• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Would rather eat Cocoa Krispies, Crunch Berries, or honey nut Cheerios
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

Why can't both be viable options with the individual person making the decision for themselves?

If 70% of the population is overweight, then apparently NO message is reaching the masses. At least not any message pertaining to heath, diet, exercise, etc. Or maybe they just don't care enough to make the sacrifices.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not sure if it's "killing" kids per se, but the nutritional content cannot be disputed. There's no fiber to mitigate the insulin reaction ingesting the product, unlike fruit which has plenty of sugars but also fiber to assist in digesting the food so that the liver is saved from incineration.

Refined carbohydrates are not to be taken lightly. Eating a whole foods diet mitigates the effect any refined carb could have on the body.

There's more to it than just the sugar issue - food colorings are not necessary in the diet - natural foods don't require an additive to make it appealing or edible.

BHT is another issue - again, no need to ingest it and when on a whole foods diet, won't even be a concern. Why ingest it when alternative foods are in place that you can eat that won't even be a cause of concern?

I think it's "food for thought" - you can't dispute the numbers - you can dispute the headline grabbing - but make no mistake, the issue is real.

Obesity is not a problem, it's a solution, just like being healthy is a solution.

I like the recent Deflategate terminology - "more probable than not". Maybe studies say or don't say something, but is it more probable than not eating a whole foods diet will increase the odds of getting Type II diabetes or becoming obese versus these foods? Highly unlikely.

Cereal has fibre. Some more than others but they have some.
    The usual "refining it somehow makes it evil" crap.
    Many food colorings come straight out of whole foods.
    BHT is also something that occurs in nature. It's also an antioxidant, seems to be anti-viral, does not cause cancer apparently and has exceptionally low toxicity. So where is that "concern" you're talking about?
    And last but not least because people seem to have to repeat this ad nauseam: Eating sugar does NOT cause diabetes, for the thousandth time, and you can get obese from eating nothing but whole foods your whole life.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

I occasionally eat a measured portion of Froot Loops as my before bed snack. I am under no impression that they contain any nutritional value. I just like them. I've been at my goal weight for 2.5 years. . 104 pounds. I guess eating them in smaller increments does work.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's "killing" kids per se, but the nutritional content cannot be disputed. There's no fiber to mitigate the insulin reaction ingesting the product, unlike fruit which has plenty of sugars but also fiber to assist in digesting the food so that the liver is saved from incineration.

LOLWUT? How, pray tell, does insulin cause the liver to be incinerated?

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I gave up after the "sugar causes diabetes" comment and went to go bang my head against a wall. I can't deal with this author's intelligence.

Seriously. I'm sick and tired of people believing that diet influences the development of "diabetes" (note how I'm mentioning no specific type). Diet has very minimal to no influence of the development of type 1 (there are some suggestions that vitamin D deficiency or early exposure to cow's milk increases the chances of development, but correlation is not causation). *rant over* :/
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I gave up after the "sugar causes diabetes" comment and went to go bang my head against a wall. I can't deal with this author's intelligence.

Seriously. I'm sick and tired of people believing that diet influences the development of "diabetes" (note how I'm mentioning no specific type). Diet has very minimal to no influence of the development of type 1 (there are some suggestions that vitamin D deficiency or early exposure to cow's milk increases the chances of development, but correlation is not causation). *rant over* :/

Thank you. This is quickly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves. My friends got together recently to make a short film. In the writing process, one of them actually suggested that the character "catch" BOTH types of diabetes after a week of binging.... because it would be funny..... SMH.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Dude, just stop. Just walk away from the keyboard. Please.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Fried liver is good with onions. Just sayin'.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    cereal-killer.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I wonder how I survived past childhood....
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

You special snowflake, you! :wink:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I knew it! It just has to be true! There's no other explanation!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The author is a "certified iridologist." Iridology is quack medicine/woo that believes you can tell about a person's health/illnesses by looking at their irises. Yeah, not going to believe anything she writes.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options

I knew it! It just has to be true! There's no other explanation!

:laugh:
    I'm just waiting to see what the Friday thread will be. It's going to have to be especially ridiculous after the threads from the past few days!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I am sorry, but this is just stupid sauce. Fruit loops are killing kids? That is just an overly dramatic claim.

I don't know who would pick it up and think it is healthy. It's a sugary cereal. It's not Grape Nuts.

If kids ate it in moderation, it's fine. If adults eat it in moderation, it's fine.

Mind boggling. I ate fruit loops on occasion as a child, I in fact did not die. I also eat Cookie Crisps sometimes. I eat Lucky Charms sometimes. It's amazing I survived childhood.

I'm still alive. How did that happen?

I read the headline and then clicked out. I knew I wasn't ready for that level of derp.

• Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only danger I've encountered in eating 'Loops has been wanting another bowl.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

You should pay closer attention to the profiles of the people who claim moderation is the key....they are usually (not always, but usually) the ones with the most success.
    (btw, I practice moderation...I had pizza for breakfast today)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

My IQ dropped 20 points from watching that.