Which do you prefer? Treadmill, stepper or running outside?

Options
Which do you prefer? Treadmill, stepper or running outside?

Replies

• mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Running outside, treadmill if I HAVE to....stepper bores me to tears in about 2 minutes.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Outside, outside, outside, outside, outside, outside!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because I own one and can use it no matter the weather (and even while my kids are sleeping). But I did recently run outside and found it refreshing to be out in good weather and to regulate my own pace.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Outside even when it is drizzling.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Outside! I only use a treadmill occasionally for speed intervals (because I can exactly control the speed) or to get in some extra steps while I'm waiting for my lifting partner to show up at the gym. Otherwise, I do all of my running outside. I've never used a stair climber and don't really feel the need.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Outside. The only reason I can think of to run inside is icy conditions. I find a treadmill uncomfortable. No way I could do my long runs on one.
  • Majoraty
    Majoraty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Outside, treadmill if the heat and humidity is ridiculous.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Outside unless there's an ice storm.....there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing! B)
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. My calves start to bother me after running on hard pavement for a while.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Outside on a trail, unless it's hot/humid, then I run on an indoor track.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Outside! Preferably on a trail, but will take a park or the neighborhood over a dreadmill any day!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Outside, outside, outside, outside, outside, outside!

Me too! Especially because most of my running routes bring me by hayfields, and I love the smell of fresh cut grass! Plus it's pretty.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Outside but if I have to get on the treadmill due to weather or my hubby isn't home, then I will. It's nice to have that option.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love outside the most, but sometimes I do just like to zone out on the treadmill.
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Outside. It's a part of my day where no one can bug me. Treadmill or anywhere else someone will always find a reason to ask a question. A little time by myself is a good thing. ;-)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Outside! I use the treadmill begrudgingly during the winter or torrential downpours. Elliptical never. Stepmill during the winter because I can't get myself to run on a treadmill every single day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I would much rather run outside than use indoor cardio machines. The state park is right next to my back yard so I try to run or walk through the park as often as I can while the whether is good.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Outside is my favourite by far. The treadmill can be convenient though. I set it on a slight incline for a more realistic running experience.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, but that's because it's the only place I can do any walking. I can't do crutches/walkers because of the jarring motion on my shoulders. Before my disability got too bad though outside would have been my choice.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside but live in South Texas, so in deep summer I use the treadmill a lot to beat the heat. Some people don't seem to take issue with the heat, but I do. I also like the treadmill for speedwork so you can be absolutely sure how fast you are going. But in general, outdoor runs on a soft surface beat all else.