Is a 1200 calorie day really realistic???? Is that what most of you are doing????

Options
35pds2newme
35pds2newme Posts: 10 Member
Are most people generally going with a 1200 calorie goal for the day. Just out of curiosity it seems that is what I am seeing posted. How realistic is this really? I am only at day 2--Any thoughts?

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mine is at 1340, when I started is was 1780. I really don't know if I could do 1200, I do okay with what I have now. I have heard a lot of people say that MFP goes way below what you need. Maybe talk with your doctor or a dietitian to see what you should be getting. Or figure out your TDEE and subtract 500 to 1000 cals from that.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm set to lose 1/2 pound a week, and have a calorie goal of 1650. I range from 1350-1600 a day. I'm a crazy person on 1200.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal is based on the information you input when you joined. Did you choose 2lb/week loss? With 35lbs to lose, that's pretty aggressive.

Also, if you are exercising, you should be eating at least a portion of your calories back.

For reference, I'm 33, 5'4" and 144 and I eat 1,800 calories a day to lose.
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to see other peoples food intake in order to see what they are eating for the 1200 calories per day? If so, take a peek at my wall. I stay within my range easily but if I want a treat, I will work for it in exercise.
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been staying under 1200 cal without feeling hungry or like I am starving myself, you can eat really good and filling with a variety of low cal foods :)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick with 1200+ exercise calories; been doing it on and off for 2 years now (I break to maintain for periods). It's worked for me so far!
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are most people generally going with a 1200 calorie goal for the day. Just out of curiosity it seems that is what I am seeing posted. How realistic is this really? I am only at day 2--Any thoughts?

I've also found that most new members who claim to be doing 1200 a day, aren't REALLY doing 1200 a day. They aren't weighing their food, and are estimating, therefor eating a bit more than 1200 (sometimes a lot more). Weigh solids, measure liquids. Over estimating is why some on 1200 seem so satisfied. Not all, of course, but typically the brand new members are over estimating actual calorie consumption.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to force myself to eat 1200 I usually get the msg saying im not eating enough but its hard in the summer grilled chicken and fresh raw fruit don't have many calories
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5", 25 yrs old, 137 lbs, and losing weight on an average of 1858. I'm currently averaging 1.2lbs per week loss eating that amount according to trendweight.com.
  • marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love doing 1200 a day it suits me well. But the only complaint I get backed up (BM) which I'm think 1200 is too little for me. So I upped it to 1500, I'll see if it works. And yes I eat enough fiber and drink water.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, I'm currently eating 2000 calories and losing.

1200 calories is not an appropriate goal for everyone.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2400 and maintaining...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    I started at about 1275 or so ... lost some weight and MFP lowered my max calories ... lost some more weight and MFP lowered my max calories ....

Eventually I was lowered to 1200. I tried that for a few days and just found it a tiny bit too difficult. So I manually raised it to 1250. Those extra 50 cal give me a little bit of flexibility.

Therefore, on a day when I don't do any exercise (very rare), my limit is 1250.

But on a day when I do some exercise, I aim to eat about half my exercise calories back. So there are days where I'm eating 1600 or 1800 cal ... because of the amount of exercise I do. :)
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    The calorie goal is based on the information you input when you joined. Did you choose 2lb/week loss? With 35lbs to lose, that's pretty aggressive.

Also, if you are exercising, you should be eating at least a portion of your calories back.

holy famoly, you are stunning! Similarly, I'm 27, 5'4''..but I eat 1200 or less. my SW was 240 and I have lost eating 1000-1200 (very quickly, mind you) and I work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know if I could eat anymore (and do it without feeling guilty). I really wish i could eat 1800 :(

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Is it realistic? For some, yes. For me, absolutely not. There is no way I could survive on 1200.
    I am 5'5 and over 2000 calories a day. To be fair, I am also nursing (although no longer exclusively so fewer calories needed).
    Before pregnancy I was at at least 1800 calories, or more depending how active I was.
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

holy famoly, you are stunning! Similarly, I'm 27, 5'4''..but I eat 1200 or less. my SW was 240 and I have lost eating 1000-1200 (very quickly, mind you) and I work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know if I could eat anymore (and do it without feeling guilty). I really wish i could eat 1800 :(

@Urban_Princess ... I am 45 and 5ft even! MFP set my calories at 1000! I am so full now it is not funny! I do not know how people eat more than that! I started at 228 and am now 195 in 10 weeks!! YAY! I exercise everyday now, but am still not hungry even tho not eating over 1000-1100!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ptkat28 wrote: »

@Urban_Princess ... I am 45 and 5ft even! MFP set my calories at 1000! I am so full now it is not funny! I do not know how people eat more than that! I started at 228 and am now 195 in 10 weeks!! YAY! I exercise everyday now, but am still not hungry even tho not eating over 1000-1100!

If MFP gave you 1000 calories you set up you goal during the glitch. MFP is not supposed to give you less than 1200 calories and it has been fixed now.

I should also add, I've done the lower calorie and tons of cardio, lost a bunch of weight and looked great. The real struggle came when I moved into maintenance.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

No. I started with a goal of 1330 based on the info I gave MFP about me and my goal. After I lost some weight, my calorie goal lowered and I am at 1270. I do not plan to lower it for a long time- if ever. I can eat around 1270 pretty comfortably. I also eat some of my exercise calories.

I think it would be hard to start out at 1200. If it seems difficult or unreasonable, change your goal to losing less a week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    ptkat28 wrote: »

@ptkat28 - You might want to re-set your goals. There was a glitch a while back where people were getting calorie goals below 1200. 1200 is the minimum calorie goal MFP will give a woman (excluding glitches).
    You can read more about the minimum here:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i'm low on food right now because of budget. it's not ideal (i'm probably going to be a bit hungry when i got to bed) but most of this week will be 12-1300 calories. feel free to take a look if you'd like! my goals run 1600-1750 depending on exercise but i make do on less when i have to.