Is it true that Bananas will make you gain because of the high sugar content?

Options

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

Yes, all the obese people you see, you were mistaken if you thought they are overeating, or if you were blaming too much junk food, too big portions. It is the evil bananas that are making them fat.

That's what happened to me. Sometimes it was the cakes, junk food, and other stuff I overate. But it was mainly the bananas. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    "herbal life"...

Enough said.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I must be broken...I ate a banana yesterday and lost a pound!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Read up and find more opinions than the sharply divided opinions here related to carbs.

Normally, unless you are diabetic a good mix of fruit is very healthy for you.

A banana is good for you normally. I eat a moderate carb diet and will eat a half a banana as a fruit serving. I reversed my type 2 diabetes while eating moderate carbs. As others mentioned you just need to be burning those calories off! You could investigate low intensity vs high intensity cardio for burning off glucose if you are really interested.

Lots of resources to find a good mix of fat/protein/carbs.

Muscle Fitness website has a decent body type quiz program you may find helpful as well.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    L0vAnj wrote: »
    My sister heard this from herbal life so I was wondering, and also potatoes turns into starch fat?

Potatoes are bad but not bad.
    Sweet potatoes are amazing because they have allot of vitamins and antioxidants that your body wants and need. I also find that sweet potatoes taste better
    Regular potatoes are around the same calories per G and same carbs but don't have all the good stuff sweet potatoes do.

If you
    : want a low carb diet then potatoes are bad
    : carb cycling then you want them only on high carb days
    : find they fit your macros go for it. its better than a non natural food

Potato's are not bad. They contain lots of nutrients. If you are doing low carbs, neither sweet potato or potato are going to work for you, but neither are bad.

The issue with potato is often what gets added to it... When fried in oil, or covered in cheese, or baked in fat, made in to mash with mountains of butter and cream etc. The same can be done with sweet potato but it's not the norm.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    No food in particular makes you fat and no food in particular makes you thin.

It is only the calories for the day/week that matter.

I lost 60 pounds eating at least one banana per day.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Read up and find more opinions than the sharply divided opinions here related to carbs.

Normally, unless you are diabetic a good mix of fruit is very healthy for you.

A banana is good for you normally. I eat a moderate carb diet and will eat a half a banana as a fruit serving. I reversed my type 2 diabetes while eating moderate carbs. As others mentioned you just need to be burning those calories off! You could investigate low intensity vs high intensity cardio for burning off glucose if you are really interested.

Lots of resources to find a good mix of fat/protein/carbs.

Muscle Fitness website has a decent body type quiz program you may find helpful as well.

Holy bro-science Batman!

You bring medical issues into a post where not a single one was mentioned. Strong logic, bruh.

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just pay attention to my ratios and eat accordingly. I usually time my higher sugar things after a workout, including cookies, ice cream and chocolate but as long as I hit my percentages, it's all good. I usually have at least one banana a day.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Herbalife will say anything to sell product, and their distributors are not qualified professionals. They are more interested in sales than passing along accurate information.

^^^THIS
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    herbal life. Nuff said

Answer is sugar is not the cause of weight increase.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Not true. Eating over calories will cause weight gain.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bananas- the reason for obsecity... hahaha
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Average banana has 110 calories , sugars have a small effect when its a natural sugar like a fruit. of course eating to many isn't good either.
    I hear people say a banana is only 55-60 calories but if you do some research 1 banana is 2 servings.

I try to limit my fruit to 1-3 fruits a day depending on size like 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 -2 kiwi.
    As for sugar I don't worry about since all my sugar basically comes from fruit and veggies so it rarely ever goes over the goal limit that MFP even sets
    Example goal sugar 70
    Apple 17
    banana 19
    2 Kiwi 26
    Total 62 Not even over and that's before added exercise (of course the lighter you are the less sugar goal) But with exercise and as long as its natural sugar you shouldn't have a problem with extra sugar.

Your body does not care about where the sugar comes from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Man, our educational system really needs to include more basic, fundamental nutrition classes or something...where does this kind of nonsense come from?
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Man, our educational system really needs to include more basic, fundamental nutrition classes or something...where does this kind of nonsense come from?
    Health education at my school (which was considered by the state to be one of the "best" schools), didn't teach anything about nutrition other than to run and know what the food pyramid is.
    I'd have loved learning about nutrition back then, so I couldn't agree more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So much this. It's so depressing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Herbal life is hardly a reliable source for information. Excess calories make you gain weight so if you eat so many calories that you go over your calorie goal you may gain weight but it isn't because of the bananas - it is the excess calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    stupid bananas