Which do you prefer? Treadmill, stepper or running outside?

Options

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Outside for running all the time. Ran on a treadmill yesterday morning and hated it. Also suffered from the 'do I REALLY look like that when I run?!' as I had to see myself in the mirror directly in front of me!

I only began to enjoy running when I took the pressure off myself. For a few years I ran 5 days a week, never improving, really berating myself if I walked, and ended up hating it. Now I run one day a week, run faster, further and if I feel like walking I do! Hell its only walking for a minute but who cares! And if I wanted to walk for 5 minutes - who cares! At least I'm doing something. That attitude has helped me love running and now I often go out for a 4 miler after work especially if Ive had a rough day and it helps me just switch off.
  • Becky03026847
    Becky03026847 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love to walk our nature trail or the road beside my house when it's pretty. I also have a eliptical in the garage that I use when it is raining. I don't run...never have been able to even in high school but I do walk at a very fast pace.
  • p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I can run for longer distances and is less impacting on my knees. I do like running outside occasionally, but if it's too hot or humid I know I will be walking more than running.
  • amyj514
    amyj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my usual, sometimes I run outside but it hurts my knees to do it too much, and the thought of the treadmill makes me want to cry.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    saylorkw wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for all of the comments. So can i ask another question in this thread or should I start another? How do you get to the point that you actually LIKE to run. I have tried running. I ran cross country in High school and hated every second of it. If it starts to hurt (chest, back, knees, ankles) i quit. Thought?
    Hurt in what way? Running doesn't hurt for me, beyond the occasional tired legs right from the start, and then I usually just take walking intervals or cut the run short.

I always hated running. I was forced to run in high school and hated every second of it. In adulthood, I joked that the only way you'd see me running is if I were being chased. At age 45 I decided to give C25K a try and I haven't looked back. If you haven't been running, start slowly, and I mean actually run slowly. So slowly you don't think it qualifies as running. You should be able to hold a conversation with another person at the speed you should be running. If you get out of breath, you're going too fast. Try a program like Couch to 5K and build up running times with walk intervals in between. If, when you finish the C25K program you still hate running then find another activity. At least you will have given it a fair shot. :)

This is totally me, too. I ran track in middle school (sprints/hurdles) because it was an easy way to earn a letter. Didn't really run much after that. Was in pretty good shape (swimming, cycling, kickboxing, yoga, aerobics), but just not a runner. Didn't run again until I was in my 40's--my son had a parents versus kids lacrosse game and the running nearly killed me! Set a goal to run a 2-mile race with my son. Did it. Set a goal to run a 5K. Did it. Kept running. Set a goal to run a half marathon so I could earn a medal (because it's not likely that I will actually ever win a shorter race). Did that last fall. Running the same race again this fall, and running a 5K race each month this summer.

I like running now. I like having the time to myself. I like pushing myself and seeing my pace increase. I like sweating. I like being able to eat more and still lose weight. I like to think that since I waited so long to really start running that my knees and hips might hold out a little longer (we have a family friend who needed double knee replacement in his early 60's because he ran all of his life).

When you say "it starts to hurt"--is it pain, or just discomfort? If it's truly pain, then you should get it checked out by a doctor. If it's just discomfort, then push yourself through it a bit. Run another 100 yards or 3 more minutes. Slow your pace down if your lungs are screaming. Walk for a minute and then run some more. Find somewhere interesting to run (probably not on the treadmill). We moved to a new town and I like to run and look at the houses. Maybe find a running buddy--the running store near us has a group run (all paces) on Thursday nights. Set goals and run towards them.

Definitely invest in quality running shoes (get fitted at a running shoe fitter if possible).

Good luck!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Running outside is my favorite
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Outside as long as the weather cooperates. I move inside it it is super hot, below freezing, or storming.
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is totally me, too. I ran track in middle school (sprints/hurdles) because it was an easy way to earn a letter. Didn't really run much after that. Was in pretty good shape (swimming, cycling, kickboxing, yoga, aerobics), but just not a runner. Didn't run again until I was in my 40's--my son had a parents versus kids lacrosse game and the running nearly killed me! Set a goal to run a 2-mile race with my son. Did it. Set a goal to run a 5K. Did it. Kept running. Set a goal to run a half marathon so I could earn a medal (because it's not likely that I will actually ever win a shorter race). Did that last fall. Running the same race again this fall, and running a 5K race each month this summer.

I like running now. I like having the time to myself. I like pushing myself and seeing my pace increase. I like sweating. I like being able to eat more and still lose weight. I like to think that since I waited so long to really start running that my knees and hips might hold out a little longer (we have a family friend who needed double knee replacement in his early 60's because he ran all of his life).

When you say "it starts to hurt"--is it pain, or just discomfort? If it's truly pain, then you should get it checked out by a doctor. If it's just discomfort, then push yourself through it a bit. Run another 100 yards or 3 more minutes. Slow your pace down if your lungs are screaming. Walk for a minute and then run some more. Find somewhere interesting to run (probably not on the treadmill). We moved to a new town and I like to run and look at the houses. Maybe find a running buddy--the running store near us has a group run (all paces) on Thursday nights. Set goals and run towards them.

Definitely invest in quality running shoes (get fitted at a running shoe fitter if possible).

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I have been walking at a brisk pace. I try to do 2 to three miles, at least 3 times a week. I have been trying to run a little at a time. I realize it will take time to build up my fitness level to get to a point where I can run. Right now the "Pain" i was speaking of is just discomfort and being "winded" I will take the advice of several of you whom have responded and just take it slow. Thank you to everyone who has responded! I appreciate the advice and support!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I used to run, but have since discovered cycling and I enjoy it a lot more because although hills can be work, it is so much fun to coast downhills. I live near a lot of rail trails so it is a lot safer than riding on the roads. When the weather is bad I cycle indoors on a stationary, but obviously outdoors is the best. Oh and I ride a recumbent trike- very stable, great on the back, AND nice large soft seat. Ahhhhhh.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In regards to your first question: Outside for me! It's the best because I go early in the morning and there isn't a single soul out and barely any cars..just me, my music and the open road. Your second question, I've been getting back into it and I'm just starting to like it now and I'm 8 weeks in, so it just takes time. That being said, if you're in a lot of pain when running, you want to get that checked out. You should be SORE but it shouldn't actually HURT..know what I Mean? If it hurts, there could be some underlying issues you want to take care of. If you really don't like it and don't think you ever will, maybe find something that you DO like? The worst is when you are miserable and having to work out. Good luck!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Outside! I only use a treadmill occasionally for speed intervals (because I can exactly control the speed) or to get in some extra steps while I'm waiting for my lifting partner to show up at the gym. Otherwise, I do all of my running outside. I've never used a stair climber and don't really feel the need.

Same here. I enjoy the outdoors, but I can't control running speed without the treadmill. :( Most of my miles are from hiking, though, as I just started running a few months ago.
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    treadmill because the whole going outside scares the *kitten* out of me lol
  • jaynord
    jaynord Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I swing and snatch kettlebells for my conditioning. Running is ok if you like it, but there are other and better ways to get healthy.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Outside, outside, outside, outside, outside, outside!
    All day, every day. This this this. Kill the dreadmill

As far as your other question. I generally say build up slow. Do C25K, but if you ran in high school and hated it, chances are you've given it enough of a chance. Perhaps the shift for you could be running non-competitively, try running just for the enjoyment of the activity, not focusing too much on pace/distance. Alternately, try another sport. I run and cycle. You might enjoy cycling more.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Absolutely outside.

If it hurts you are probably pushing yourself too fast. Try slowing your pace down and focus on your breathing. Make sure you stretch well before and after, also.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    In order 1) outside, 2) outside, and 3) outside. If I can't run outside, I don't run.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like to run outside, regardless of weather. :) I have more running clothes than regular clothes!
    saylorkw wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for all of the comments. So can i ask another question in this thread or should I start another? How do you get to the point that you actually LIKE to run. I have tried running. I ran cross country in High school and hated every second of it. If it starts to hurt (chest, back, knees, ankles) i quit. Thought?

You need to slow down. When you're doing your run intervals during your walk, try running only slightly faster than you walk. Once you start doing longer running intervals, the pace will pick up naturally on it's own. :) BUT, if you don't like to run, don't do it. Find an exercise you DO like and do that instead.
    I'll tell you a secret of mine: I don't like running either... even if I don't mind it. What I DO like is the feeling of accomplishment I get once I'm done. And the endorphins. Love endorphins even more than chocolate :D
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Inside my home on a treadmill. I do 30 min every night while watching TV. Gets me off the couch and breaks some bad habits. You can't eat while you're running. That's the only time I watch the TV.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Outside, on a trail. As upthread, there is no bad weather.

Personally, once I could comfortably run for 30 minutes I started enjoying it. Even now the first 10-15 minutes tend to be a bit uncomfortable until I've loosened up and got into the swing of it.