The dangers of eating Fruit Loops

Options

Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I thought Toucan Sam looked a little different today...

fbmskWt.jpg
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Just to add, my kid and husband have both been eating froot loops most of their lives, at 25 and 3 years old they are both exceptionally healthy. As a matter of fact, my kid ate fruity pebbles for breakfast this morning and is now currently snacking on a sliced banana and string cheese. Fortified cereal -carefully measured-(vitamins and minerals), whole milk- again carefully measured-(calcium, iron, more vitamins and minerals, and protein), banana (potassium), and string cheese (again, protein and calcium among other things). I fail to see the "bad" there, and highly doubt it's going to "do her in". :unamused:
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I ate a bowl of sugary cereal (including Froot Loops) almost every day as a kid. I was a picky eater and that was pretty much the only thing I liked for breakfast. I was never overweight as a kid/adolescent, I didn't develop cancer, heart disease, or food allergies, and I grew up to be a healthy adult - who still eats Froot Loops.

Yup.. same here. Except we weren't picky, we just liked our sugary cereals for breakfast (and sometimes lunch too). My brother and I both turned out just fine.. never overweight, always quite athletic too.
    Also, I owe all my current fabulous success to Cocoa Krispies... yummmm :)

Ohhh Cocoa Krispies with banana is heaven.

*adds Cocoa Krispies and more bananas to grocery list* :wink:
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Next I'm going to be told there's not actually froot in them. :open_mouth:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I thought Toucan Sam looked a little different today...

fbmskWt.jpg

lol
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    Next I'm going to be told there's not actually froot in them. :open_mouth:

I bet it's not organic froot. ;)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

You should pay closer attention to the profiles of the people who claim moderation is the key....they are usually (not always, but usually) the ones with the most success.
    (btw, I practice moderation...I had pizza for breakfast today)

This. So this.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Posting idiotic crap like this should be grounds for a banning from the forums. I'm pretty sure we all ate fruit loops as a kid and we're alive. This is more nanny state BS from health nuts and snake oil salesmen posing as doctors.
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't be a responsible adult when it comes to sugary cereal. I can't just eat one bowl.

So I don't buy it. It doesn't have any nutrition in it, so I don't buy it for the kiddos either. I occasionally buy the single serve ones as a treat, but that is all.

While we're on the subject has anyone here tried the cereal with the chocolate inside it? I can't be an adult at all with that in the house. Yummy
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There are no dangers of eating Froot Loops. Take it back!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad my mom loved me enough to give me Lucky Charms, Booberry, Fruity Pebbles and Cap'n Crunch (with Crunchberries) instead of the deadly Fruit Loops.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Good Ol' Dr. Nick is at it again....

cvtwi1ljyuj3.jpg
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    My kids eat fruit loops. They haven't died yet and aren't overweight. Sometimes they poo green from it and since they are boys they always seem to want to share a look at it.

I remember changing my daughter's diaper after she had eaten froot loops and momentarily panicked because her poop was green. Totally forgot the "color changing" effects froot loops have. :laugh:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Am I safe if I buy the store brand?

If not...I'll let you know where to send your condolences for my funeral
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.

This post just made me want Lucky Charms. :p

Sorry not sorry? They’re so good, right? And fun! I love the colourful marshmallow bits! They just make me smile. :blush:

The trick is to get as many marshmallows as possible to "fall" into your bowl. They should take a note from Cap'n Crunch and do an "Oops all marshmallows" version. Let's just be honest about why we're eating it :D lol!

My freshman year of college, I invited some friends to the dining hall because I had too many meals left for the semester. One of them goes, "Ooooooh yeah. I've been waiting my entire life to do this." and proceeds to get a bowl of Lucky Charms, pick out the non-marshmallows, and eat only the marshmallows. He got maybe two-thirds of the way through and says, "Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick. I now totally get why my parents would never let me do this." Good times!

I am retroactively dedicating the two servings of Captain Crunch w/Crunch Berries I had for breakfast to this post.

• raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

No, store brand kills you faster! Better hurry and tie up those loose ends my friend. :wink:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at #3. This was painfully stupid.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

No, store brand kills you faster! Better hurry and tie up those loose ends my friend. :wink:

Sayonara MFP...it's been real.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.

This post just made me want Lucky Charms. :p

Sorry not sorry? They’re so good, right? And fun! I love the colourful marshmallow bits! They just make me smile. :blush:

The trick is to get as many marshmallows as possible to "fall" into your bowl. They should take a note from Cap'n Crunch and do an "Oops all marshmallows" version. Let's just be honest about why we're eating it :D lol!

My freshman year of college, I invited some friends to the dining hall because I had too many meals left for the semester. One of them goes, "Ooooooh yeah. I've been waiting my entire life to do this." and proceeds to get a bowl of Lucky Charms, pick out the non-marshmallows, and eat only the marshmallows. He got maybe two-thirds of the way through and says, "Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick. I now totally get why my parents would never let me do this." Good times!

I am retroactively dedicating the two servings of Captain Crunch w/Crunch Berries I had for breakfast to this post.

A girl in my dorm used to just eat the marshmallows on a daily basis. It was entertaining to watch her pick through the cereal, she really went at that bowl.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    The author is a "certified iridologist." Iridology is quack medicine/woo that believes you can tell about a person's health/illnesses by looking at their irises. Yeah, not going to believe anything she writes.

My parents were strong believers in iridologists. They went to see one faithfully, and of course he found things wrong, dark spots here, things there...you might have an issue with your lungs (genius...both were chain smokers and you could smell them a mile away). Here, buy these expensive herbs and crap, and lo and behold, a few months later, the "spots" were gone, (though dad continued to smoke and hack all day).... they were doing well, got an admonishment to stop smoking (didn't listen), here are some other herbs now to take instead to protect you from re occurrence of those spots on your lungs...(the herbs were magical my parents though, and would work as a counter to whatever damage the cigarettes might do. Not sure if the quack told them that or they made that up themselves)

Then mom was taken to the hospital - she had a brain tumor. Back to the iridologist they went, because they wouldn't HEAR of the radiation therapy the neurologist was suggesting. Iridologist gave her some crazy stuff, cost a couple hundred bucks. Part of the regimen included fresh carrot juice 3x a day, and hideous barley green 2x a day, among other pills she had to take. Mom and dad took this guy's word that she would get better. She died six weeks later.

I wanted to go back and ask the iridologist how come he found some "spots" on her lung but never saw the big old tumor in her brain until the neurologist found it. Had the quack not been nearly 2 hours away, I would have.

I hate iridologists.