Weightlifting and confidence...

Options
2»

Replies

• 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll look into the 5x5 and Starting Strength program! And I like the idea of a set plan. I usually DO wander the gym and go "Hmmm...let's do this today." :D ...If I can memorize the plan, I won't look like so much of a dunce when I walk back there.

Feel free to carry a notebook. It's part of the culture, and there's no shame in logging and following a program. Plus you can better remember what weight you last reached and it also helps you follow your progress.
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I actually prefer working out around guys. They mind their own business. Whenever girls come into the lifting area they start chattering, loudly. :neutral: I like the quiet and nothing but the sound of iron on iron.

I know it sounds horrible but I've agreed with this lots of times. I wish more women would come into the weight room, but sometimes imo some come in maybe on whim just to try it or sadly for attention. Ruins it as they try to over assert themselves and end up slowing the movement of everything. The girls that come in humble and ready to give it their all...<3. More of those please!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Op. Stop being a pansy! Put your big girl knickers on and get in there!! I would spend some time watching YouTube videos. As well as learning form it's motivating to see other people doing what you want to do. Edited because I just spent 10 minutes typing all about stronglifts! I think you get the idea that a lot of people love it!
    Dont worry about being the only girl in the free weight section. I can't imagine what problem there could be. If they're looking at you it's either because they are interested in what you're doing or they think you rock! I find everyone either very friendly or they keep to themselves.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'll look into the 5x5 and Starting Strength program! And I like the idea of a set plan. I usually DO wander the gym and go "Hmmm...let's do this today." :D ...If I can memorize the plan, I won't look like so much of a dunce when I walk back there.

Feel free to carry a notebook. It's part of the culture, and there's no shame in logging and following a program. Plus you can better remember what weight you last reached and it also helps you follow your progress.
    I actually prefer working out around guys. They mind their own business. Whenever girls come into the lifting area they start chattering, loudly. :neutral: I like the quiet and nothing but the sound of iron on iron.

I know it sounds horrible but I've agreed with this lots of times. I wish more women would come into the weight room, but sometimes imo some come in maybe on whim just to try it or sadly for attention. Ruins it as they try to over assert themselves and end up slowing the movement of everything. The girls that come in humble and ready to give it their all...<3. More of those please!

Mhm, I felt kinda bad saying it, but I figured I’ll be honest. I like to think that everyone finds their way eventually, though. I’m feeling optimistic this morning lol :smile:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks ladies (and guys)! I'm going to download the 5x5 app and give that a shot. I know once I give it a couple go-arounds, I'll be all good. Just gotta get the courage to get my pansy *** in there!
  • megzsj
    megzsj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be so nervous everytime i walked into the weights section, but now there are way more girls which is so great to see and i have got to no alot of the guys who are so sweet and excited to have girls around (i was supprised by this). Maybe another girl in the gym is thinking the same thing and by seeing you train it will give her the confindence :) good luck, be brave

Meg
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mhm, I felt kinda bad saying it, but I figured I’ll be honest. I like to think that everyone finds their way eventually, though. I’m feeling optimistic this morning lol :smile:

I get it...and that's why I added on. I think guys act this way as well but I think because there are soooooo few females in the room there's an automatic implication that we're competition and that's not the case. In time they DO come around or find out it's not their cup of tea and the matter is resolved. Being honest in cases when it's true is nothing to be apologetic about. :)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I feel like I'm going to be judged and watched.
    Yes, you will be judged and judged by guys like me as awesome and badass no matter how much weight you are presently doing.

Happy lifting!
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    I finally went last night and had a blast! I liked the 5x5 to give me something to start from as far as routine but I'm not a fan that you can't adjust the weight without buying the program.

I may just browse the web for a routine or steal my husband's! :lol:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the weight by tapping it. SL5x5 automatically increases your weight every session--it rapidly progresses so it may be wise to start low and focus on form for when the big lifts hit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used to lift 10+ years ago. I haven't been back to the big boy section of the gym in years. Heck, I don't even know what's back there anymore and I don't have a set routine. The sucky part of my gym is that there aren't many (or any) women that go back by the weights. This usually wouldn't bother me but for some reason, I feel like I'm going to be judged and watched. I want to hit the squat rack but can't remember how much I can even squat anyway...and form...who knows how low I can go anymore after 3 kids and being so out of shape.

I don't know how to get over being a little pansy and just going and lifting. :s

you should do an actual program. even if you could remember how much you could squat...you wouldn't be able to squat that now....hell, I had to take a month off from squats due to an injury and I can't squat what I was squatting a month ago.
    I finally went last night and had a blast! I liked the 5x5 to give me something to start from as far as routine but I'm not a fan that you can't adjust the weight without buying the program.

I may just browse the web for a routine or steal my husband's! :lol:

not sure what you mean there.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    You can adjust the weight by tapping it. SL5x5 automatically increases your weight every session--it rapidly progresses so it may be wise to start low and focus on form for when the big lifts hit.

I just figured out how to do that. :| I kept seeing the "Unlock plate calculator" and completely missed the bottom. Duh.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm a 59 year old man lifting with university kids. I could be naked and on fire and they wouldn't notice me. Do your workout and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You can change the weight on the app on your smart phone. Just tap the weight them you can press - to lower it or + to raise it. I have lowered it a couple of times when I didn't feel ready to progress. I started everything at 10kg which is the empty light bar. I think I am on week 8 and just beginning to feel like I'm getting close to maxing out but I surprise myself every time!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just get in there girl!!! Pop your head phones in and walk in like a boss. Do some research before doing so you have an idea of what you want to do. The stronglifts 5x5 program is a good one to get you back in the weight room and comfortable with the essential movements. Watch videos, practice form, start low and build up from there. Do a set with just the bar to warm up and practice form. Build up from there and track so you can increase the next workout. I'm normally the only girl lifting at my gym and I love it. Make friends with the guys you see often in there and ask questions during their rest if you want to know something. You can do it girl! Everyone in the weight room started somewhere!