Compound Lifts plus accessory lifts?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I agree but I hear from alot of people doing alot of "extras" will cause less progress with compound lifts

^^Thats the golden nugget... They are an accessory TO YOUR MAIN LIFT. They should be something that works the same muscle group, usually in a higher rep range at lower intensity. If your accessory lift isnt helping your main lift excel than it is a bad accessory lift.

NO, I would not add two more days of lifting. Your accessory work should be done the same day as teh main lift you expect it to help.

Too much accessory work can exceed your work capacity and be counter productive.

Best advice:
    Add one or two exercises at a time and never do more than 3 or 4 accessories (many do more.. many can do more). And you probably dont need to even consider doing accessory exercises for several months. Usually you'll do things that help you in the part of your lift that is the hardest. For instance, if you have trouble at the top of your deallift you might do rack pulls with a higher weight... Or maybe paused reps of benching if youre stuck at the bottom of your bench.

Accessories are more necessary, and easier to pick, when you start developing weak areas that you could possibly address to improve your progress.

I should add that I think some other "additional work" is often suitable to fit your goals. Accessories to the main life should have a reason for their implementation and should function to aid in advancement of that lift.

While solid advice, this assumes the OP has powerlifting goals. "Trouble areas" makes me suspect aesthetics. If that's the case this advice is off base.

Of course, if she clearly stated what her goals were we could help her directly. But for some reason she keeps beating around the bush so I guess we can argue amongst ourselves.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Of course, if she clearly stated what her goals were we could help her directly. But for some reason she keeps beating around the bush so I guess we can argue amongst ourselves.

Shes dead to me. Lets argue. I disagree with everything you've ever said.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Shes dead to me. Lets argue. I disagree with everything you've ever said.

YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN! TAKE THAT!!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I read something the other day about doing all the big compound lifts for basic all round strength but then adding any accessory lifts you need for specific muscle imbalances or areas you might need to specifically target. Makes perfect sense to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I agree but I hear from alot of people doing alot of "extras" will cause less progress with compound lifts

^^Thats the golden nugget... They are an accessory TO YOUR MAIN LIFT. They should be something that works the same muscle group, usually in a higher rep range at lower intensity. If your accessory lift isnt helping your main lift excel than it is a bad accessory lift.

NO, I would not add two more days of lifting. Your accessory work should be done the same day as teh main lift you expect it to help.

Too much accessory work can exceed your work capacity and be counter productive.

Best advice:
    Add one or two exercises at a time and never do more than 3 or 4 accessories (many do more.. many can do more). And you probably dont need to even consider doing accessory exercises for several months. Usually you'll do things that help you in the part of your lift that is the hardest. For instance, if you have trouble at the top of your deallift you might do rack pulls with a higher weight... Or maybe paused reps of benching if youre stuck at the bottom of your bench.

Accessories are more necessary, and easier to pick, when you start developing weak areas that you could possibly address to improve your progress.

I should add that I think some other "additional work" is often suitable to fit your goals. Accessories to the main life should have a reason for their implementation and should function to aid in advancement of that lift.

While solid advice, this assumes the OP has powerlifting goals. "Trouble areas" makes me suspect aesthetics. If that's the case this advice is off base.

While the boys continue beat their chests, they are both correct.:tongue:

Assistance or accessory lifts should be used to complement your program for either assistance for your main lifts or for your body composition goals, depending on what your focus is.

The above advice is very good re when/how much to add. Just be careful if you are adding an assist for body comp reasons that you are not adding something that will be detrimental to strength goals i.e. that will add imbalance to the routine.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift this way, but it's what I've found personally to be the most effective:

Main Lifts: Focus on strength improvements (i.e. moving the weight). If you don't have any mass though, there's only so far you can take strength improvements.

Accessory Work: Focus on improving the musculature (i.e. body building). If you don't have any strength, it'll be difficult to make much progress with this.

They complement each other and can work very well together.

The reason so many beginner programs focus on main lifts pretty exclusively is that, while you're still learning form, those movements will provide the biggest bang for your buck. If you're squatting 45 lbs, you should focus on upping your squat. Leg extensions won't provide the same results.

And since I'm missing out on the pissing match. I'm right and all you weak ppl are wrong! Anyone who says otherwise I challenge to a leg pressing competition!!!

...what was that?

...I can't just pick the one exercise I'm strongest at and use that to prove my superiority?

....well that's lame.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I switch it up every few weeks. I'll do the straight heavy standbys (benching, squats, etc.) for a few weeks then switch it up to lighter accessory lifts. Regardless of what I do, it is always to failure. I love doing drop sets, too. Got to keep it fresh.