Help please (think I might be skinny-fat or just a bit fat)!

Options
Can anyone give me any idea to get out of this body that I'm in. It's drive me bonkers having to see myself every day. My self-esteem/confidence is shot. Barely talk to the opposite sex because of how self-conscious I am. Not sure if I should bulk/cut/maintain while lifting heavy on ICF. Thank you.

Stats are:

M
5'7
162 lbs

Pics:

http://imgur.com/lkUhl8O,5Y4icW5
http://imgur.com/lkUhl8O,5Y4icW5#1

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Are you resistance training? What program are you using? What's your diet like? Macros? Calories? Are you logging your food? Weighing it?
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't begun yet. I'm simply seeking advice on what my first step should be in my fitness journey. TDEE is 2300 cals with 3x lifting/wk. Planning to do ICF beginner program by Jason Blaha.
  • galgenstrick
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gotcha. Yeah, that's a good program, although long workouts. If you feel they're too long then I would cut back and do a program like starting strength or stronglifts. Either way, they're all good.

Since you're starting I would start on a cut for 2 reasons.
    Reason one, you can build muscle more efficiently at a lower body fat percentage
    reason two, You'll see results faster and stay motivated. Building muscle is a long process, and if you have a bunch of fat covering it up, you won't look like you're making any progress...

Start your cut at TDEE - 20%
    Eat about 0.8-1gram of protein per pound of body weight
    Eat about .4gram fat per pound of body weight
    eat the rest of your calories in carbs

Once you get into a routine, you can adjust your macros a bit based on how you feel and your satiety.

Cardio is optional:
    If you do cardio you can lose weight faster
    Get all the physical and health benefits
    Get more calories to eat

I suggest doing any cardio you enjoy doing. I personally enjoy seven long walks and three 20 minute HIIT sessions per week.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Honestly you don't look overweight to me. Have you figured out how much you should weigh for your age and height? I would do that first. It's always a good idea to eat right and exercise, just not sure if you need to lose weight or just bulk up. Good luck on your journey
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    It's just strange. I'm 162 lbs at 5'7, while my friends are 5'9 and between 140-150 and they look much better (even if skinny). I just have a weird shape and it brings me down.
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're not fat but you are lacking lbm. Cutting too much won't leave you in a great place and a bulk might not be right for several reasons but a major one is your case is your self esteem might be even more shaky than it currently is. Maintenance for some time and proper training would be a good choice. If you did insist on cutting then I'd have to say to approach it at a very slow drop. A crawl.

So, just eat maintenance while progressing on lifts for a while? I hope I get somewhere.

• galgenstrick
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're not fat but you are lacking lbm. Cutting too much won't leave you in a great place and a bulk might not be right for several reasons but a major one is your case is your self esteem might be even more shaky than it currently is. Maintenance for some time and proper training would be a good choice. If you did insist on cutting then I'd have to say to approach it at a very slow drop. A crawl.

So, just eat maintenance while progressing on lifts for a while? I hope I get somewhere.

If you train and eat properly (even at maintanance) you'll get somewhere - especially as a beginner. Just understand its going to take months whichever rout you choose, and years to really put on some muscle.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You're not fat at all, and you're pretty cute, so you shouldn't be nervous about talking to girls!
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    What do you guys think about adding 0.5 lbs per week (leaning bulking very slowly for a year)? I just don't want to spin my wheels on maintenance (my one worry).
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    You're not fat at all, and you're pretty cute, so you shouldn't be nervous about talking to girls!

Thanks. Just trying to improve my overall fitness and get into shape. Appreciate it. :)
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    What do you guys think about adding 0.5 lbs per week (leaning bulking very slowly for a year)? I just don't want to spin my wheels on maintenance (my one worry).

If you're more motivated to do it that way, then do it. But you'll have a long cut at the end.
  • codsterlaing95
    Options

If you're more motivated to do it that way, then do it. But you'll have a long cut at the end.

Yeah, that's the dilemma -- a long cut at the end. But if I cut, I might just become a smaller version of myself..
  • galgenstrick
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yeah, that's the dilemma -- a long cut at the end. But if I cut, I might just become a smaller version of myself..

Not if you have a proper structured resistance training program and a small or no caloric deficit. You'll likely build muscle and lose fat at the same time for the first 3-6 months.

You can cut, bulk, or maintain. You will get results either way, it's just preference for what you want to look like in a few months, but they will all get you to your end goal. Pick one, commit to it, and do it for at least 90 days and don't question your choice.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree with the young lady. You are not fat. Maybe you are just too shy to talk to girls?

• codsterlaing95
    Options

Not if you have a proper structured resistance training program and a small or no caloric deficit. You'll likely build muscle and lose fat at the same time for the first 3-6 months.

You can cut, bulk, or maintain. You will get results either way, it's just preference for what you want to look like in a few months, but they will all get you to your end goal. Pick one, commit to it, and do it for at least 90 days and don't question your choice.

Well, I also read somewhere that if above 18% bf (which I probably am), fat to muscle gain ratio can be 1:1 (the p-ratio). Is this true?

• galgenstrick
    Options

Well, I also read somewhere that if above 18% bf (which I probably am), fat to muscle gain ratio can be 1:1 (the p-ratio). Is this true?

Possibly. The lower body fat you have the higher your insulin sensitivity. Which is what you want for gaining muscle. That's why I recommended cutting first. If you do it right you can gain muscle and strength and lose fat at the same time. Do this with a minor deficit or maintaining your current weight like MrM27 suggested.
  • codsterlaing95
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So, if I cut (-20% TDEE), how long should I cut for? Should I cut ten pounds (losing 1lb/wk) and then re-evaluate?
  • codsterlaing95
    Options

Possibly. The lower body fat you have the higher your insulin sensitivity. Which is what you want for gaining muscle. That's why I recommended cutting first. If you do it right you can gain muscle and strength and lose fat at the same time. Do this with a minor deficit or maintaining your current weight like MrM27 suggested.

So, if I cut (-20% TDEE), how long should I cut for? Should I cut ten pounds (losing 1lb/wk) and then re-evaluate?
  • codsterlaing95
    Options
    Sorry for the duplicate.