Is a 1200 calorie day really realistic???? Is that what most of you are doing????

Options

Replies

• ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ptkat28 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    The calorie goal is based on the information you input when you joined. Did you choose 2lb/week loss? With 35lbs to lose, that's pretty aggressive.

Also, if you are exercising, you should be eating at least a portion of your calories back.

For reference, I'm 33, 5'4" and 144 and I eat 1,800 calories a day to lose.

holy famoly, you are stunning! Similarly, I'm 27, 5'4''..but I eat 1200 or less. my SW was 240 and I have lost eating 1000-1200 (very quickly, mind you) and I work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know if I could eat anymore (and do it without feeling guilty). I really wish i could eat 1800 :(

@Urban_Princess ... I am 45 and 5ft even! MFP set my calories at 1000! I am so full now it is not funny! I do not know how people eat more than that! I started at 228 and am now 195 in 10 weeks!! YAY! I exercise everyday now, but am still not hungry even tho not eating over 1000-1100!

If MFP gave you 1000 calories you set up you goal during the glitch. MFP is not supposed to give you less than 1200 calories and it has been fixed now.

I should also add, I've done the lower calorie and tons of cardio, lost a bunch of weight and looked great. The real struggle came when I moved into maintenance.
    ptkat28 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    The calorie goal is based on the information you input when you joined. Did you choose 2lb/week loss? With 35lbs to lose, that's pretty aggressive.

Also, if you are exercising, you should be eating at least a portion of your calories back.

For reference, I'm 33, 5'4" and 144 and I eat 1,800 calories a day to lose.

holy famoly, you are stunning! Similarly, I'm 27, 5'4''..but I eat 1200 or less. my SW was 240 and I have lost eating 1000-1200 (very quickly, mind you) and I work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know if I could eat anymore (and do it without feeling guilty). I really wish i could eat 1800 :(

@Urban_Princess ... I am 45 and 5ft even! MFP set my calories at 1000! I am so full now it is not funny! I do not know how people eat more than that! I started at 228 and am now 195 in 10 weeks!! YAY! I exercise everyday now, but am still not hungry even tho not eating over 1000-1100!

@ptkat28 - You might want to re-set your goals. There was a glitch a while back where people were getting calorie goals below 1200. 1200 is the minimum calorie goal MFP will give a woman (excluding glitches).
    You can read more about the minimum here:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

Thanks you guys!! I will re-calculate and see what happens! I don't want to do something wrong!!! I have tried to eat up to 1200, but I am just too full!!!
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started my diet 8 months ago or so at 1350 daily - i had some trouble staying within it since i was still struggling with eating healthy and not constantly choose junk food options, but i quickly moved to 1200 and starting eating super healthy all at once. I've been doing it for loooong and never really felt like i needed or wanted to eat any more than that...i now have to get into maintenance and i'm actually having a lot of trouble getting past 1200 calories a day haha, it just feels like stuffing to me at some point?? even if i workout 4-5 times a week!
    I think it is very doable as long as you're eating the right stuff ; fiber, protein, healthy fats, good and healthy sources of carbs (whole grains, starchy veggies, fruits etc). They all play a role in keeping you fuller and satiated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat around 3000 to maintain and 2300 - 2500 to lose
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I started my diet 8 months ago or so at 1350 daily - i had some trouble staying within it since i was still struggling with eating healthy and not constantly choose junk food options, but i quickly moved to 1200 and starting eating super healthy all at once. I've been doing it for loooong and never really felt like i needed or wanted to eat any more than that...i now have to get into maintenance and i'm actually having a lot of trouble getting past 1200 calories a day haha, it just feels like stuffing to me at some point?? even if i workout 4-5 times a week!
    I think it is very doable as long as you're eating the right stuff; fiber, protein, healthy fats, good and healthy sources of carbs (whole grains, starchy veggies, fruits etc). They all play a role in keeping you fuller and satiated.

See this bugs me. I have done the whole "clean eating" and "bodybuilder" type diet eating all lean protein, oatmeal, brown rice, green veggies, sweet potato, etc. and still would not have been able to hit 1200 calories and be satisfied.

Because I eat more than 1200 calories does not mean that I do not eat "healthy". I also understand what keep me satiated very well.
  • 35pds2newme
    35pds2newme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the post. Very helpful. I am going try it for a few more days but will probably end up adjusting it up slightly especially given my workout schedule.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it is very doable as long as you're eating the right stuff; fiber, protein, healthy fats, good and healthy sources of carbs (whole grains, starchy veggies, fruits etc). They all play a role in keeping you fuller and satiated.

See this bugs me. I have done the whole "clean eating" and "bodybuilder" type diet eating all lean protein, oatmeal, brown rice, green veggies, sweet potato, etc. and still would not have been able to hit 1200 calories and be satisfied.

Because I eat more than 1200 calories does not mean that I do not eat "healthy". I also understand what keep me satiated very well.

I didn't say that eating more than that is unhealthy by any means! It's probably even better to eat a little more, as you can fit in larger quantities of the nutrients you want (protein etc). But for someone starting a weight loss plan with a lot to lose still, they may or may not feel like its working better if they get used to a larger deficit right from the start? It's so difficult to judge, as the question of how many calories should every one of us eat is personal and based on how we feel and what we like better. I just answered the original question, which was ''is 1200 possible and sustainable'' with my own personal experience.
    I don't follow a particular diet or premade string of rules, I just have my own definition of what feeds me well, what i'm craving and it's kept quite simple, I've seen many people around, both in real life, here and other social medias, adopting the same guidelines or so and it seems to be working with them as well. Nothing restrictive or whatever, just an effort to get the most out of food. :p

• salaita1968
    salaita1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my under 1100 calories
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my under 1100 calories

Thank you @ salaita1968 ! I am trying my hardest to eat more, but I am not hungry!
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 184lbs and 30 years old and I eat 1200 on weekdays and up to 2000 on weekends. It works for me!

I started at 1400 to 1500 calories and I was steadily losing. I still comes up to the same if I do a daily average, but it feels more doable if I can eat more on weekends.

Whatever works for you is what you can stick with, not what other people are doing.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Are most people generally going with a 1200 calorie goal for the day. Just out of curiosity it seems that is what I am seeing posted. How realistic is this really? I am only at day 2--Any thoughts?
    my under 1100 calories

As a male, that is not advisable nor healthy.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Personally, when I was still naive to sustainable weight loss, I did 1200/day. I didn't have a lot to lose; around 20-25lbs. This was back in 2011. My goal was to lose weight fast. I didn't weigh my food, I used MFP for my exercise burns, and eventually got burnt out. Mostly because I was not eating enough for my activity level, or eating enough in general. I was far too hungry on it when it was a regular occurance.

Once I actually realized my goals were too aggressive; and that 1200 is too aggressive of a deficit for me; I was a lot more successful. On my current stint on MFP (440+ day streak, with several false starts over the years before this one!), I started off with .5lb/week loss from the get go, since I wanted to lose around 30lbs. Allowing myself a modest deficit really helped a lot. My loss is stalling now, mostly because I'm happy with how I look, so I'm allowing more maintenance days. 1200 definitely was not realistic for me for the amount I have to lose. I like my calorie deficits small.
  • oldsmobilelover
    oldsmobilelover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find the 1200 really easy if I make good choices with food. I gain extra calories when I exercise which is good for on weekends when I am able to exercise properly and get out with friends.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    MFP gives everyone 1200. For some it might be. I would check your tdee and other things and see what is right for you. Could also ask your doctor and see what he/she would recommend. I started around 1450 cals and worked up to 1987 over time. I kept adjusting it 50-100 if I felt like I wasn't getting enough food or if I was exercising way more than I previously was. Everyone also has different goals that can reflect the number.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight eating between 1200 and 1300 calories. It took about a year and a half. I still eat that much during my work week, but eat between 2000 and 3000 on weekend days to even out my maintanance calories.
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you! I started 4 weeks ago, filled out my stats and MFP gave me around 1500 cals (lightly active, lose 0.5 kg a week). I was incredibly hungry and grumpy for the first few days, upped my cals to around 1600-1700 and felt much happier. I got a fitbit a little over a week ago, turns out I am much more active than I estimated and burn 2350 cals a day on average... (instead of 1850 TDEE I calculated). Get as much (accurate) info as you can and base your calories on that, adjust if needed :)
  • nzubovic
    nzubovic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on 2000 calories, because my basic metabolism need 1950 calories. So I eat 2000-2200 and burn 300-500 just to be in slight deficit by 10%. Also I do cyclic carbs like two days with 50g, two days with 100g and two days with 150 g. Then one day I am on zero carbs and after I do again 50,100... This way I am loosing weight slowly, maybe 3 kg per month, but I loose only fat.
  • HealthDetermined
    HealthDetermined Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did 800 and 900 for some time, so yes 1200 is do-able but not practical and it's not easy and you will have no energy for most of the day and you will get dizzy getting up or even sitting down! It's not how you want to feel, trust me. You won't necesserily have to feel hungry on a 1200 cal diet, because you can get even less than that with a lot of veggies and fruit but really it's no way to live. This is my first week here, at the beginning my goal was set to 1200 but now it's at 1600 -I set it manually both times, mfp suggested 1800something-, and I know I could eat to 2000 cals and still loss the amount of weight I want to loss weekly but I am satisfied with what I do now because at least half of my calories come from fruits and vegtables, my budget even allows me to have one treat or so a day so I can't be happier and I don't see myself eating more.
    Ps. if you looked at my diary you would find that my goal is 1600 but I eat only 1100-1200 that's only cause I don't weight food, it's all an estimation. In reality I probably hit 1500 or 1600 a day.
  • lau_rolypoly2holymoly
    lau_rolypoly2holymoly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and have been under every day as also exercise but generally choose low calorie foods and have lots of protein
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    from the first week i knew it was too small for me, if i stuck at that target i would have given up long time. anything from 1500 + suits me.
  • foodequalshappy
    foodequalshappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's only realistic if you work out and add some calories to your day. I try for 2 half hour walks to give myself 300 calories extra and get to 1500.