the entire 3-5 days he's in town! He is ALWAYS complaining about how we have more places to eat than he does in Cali. It's really very sad, lol So yea it's very hard to stay on track where I live as well.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Its so easy to get healthy food here and if i do well I dont mind those fancy treats from Venieros or cake from Amy's Bread! I think I know where Im going later....
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get to NYC sometimes, and find healthy vegetarian options there, but since I don't have an apartment there I can't cook, so it usually costs quite a bit to get stuff that is organic. I just get so sick of chemicals etc. that I can't naively buy some of the ethnic foods and presume the ingredients are all healthy and not GMO--
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Its so easy to get healthy food here and if i do well I dont mind those fancy treats from Venieros or cake from Amy's Bread! I think I know where Im going later....

Veniero's Italian cheesecake... Hmm, you're giving me ideas for things to do this weekend.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    You clearly haven't been to very many small towns.

omg how can anyone think small town, usa has the same quantity and quality of food as New York city?

its clear you havent traveled much if you really think that.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

omg how can anyone think small town, usa has the same quantity and quality of food as New York city?

I've lived in small towns most of my life. I've also spent significant amounts of time in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Atlanta and Orlando, to name a few.

I'd say it's more likely you haven't really traveled except to big cities since you clearly have no idea the kinds of foods you can find in small towns.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If only there was somewhere to buy fruit in NYC! Alas.

for real? i'm a former new yorker (moved to cali because i couldnt take the winters anymore) and there are all kinds of farmers markets. not to mention corner bodegas. and if you live close enough there's always chinatown either in manhattan or brooklyn.

and yeah it's tough eating healthy in new york if you're always eating out at fast serve places.

one thing i do miss is a chinese restaurant near my old apartment. this place was awesome in a nyc way because there were chinese, mexicans AND caribbeans working there, so i could leave out of that place with fried rice, a couple of tacos and vegetarian patty :laugh:

mmm this is making me want to go back to visit just to eat some pizza, momofuku and shake shack!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

I've lived in small towns most of my life. I've also spent significant amounts of time in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Atlanta and Orlando, to name a few.

I'd say it's more likely you haven't really traveled except to big cities since you clearly have no idea the kinds of foods you can find in small towns.

haha please stop. ive been to small, medium..large...just think about it economically...how can a town of 50k people support the same amount of restaurants in quality and quantity as a city like NYC and its (9 million?) people? it is not physically possible.

also NYC average wealth is way higher than small town, usa. that attracts a MUCH higher level of chefs.

and NYC caters to people all over the planet. you can get just about any food form any where. do you think small town, usa can say that? Panda Express doesnt count. :)

so NYC has better chefs, more restaurants, better restaurants and a much wider range of variety.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    We have the best pizza on the planet here!!!
    Gotta watch out for that super sized NY pizza!

Slice of NY style pizza (Ray's) = ~600 calories / 25 gr fat
    Slice of regular US pizza (Dominos/Pizza Hut) = ~300 calories / 12 gr fat

source:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/garden/eating-well-fat-by-the-slice.html

yeah but NYC pizza tastes infinitely better . that is the one thing i miss being here on the west coast, the pizza sux *kitten* and they have to cover that fact up with 5,011 toppings. meanwhile the plain and simple margheritas taste like crap
  • rml_16
    Options

haha please stop. ive been to small, medium..large...just think about it economically...how can a town of 50k people support the same amount of restaurants in quality and quantity as a city like NYC and its (9 million?) people? it is not physically possible.

also NYC average wealth is way higher than small town, usa. that attracts a MUCH higher level of chefs.

and NYC caters to people all over the planet. you can get just about any food form any where. do you think small town, usa can say that? Panda Express doesnt count. :)

so NYC has better chefs, more restaurants, better restaurants and a much wider range of variety.
    I never said they have the same number. They have the same quality.

And for every good restaurant in NY, there are three lousy ones. I've had some bad food there, as well as good.

I have also learned over the years that expensive and fancy rarely equals tasty.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

And for every good restaurant in NY, there are three lousy ones. I've had some bad food there, as well as good.

I have also learned over the years that expensive and fancy rarely equals tasty.

its quite possible that 1 restaurant or even a few in a smaller town may be excelelnt. but it wont be every category of food and it will be far fewer than a place like NYC.

thats the point of this thread. in NYC you have so many more choices than a small town that its harder for some people to resist those temptations.

lets take Korean food. if you live in small town USA there may be 1 Korean restaurant if you are lucky and odds are it will be average. in NYC there are many. so if you love korean food which city do you think you will be more tempted by? exactly...New York City.
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks! How many calories do you think a blackberry pavlova has? It's just meringue and blackberries and ice cream, right? Maybe like 200?
  • rml_16
    Options

its quite possible that 1 restaurant or even a few in a smaller town may be excelelnt. but it wont be every category of food and it will be far fewer than a place like NYC.

thats the point of this thread. in NYC you have so many more choices than a small town that its harder for some people to resist those temptations.

lets take Korean food. if you live in small town USA there may be 1 Korean restaurant if you are lucky and odds are it will be average. in NYC there are many. so if you love korean food which city do you think you will be more tempted by? exactly...New York City.
    Name an ethnic food you think you can't find in many small towns, and I guarantee I can name a restaurant in every small town where I've lived that has one in that ethnicity.

You clearly have no idea what temptations us "little people" live with.

Everywhere I've lived we've had Greek, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Soul Food, good ol' American diners, Vietnamese, Italian, Mexican (actual AUTHENTIC Mexican in one case), bakeries with foods to die for, Jewish delis ... I could go on, but there's no point. Elitist snobs are elitist snobs.

I live in Tallahassee. I could right walk around the corner and find a plethora of decadent desserts and rich, fattening, excellent food that I love. I choose to not eat it every day, even though it's always available.

And the best pizza I ever had was in Estero, FL. Better than any I ever had in any part of New York state -- including NYC.
  • MucGay
    MucGay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Omg, Lady M! <3
    Best crepe cakes, EVER!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Name an ethnic food you think you can't find in many small towns, and I guarantee I can name a restaurant in every small town where I've lived that has one in that ethnicity.

You clearly have no idea what temptations us "little people" live with.

Everywhere I've lived we've had Greek, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Soul Food, good ol' American diners, Vietnamese, Italian, Mexican (actual AUTHENTIC Mexican in one case), bakeries with foods to die for, Jewish delis ... I could go on, but there's no point. Elitist snobs are elitist snobs.

I live in Tallahassee. I could right walk around the corner and find a plethora of decadent desserts and rich, fattening, excellent food that I love. I choose to not eat it every day, even though it's always available.

And the best pizza I ever had was in Estero, FL. Better than any I ever had in any part of New York state -- including NYC.

lol so you are saying that every small town, medium etc...is equal to NYC in food? or even a significant portion of them are? when people do lists of top food cities in the world NYC tops it a lot of the time...and when it doesnt its almost always in the top 10. my guess is Talahasse never is in the top 10. i wonder why is that? its because the food there doesnt compare. its not even close.

calling me an elitist snob is funny....just calm down...no need to start calling people names ...im just telling the truth...its you that has some weird inferiority complex about small town food choices.

why did you put quotes on "little people"? i never said any such thing.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of you really know how to take a light hearted, slightly amusing thread and turn in into a downer.

One of the great advantages of being a vegetarian in Tokyo is that I can't eat most of the food (due to their obsession with sticking fish in pretty much everything) and their desserts suck. To put in in perspective my favourite dessert in Tokyo is cake from Costco. Yep, that's the best there is.

It does help.

Are you kidding me about Japanese desserts? Granted they don't over sugar their desserts like a lot of American sweets but most bakeries offer sweets more in the style of European bakeries using quality butter and sugar.

You would take a Costco cake over this? To each their own I guess.

601417_4276965255756_628647632_n.jpg?dl=1