Should You Force Yourself to Workout?

Options
There are some days that I'm just not feeling it, but my brain tells me I should get out there and do something. I allow myself rest days but on other days when I have a workout/run scheduled, it's hard to push myself to do it. It's not all the time, just some days. Is it better to force yourself to workout or allow yourself to rest? I feel like I'm being lazy when I choose to rest.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you've already built in rest days, and you're not injured, I would force myself to work out (I do, actually). Motivation is hard to come by sometimes, but I have never regretted a workout. I have regretted NOT working out.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do force myself and the more I do the less often I have to "force". If you have built in rest days to look forward to that should help, too. If you are injured or sick then yeah, skip it. But if you just don't wanna - push through! :smile:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I understand some days its difficult, but what I remind myself is that I am always happy that I did it when I'm finished!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    YES. Get started -- tell yourself it will be a short one, you'll go kind of easy today, or whatever. But GET STARTED.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Missing workouts when I 'didn't feel like it' was part of the reason I put on 50 pounds a few years back. Pretty soon I 'didn't feel like it' every day.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "force yourself." There's a difference between your body just feels run down and exhausted and therefore you're "not feeling it" vs. I'd rather sit on the couch and watch Netflix or drink a beer on a patio rather than go to the gym. If it's the latter, and as others have stated, you've built in rest days already, I'd say yes, force yourself!! If your body is feeling exhausted and run down, then no, don't force yourself. But be sure that you know the difference...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It depends, if you're working out because you want to become more fit... then maybe you should push yourself to work out. If you're working out to lose weight, No. You don't have to work out to lose weight, you just have to eat less than you burn.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It depends. Most of the time, yes, I force myself to work out. Because most of the times when I'm just not feeling it, it's because I'm being a lazy *kitten*. If I'm not feeling well or truly exhausted, no, I will not force myself. But usually that's not the case. It's more of a whiny "but I don't wanna" thing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes. I've lost weight and re-gained it, in part because I stopped exercise. Now I know that to maintain a weight loss I have 2 options: 1. No exercise and eat less forever or 2. Exercise "some" and not feel so much like I'm on a diet (for the rest of my life).

My added incentive is what strong_curves says.....I'm over 50. I don't want to be out of breath and have jiggly arms now. Maybe someday I will have to accept those things. Fitness has so many health benefits.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've made daily exercise a part of my routine. It's more or less a habit now. I feel "off" if I don't get some exercise in each day.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    On the days that I'm not really feeling it, but have a workout scheduled, I tell myself that I'll go for 15 minutes, and if I'm still not feeling it, I probably need the rest day, and can go home. 9 times out of 10, by the time my 15 minutes are up, I've forgotten about my deal, and am enjoying my workout. And when I'm done, I almost always feel so much better than I did before I started.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends. Most of the time, yes, I force myself to work out. Because most of the times when I'm just not feeling it, it's because I'm being a lazy *kitten*. If I'm not feeling well or truly exhausted, no, I will not force myself. But usually that's not the case. It's more of a whiny "but I don't wanna" thing.

This. Exactly this.
  • CrystalEverAfter
    CrystalEverAfter Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Self disciple yields results. So yeah I motivate myself to keep going. When you get up you make yourself go to work. Maybe you don't feel like going but you do it every day. I try to not give myself the option on NOT being healthy or working out. :) p.s. I am NOT a type "a" personality but I admire the results they have, so I adopt good behaviors and leave out the annoying parts of the type 'a' hehehe :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    starseedxo wrote: »
    On the days that I'm not really feeling it, but have a workout scheduled, I tell myself that I'll go for 15 minutes, and if I'm still not feeling it, I probably need the rest day, and can go home. 9 times out of 10, by the time my 15 minutes are up, I've forgotten about my deal, and am enjoying my workout. And when I'm done, I almost always feel so much better than I did before I started.

That is a good approach. I sometimes do the same thing with my runs (oh, I'll just do a mile or two today...4 miles later....)

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Suit up. As soon as I start lacing shoes, I know I'm going. Works every time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between needing a rest day and "just not feeling it". If it's the latter, I get off my lazy butt and force myself to the gym. If I've been going hard for 3, 4+ days and I feel drained and sore as hell, I'll take an off day.

Learn the difference, listewn to your body's signals, and it gets easy to plan your day accordingly.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body - if I'm feeling weak and lacking energy, I may change what I do to something less intense. If I'm sick, then I'll simply move my "off" day for the week and workout on my usual off day. Basically, I never just miss a workout unless I have to and even if I do I try to extend my usual workouts to compensate. I don't live to workout, but I love the results so gotta do the work!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    halfninja2 wrote: »
    I listen to my body - if I'm feeling weak and lacking energy, I may change what I do to something less intense. If I'm sick, then I'll simply move my "off" day for the week and workout on my usual off day. Basically, I never just miss a workout unless I have to and even if I do I try to extend my usual workouts to compensate. I don't live to workout, but I love the results so gotta do the work!
    This^

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    halfninja2 wrote: »

I basically follow this plan as well. If I just don't feel up to working out, I may take a walk or something light to just get out and move. There's just some days I lose my umph.