The dangers of eating Fruit Loops

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I ate a bowl of sugary cereal (including Froot Loops) almost every day as a kid. I was a picky eater and that was pretty much the only thing I liked for breakfast. I was never overweight as a kid/adolescent, I didn't develop cancer, heart disease, or food allergies, and I grew up to be a healthy adult - who still eats Froot Loops.

Yup.. same here. Except we weren't picky, we just liked our sugary cereals for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too). My brother and I both turned out just fine.. never overweight, always quite athletic too.
    Also, I owe all my current fabulous success to Cocoa Krispies... yummmm :)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ...in for the inevitable know-it-all versus know-it-all showdown.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I ate a bowl of sugary cereal (including Froot Loops) almost every day as a kid. I was a picky eater and that was pretty much the only thing I liked for breakfast. I was never overweight as a kid/adolescent, I didn't develop cancer, heart disease, or food allergies, and I grew up to be a healthy adult - who still eats Froot Loops.

Yup.. same here. Except we weren't picky, we just liked our sugary cereals for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too). My brother and I both turned out just fine.. never overweight, always quite athletic too.

Ohhh Cocoa Krispies with banana is heaven.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    faegirl22 wrote: »
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.

This post just made me want Lucky Charms. :p

Sorry not sorry? They’re so good, right? And fun! I love the colourful marshmallow bits! They just make me smile. :blush:

We have costco boxes of it in the pantry, my husband loves it! I'll have it for breakfast sometimes on weekends, gotta love them marshmellows!

Wooot Team Marshmallows! :smile:

It's always so sad when there's the grain pieces left and no marshmallows!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    ...in for the inevitable know-it-all versus know-it-all showdown.

and don't forget the holier than though above the fray MFP posters..!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

based on your profile pic cocoa krispies ruined you ....
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My kids eat fruit loops. They haven't died yet and aren't overweight. Sometimes they poo green from it and since they are boys they always seem to want to share a look at it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

I agree with you.

Also...

I love to eat

I need to feel filled up after eating

I just naturally found veggies mixed in with my meals helped feel full. A healthy snack of a piece of fruit or some nuts helped feel full too.

I'm a nutrition fan.

But I'm also a pragmatist.

Real food is real filling.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this thread is going to self-destruct in roughly ten pages. First of all it's just stupid. Stupid I say! It's a gonna go down in flames lol
    duij31qeseya.gif
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I'm thinking this thread is going to self-destruct in roughly ten pages. First of all it's just stupid. Stupid I say! It's a gonna go down in flames lol
    duij31qeseya.gif

I think ten pages is being generous haha

I think this thread was over before it started.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Virkati wrote: »
    duij31qeseya.gif

I think ten pages is being generous haha

I think this thread was over before it started.

I will go with the under on that one.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Rukia_K wrote: »
    Sad but true :/ Most of the cereals pushed at kids, even the supposedly healthy ones, are full of various sugars (refined/cane/molasses/honey/agave/coconut blossom etc etc)
    The manufacturers bang on about added vitamins/minerals thereby confusing parents with their mumbo-jumbo about vitamin/mineral deficiencies and therefore promote cereals as a substitute for a healthy diet.

so what? I ate coco puffs daily when I was a kid and I came out fine.

I'm just now seeing the one you quoted. Gee, when talking about how added sugars are bad and natural sugars are good, the arguments are always 1) vitamins and 2) fiber
    Most cereals come with both of those. You can't say sugars in fruits are good because of those things then turn around 180° and say they don't matter in cereal and it's still bad because sugar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    My son is sensitive to dyes. He's sent off the wall for days after eating too much artificial dyes.

But I'd be more likely to kill him than the cereal (Yes, I'm kidding, no, I would never kill my child - in case my sarcasm font isn't working today).

Mine is too. He's also sensitive to BHT. But he's an outlier.

Trader Joe's has a Fruit Loops knock-off made with vegetable dyes that he can eat.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I always preferred coco puffs over fruit loops....or capn crunch peanut butter...that was the bomb! and somehow, I am still alive....!!

I used to love me some coco puffs, but last time I had them I could tell that they changed the recipe. So. Sad. Now I dig cocoa pebbles :smile: Will be stopping by the store later today to get my fix.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Rukia_K wrote: »
    Sad but true :/ Most of the cereals pushed at kids, even the supposedly healthy ones, are full of various sugars (refined/cane/molasses/honey/agave/coconut blossom etc etc)
    The manufacturers bang on about added vitamins/minerals thereby confusing parents with their mumbo-jumbo about vitamin/mineral deficiencies and therefore promote cereals as a substitute for a healthy diet.

so what? I ate coco puffs daily when I was a kid and I came out fine.

I'm just now seeing the one you quoted. Gee, when talking about how added sugars are bad and natural sugars are good, the arguments are always 1) vitamins and 2) fiber
    Most cereals come with both of those. You can't say sugars in fruits are good because of those things then turn around 180° and say they don't matter in cereal and it's still bad because sugar.

don't you know that added sugar negates all vitamins and any other nutrients..??
  • ndj1979
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I always preferred coco puffs over fruit loops....or capn crunch peanut butter...that was the bomb! and somehow, I am still alive....!!

I used to love me some coco puffs, but last time I had them I could tell that they changed the recipe. So. Sad. Now I dig cocoa pebbles :smile: Will be stopping by the store later today to get my fix.

they did?

I am not much of a cereal eater these days..I like my eggs, bagels, waffles, pancakes, omlettes, etc too much ...
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.

This post just made me want Lucky Charms. :p

Sorry not sorry? They’re so good, right? And fun! I love the colourful marshmallow bits! They just make me smile. :blush:

We have costco boxes of it in the pantry, my husband loves it! I'll have it for breakfast sometimes on weekends, gotta love them marshmellows!

Wooot Team Marshmallows! :smile:

It's always so sad when there's the grain pieces left and no marshmallows!

That's how you know when it's time to throw the box away and buy a new one ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me sad that gluten free cereals are truly awful. I miss Captain Crunch.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

You know, I think that corn pops are different, too. They don't taste the same to me. :'( They taste like someone tried to make them "healthier" by taking out sugar and happiness. They're Corn Pops. Let them be who they are!