Replies

• 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    sprouted wheat
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    There is also a different App that is a little more geared to nutrient content type of people. Some of the arguing on here on empty sugar based carbs being as good for you as the complex whole grain foods mentioned above are just silly.

Fooducate:

Fooducate is for the nutrition nerds. Search or scan packaged foods and get a complete nutritional break down. Not just how many calories you’re consuming but also amounts of fat, carbs or protein. If you don’t have a barcode for something you can type it into the database and the app will deliver the pros and cons about it so you know just what you’re getting. If you can’t find the food you want you can submit it to the company and it will be analyzed. One of the most useful features of the app is that it can look for certain allergies in food like nuts or gluten and alert you to them.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm personally not a fan of white bread...I like hardy, whole grain breads that also have lots of seeds and whatnot.

This is my favorite sandwich bread...

daves-killer-breads.jpg

I like the one in the middle the best.

This bread is soo good. I'm obsessed with the Good Seed right now, I love the texture. It's high calorie, I usually just use one piece for an open faced sandwich in the toaster oven. It's filling and delicious.

I love an open face grilled salmon sammich

Lettuce on top

Gonna Amazon shop that or Whole Foods!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Get the best bread you can afford that you also like. I am partial to some of the Brownberry Whole Grains (elsewhere in the country they are sold under the brand name OroWheat) They have a double fiber bread that is hearty and tasty but also soft enough for sandwiches. I am on a tight budget but I can get it at my bread outlet store for as little as $1.25 a loaf instead of the $4 or so at the grocery. 90 calories and 6 grams of fiber without having seeds tick in your teeth.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Neither. You need to be eating Amish Ezekiel Flourless Vegan Gluten Free Probiotic 97 Grain Birdseed Flax Oat Organic Nut Bread. Also if there's a label on the bread saying something about high fructose corn syrup take a drink. You win!

Food Babe says that Amish Ezekiel Flourless Vegan Gluten Free Probiotic 97 Grain Birdseed Flax Oat Organic Nut Bread is one molecule away from chemtrail juice. I'd never put that garbage in my body.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A matter of personal preference, basically. Myself, I could eat white or wheat bread, because bread. My husband and kid don't care for wheat, so we buy white bread. I eat anywhere from 1-4 slices per day and I've still managed to make some progress. As long as you're in a deficit, you'll be fine.

Now, can we please stop with the damn Twinkie argument?! No one is advocating for that anyway. :unamused:
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bread (fresh from a good bakery or my oven) and beer are the world's most perfect foods--according to my taste buds ;) Life's too short to limit yourself to celery sticks and lemon water.
  • idoknowannie
    idoknowannie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 pieces everyday 5 whole wheat saranlee and one slice of naughty white enriched bread and I'm underweight darlin and I could eat six more slices and be underweight but it fills me so well and satisfies me I can't stomach anymore so no it ,won't make you fat just depends on how you're pare the bread like jams jelly peanut butter slathered on butter Nutella get my idea I eat it with iceburg lettuce and baby carrots it is what I enjoy and read how many calories per slice and add it to your calorie goal
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I say at least go with bread that has more nutrients in it. I usually get some with flax seeds to help with my metabolism. Calorie deficit is how you lose weight, but I also consider being healthy overall and getting the most nutrition from my daily calorie intake
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Whether you eat white bread, wheat bread, or no bread.

Again referring to this post, the answer is simple and clear.

However, if you care about that, it's shown that most grains in bread are heavily genetically modified.
    I believe this is part of the reason why people generalized bread to be 'unhealthy'.

This is not a problem at all, although many people get discomfort or digestion issues due to this fact, fatigue or energy dips.

One specific grain however, which is spelt, is alot less prone to genetical manipulation.
    Add to that, it has more zinc, copper, iron, magnesium and phosphor than wheat bread.

Spelt contains 40% less phytic acid in comparison to wheat bread.
    This acid inhibits the absoption of minerals.

As for weight loss, calories are what matters rather than the choice of bread.
    As for health, I would advice speltbread.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    stich0203 wrote: »
    I really think we put too much emphasis on being in a caloric deficit than eating what is truly good for our bodies.

Hmm. I really wonder which of the posts prior to yours you think you are responding to here. Who said that eating what is good for our bodies is not important? Or do you imagine that if someone chooses to eat some white bread that that person cannot be eating what is good for his or her body? If so, I think you are confused about how nutrition works.

Also, if someone is overweight or, especially, obese (which, granted, OP does not seem to be) losing weight is the thing to focus on, as it's almost certainly the number one thing you can do through nutrition for your health. (Exercising is usually a really good thing to do too.) The value of these things vastly outweighs the value of dropping bread (which is commonly eaten by healthy people all over the world) or switching from white to whole grain (although some people might find this a small help in losing weight). Therefore, if someone is more able or likely to stick to a weight loss plan when continuing to eat bread or even white bread, why tell them that's bad?
    Eating bleached white bread has less nutrients than whole grain would.

Sure, although the difference isn't huge and if you are eating plenty of fiber (as many of us do) from other foods, the reason to prefer one over the other is marginal. I like whole grain bread better, given a choice, and find the difference between a good whole grain and white pasta not that significant, depending on the sauce, so at home I tend to go with whole grain (and I almost never eat bread at home anyway, since I don't care about it). However, I don't turn down a good sandwich or pasta dish because it's made with white vs. the whole grain option. The fact is that the nutritional benefits of either of those options depends much more on the other ingredients than white vs. whole grain--the purpose of including the starch in those cases is as a base for the meal, taste, and energy/satiation, not really because they add tons of nutrients. And, contrary to your apparent opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Many of us can easily include such foods and may need to for the calories (if we are very active) and yet get plenty of nutrients. Never once in my life have I had a choice between broccoli and bread or chicken and bread. Who eats just bread? (Well, in the US today, I mean--not trying to play Marie Antoinette.)
    I myself would skip the bread entirely and opt for some cuccumber slices and an egg but think about it. A handful of almonds and a glass of Pop have the same caloric value but I think it's an obvious statement that the almonds are a better choice.

In what possible context are people choosing between bread and cucumber slices/egg? I mean, the macros, the micros, the purpose in the meal, the tastes, the availability if one is ordering at a restaurant, etc. have nothing remotely in common. Just bizarre.

And not sure what pop vs. almonds have to do with anything. No one chooses between pop and almonds. Some people (not me) like pop and want to incorporate it into their calories.
    The almonds will give you energy for longer and takes longer to digest.

This is not always good. Your body can't digest almonds efficiently at all. If I were on a long bike ride and desperately in need of some quick energy, the pop would be better, although I'd not choose either, personally.
    The coke is sugar and will be processed quickly and converted to fat by your liver because there's not much in there for the body to use.

As others have pointed out, you won't gain fat from the coke unless you are in a calorie surplus. If you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain fat regardless of what you eat, also.

Of course, the almonds have more that your body needs, in all likelihood, than the pop, so are often a better choice nutritionally, but if someone loves pop and wants to fit some in in moderation, that's not going to hurt if the overall diet is nutritionally sound (as of course everyone recommends).
    Similarly, white bread has been bleached and much of its nutritional value lost. When you eat it, the body converts to sugar and again the liver processes quickly and converts the sugar to fat. At least with the whole grain, you'll get some nutrition from it and it won't be completely empty calories.

Again, you seem to misunderstand how this works.

Also, the main reason for eating bread is for calories/energy and taste. Just because you are focused on keeping your calories low and may find it challenging (or think they need to be as low as possible) doesn't mean that others might not have reason to include quick carbs in their diet or simply have the room.

Personally, like I said, it's not a food I care about, but it seems really odd to claim that saying you can eat bread somehow means you are anti good nutrition.
    Calories are not created equally!

Do you really not understand what "a calorie is a calorie" means? Nothing you have said means that a calorie is not a calorie, and it has nothing to do with an almond being pop (which no one says) or nutrition at all.

Either you know this and are being intentionally disingenuous for some reason, or you have not managed to understand the 800 prior discussions on this point. Either way, that's sad.

This is an awesome post <3
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    stich0203 wrote: »
    I really think we put too much emphasis on being in a caloric deficit than eating what is truly good for our bodies. Eating bleached white bread has less nutrients than whole grain would. I myself would skip the bread entirely and opt for some cuccumber slices and an egg but think about it. A handful of almonds and a glass of Pop have the same caloric value but I think it's an obvious statement that the almonds are a better choice. The almonds will give you energy for longer and takes longer to digest. The coke is sugar and will be processed quickly and converted to fat by your liver because there's not much in there for the body to use. Similarly, white bread has been bleached and much of its nutritional value lost. When you eat it, the body converts to sugar and again the liver processes quickly and converts the sugar to fat. At least with the whole grain, you'll get some nutrition from it and it won't be completely empty calories. Calories are not created equally!

Your body does not turn it into fat unless you're in a calorie surplus.

U need to ask the guy if his in calorie surplus or not.if his body is holding to much water/fat.an is calorie surplus,to me in his profile pic he looks like he is.then stay away from bread.its not a everyday food for u..it will an can hinder yr results..
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    U need to ask the guy if his in calorie surplus or not.if his body is holding to much water/fat.an is calorie surplus,to me in his profile pic he looks like he is.then stay away from bread.its not a everyday food for u..it will an can hinder yr results..