Under calorie but gain weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    Should I trust the nutrition information on the box? Because I have found that Japanese sweet potato is call satsuma imo and its nutrition is 134 cal per 100g whereas the box says 89cal per 100g...

As far as I know, satsuma is a mandarin...

It is satsumaimo
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Portion creep absolutely happens. So does skipping logging small things like a dab of butter, a fingerful of cookie dough, or a bit of mayo.

If my carbs are over 50%, I will start to creep up weight no matter what my calories practically. If I can keep it under 40%, I have a lot of flexibility. One of my sisters got 70% of her calories from carbs (it's not hard to do, even if you never eat things that are sweet), and she gained and gained no matter how much her calories were restricted. Just a thought.

But I used to eat 50+% carb and maintained my weight... So I'm confused now.

I’d ignore the bit about carbs and pay attention to the bit about correctly weighing and logging all your food. As long as you’re in a caloric deficit, you lose weight, regardless of where your macros (carbs, protein, fat) are. Check out this recent thread if you want an example of how carb intake doesn’t matter: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32795430#Comment_32795430
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    slong4u wrote: »
    Hi Wingg - because I'm not a friend on MFP I cannot see you're eating profile. Therefore, blindly I give you this advice. You may want to look at the food distribution (what you're eating and when you're eating it). People tend to eat too many salty foods - this causes the body to absorb and retain too much water because salt (in too much quantity) is actually toxic for the body. As such, you will fluctuate heavily in weight due to the water decrease and gains. Here is what I suggest: 1) check the sodium content of everything you're eating; reduce if necessary. 2) slowly reduce carbs to under 50 grs per day while simultaneously upping protein and clean natural fats. 3) Have a full glass of water before all meals, and a full glass during your meal. 4) Make sure to limit your carb intake after about 4:00 PM as even slow digesting carbs (low glycemic), will convert to fat. 5) RELAX! Everyone's body is different so experiment with the calorie intake, carb intake, sodium levels, and like has been suggested above, measure everything before you eat. You'll do great and we are all here to support you!

Carbs don't cause weight gain...

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Ignore the "advice" about carbs. To maintain your weight, you just need to eat approximately the same number calories as you burn.

If you're steadily gaining weight, then you're eating too much. But it's important to understand your weight will fluctuate in maintenance. So pick a goal range (for example, +/- 2 or 3 lbs.), not a goal weight.

If your weight goes above your range, cut your calories. If it goes below your range, add calories. But don't change anything when your weight fluctuates within your range.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Ignore the "advice" about carbs. To maintain your weight, you just need to eat approximately the same number calories as you burn.

If you're steadily gaining weight, then you're eating too much. But it's important to understand your weight will fluctuate in maintenance. So pick a goal range (for example, +/- 2 or 3 lbs.), not a goal weight.

If your weight goes above your range, cut your calories. If it goes below your range, add calories. But don't change anything when your weight fluctuates within your range.

It's above the range but I've no idea where I've gone wrong because I've maintained doing the same thing last year. The only thing that changed was I'm leaving around a hundred calories per day so that I can eat more on the last day of the week. Oh yeah, and also I seem to start gaining weight when I drop my cal intake from 1300+ Fitbit cal to 1200+Fitbit cal to lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've no idea where I've gone wrong because I've maintained doing the same thing last year. The only thing that changed was I'm leaving around a hundred calories per day so that I can eat more on the last day of the week. Oh yeah, and also I seem to start gaining weight when I drop my cal intake from 1300+ Fitbit cal to 1200+Fitbit cal to lose weight.

1. Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

2. Tighten up your logging. The smaller you get, the smaller your margin of error. So it's even more important to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.