Phentermine experiences?

Options
124»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i am on a medical supervised diet
    almost 100 pounds lost in almost 9 months ( 23th of June it will be 9 months)

and its simple..i weigh EVERYTHING. So no cups spoons or serving sizes....i weigh
    And i log!
    i had medication ( which i could stop after some time) I had major health issue which are minimized or even gone.
    I started out with 1200 calories and now i am on 1400 ( it goes slowly up till i am at maintenance level)
    I am not hungry, feeling perfect, i exercise again because i can :)
    And feel energetic and great.

simple

Amazing! Congratulations on the payoff for all your hard work. :D
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The ONLY thing that phenteramine does for you is reduce your appetite. If it works, it's because you've been lying in your logs previously.

Why not stop lying now instead and eat what you're supposed to without the drugs?

I would also STRONGLY suggest finding out your base activity level using a FitBit. My base level is BELOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW sedentary. By quite a bit. If I ate 1800 calories a day at my old TDEE, I would reach maintenance JUST below 200lbs.

If you're as sedentary as I was, 1800 actual calories might not be much of a deficit.

But if you have 97lbs to lose, you're not eating 1800 calories.
  • igottalose50
    igottalose50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hello,ive been on phentermine for 4weeks n
    ive lost 14 lbs....but ive combined it with a exercise n eating healthy most of the time
    because i know exercise n healthy food is very important to change your life style n not gain it back .i think it does help alot ,it gets u use to eating at the right times n even when you skip the pill u get full faster ...
  • igottalose50
    Options
    oh ,n counting calories n minimizing portions has really helped my calorie goal per day is 1350...
  • igottalose50
    Options
    my nutritionist start me off with phentermine 15mg,,,,,now that its been 4weeks she gave me phentermine 30mg...
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing that phenteramine does for you is reduce your appetite. If it works, it's because you've been lying in your logs previously.

Why not stop lying now instead and eat what you're supposed to without the drugs?

I would also STRONGLY suggest finding out your base activity level using a FitBit. My base level is BELOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW sedentary. By quite a bit. If I ate 1800 calories a day at my old TDEE, I would reach maintenance JUST below 200lbs.

If you're as sedentary as I was, 1800 actual calories might not be much of a deficit.

If it works its because you've been lying in your logs??
    Lol....wth? Explain. eats and appetite suppressant of course you're

If it works its because you've been "lying" in your logs....really? How so?
    My experience, what ever it does to the mind and body, its working for me. My only problem is eating period. I don't get 1000 calories most days.
  • aleciahy
    aleciahy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried phentermine 6 years ago. Took for the 60 days and lost 5 lbs. I've since gained over 20 lbs and have been counting calories recently to try and lose. I will not try phentermine again because of the health risks and previous failure. I have lost more in a month counting calories than in two months on pills. Plus chemical dependency is a big concern for me so I try to avoid risks. My daughter had good success with phentermine but she only had 20 lbs to lose compared to my 60, and she is 20 years younger. She achieved her goal and maintained it until she got pregnant two years later. She lost the weight from that pregnancy by doing the Insanity workout which almost killed me. Lol
  • onthemesa
    onthemesa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Around three years ago, at my heaviest (~340lbs) I went to my doc in a rather desperate state. He wanted to kick start weight loss and I was prescribed a months course of Duromine. We didn't discuss diet or calories or anything. The pill killed my appetite almost completely. If I wanted I could go a whole day without eating, although I didn't. I also had to cut out all booze, as the two don't mix.

I got a repeat prescription the following two months and lost around 35lbs. As for side effects, I'm not sure if this was induced by the medication, or the weight loss and exercise, but I had an awesome sense of euphoria. I felt great. I would talk out loud to myself - "god damn I am having a great day!"

The problem was that I didn't want to be taking this pill the rest of my life. I was not getting to the root of my over eating. I declined the offer of a fourth prescription, and for a time my weight came down. Eventually I got right back up to 340. As of today I am ~275 and dropping, as a result of CICO, and plenty of introspection in regards to my binge eating causes. Tracking accurately is really the only way to go, I think.
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used phentramine for 7-8 months. My experience was that it worked initially but I started to feel hungry again after a few months. We kept upping the dosage but it always quit working as effectively to suppress my hunger after a couple months. I quit it once I realized it wasn't working to control my hunger. I learned to reduce my hunger by eating more protein and cutting out white breads and the tons of extra refined carbohydrates I was eating. That seemed to work better for me than dealing with my hunger using medicine.
  • missyhill99
    missyhill99 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've been using phentermine since Feb and I am down 30lbs I do portion control and I never eat back calories. I have started taking them every other day so I won't get depended on them. my highest weight was 372 I am now at 320 but what I have learned is I have to cook my own meals I take my lunch to work everyday I only eat out Once or twice a month and then I am very careful about what I get and I have to workout very day its only 45 minutes to hour but I have to do cardio everyday. My doctor is a firm believer in exercise (military man) We discussed calories good carbs bad carbs how much sleep I was getting if I was under any stress I mean the works. So its working for me but I am also making sure I do my part. It's truly about what you eat and how much your eating so you have to be true to yourself. I eat a lot of fresh fruit vegetables nuts and beans with turkey fish and chicken. I don't eat pork and beef is a luxury for me now. You have to be true to yourself be honest about what your eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Back when it was legal, I took phen-fen (phentermine/fenfluramine combo) and it was the best stuff ever except for that pesky little issue of permanent heart valve damage and death. The phentermine by itself does not seem to have that risk which is why only the fenfluramine was taken off the market.

Ya, back in the 90's, I lost 60 # effortlessly with the phen-fen (phentermine/fenfluramine combo). It was wonderful - phen is speedy and fen was a happy pill. Too bad about those pesky side effects.

Interestingly, my body will recreate those speedy/happy effects when I clean up my diet, practice yoga, and get additional cardiovascular exercise.
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used phentermine in the past and it helped me lose 50lbs. I kept that weight off for years until I got pregnant. I gained way to much during my pregnancies, so, here I am starting again. I want to be able to do it without the medication, however, if I need to use it then I see no shame in that.
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »
    alright I am aware that this forum is about healthy eating so please don't jump on me for this lol. I have been on a medically supervised diet. Logging all my food for about a year and my weight loss completely stalled for 6 months. Tried various things with my nutritionist and finally we along with my doctor decided to try Phentermine (after a full physical and ekg).

Diet pills make me nervous but this is day two and I haven't had any side effects so far (knock on wood) but did get just a bit of extra energy which is a huge thing for me that I struggle with.

So now I'm just wondering if anyone else has used or is using it and if it worked for them?

I am currently taking HALF of the pill each day. If I take a whole pill, I will be awake until 2AM! Anyway, this is my second time using the drug. I didn't keep the weight off before (3 years ago) because when I quit taking it after 3 months, I also stopped logging my food and exercising! I went back to drinking Coke and Mountain Dew (my weakness is sugary, carbonated drinks!)
    The phentermine is just a JUMP start! I went into dieting this time with open eyes and the knowledge of knowing what to do and what not to do. I LOVE the pill! (LOL!) It gives me energy and forces me to drink water. (YUCK.) However, even when I stop taking it in 3 months, I know I have to keep maintaining the habits I started while using the drug.
    You do what feels right to YOU and what your doctor says.
    Good luck!

• MelissaSchlaikier05
    MelissaSchlaikier05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »
    That really is one of my top concerns. Gaining back.

Diet pills don't teach you portion control or moderation. They take away your appetite. So when you stop the pills, you gain the weight back because your hunger returns and you never learned how to practice portion control.

Honestly, the pills are not worth your time or money. You can lose weight naturally, through a simple calorie deficit. Since you weren't losing at 1800 calories, I would suggest lowering your calories to 1600. Make sure you are religiously using your food scale to weigh EVERYTHING you consume.

Actually not everyone puts back on the weight I lost 20kgs on duromine and didn't put back on any weight I lost, Diet pills sometimes teach you how to eat properly, to give up a sweet tooth and shrink your stomach so when you do get off them your used to eating healthy small portions : )
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My sister in law used it a few years back. She had great success and lost a lot of weight right up until it destroyed her heart. She became almost an invalid, was removed from the medicine, gained all the weight back. Now she lives only on the first floor of her home, defecates in a bucket because she cannot climb stairs and bathes in a child's wading pool on the kitchen floor.

Her health was ruined and she is now 100% disabled, but she did lose weight, temporarily.