Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    dterpsy wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I didn't like it because the workouts were not specific enough. I suppose if I was just looking for generic strength training without any specific activity or muscles in mind, this might be a useful app.

What's not specific about the program? They are compound lifts, they work the most amount of muscles per movement............

Yes, that is what I'm saying. It's generic lifts and not specific lifts that target particular muscles.

Generic or Boring lifts? What are your goals, what is your current program, and how does a compound lift not target your specific muscle?

Generic. Boring is subjective, and can't be used for comparison because boring differs from person to person. When I say generic, I mean the exercises target several larger muscles that are common for those who want to build strength for the sake of building strength rather than for a particular activity.

In my case, I'm trying to follow a program to build muscles for rock climbing. Halos, skiers, pull-up retractions, to name a few, are a part of my program and are not on Stronglifts.

Makes perfect sense. Your program is geared for your goal, which it should be! Glad to hear.

I love seeing people get along on the Internet.

+1

OP, I started doing Stronglifts a month ago (exactly today, in fact) and I am loving it. It's so simple and straightforward and takes a lot of the guesswork out of how much weight to add. My husband is a long time lifter, and he switched to 5x5 while he was home so we could work out together - he liked it so much he didn't go back to his original program (although he throws some additional work in on top of it).

Best part, the woman who owns my gym (competitive bodybuilder whose husband and son are competitive powerlifters) told me a few weeks in "I've been watching you, and what you're doing is great."
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I really liked Stronglifts as a beginner to strength training. I was on the program until I reached my max growth with the program. I transitioned to Wendler's after I was unable to recuperate enough between workouts (specifically my squat) to continue to progress. If I can remember my numbers right I was squatting 235lbs 5x5, benching 135lbs 5x5, OHP 90lbs 5x5, rows 100lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 255lbs 1x5.

If you stick with it and follow the program you can see great progress.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I didn't like it because the workouts were not specific enough. I suppose if I was just looking for generic strength training without any specific activity or muscles in mind, this might be a useful app.

What's not specific about the program? They are compound lifts, they work the most amount of muscles per movement............

Yes, that is what I'm saying. It's generic lifts and not specific lifts that target particular muscles.

Generic or Boring lifts? What are your goals, what is your current program, and how does a compound lift not target your specific muscle?

Generic. Boring is subjective, and can't be used for comparison because boring differs from person to person. When I say generic, I mean the exercises target several larger muscles that are common for those who want to build strength for the sake of building strength rather than for a particular activity.

In my case, I'm trying to follow a program to build muscles for rock climbing. Halos, skiers, pull-up retractions, to name a few, are a part of my program and are not on Stronglifts.

Makes perfect sense. Your program is geared for your goal, which it should be! Glad to hear.

+1

OP, I started doing Stronglifts a month ago (exactly today, in fact) and I am loving it. It's so simple and straightforward and takes a lot of the guesswork out of how much weight to add. My husband is a long time lifter, and he switched to 5x5 while he was home so we could work out together - he liked it so much he didn't go back to his original program (although he throws some additional work in on top of it).

Best part, the woman who owns my gym (competitive bodybuilder whose husband and son are competitive powerlifters) told me a few weeks in "I've been watching you, and what you're doing is great."

What work is he adding to it?
    He (and you) may benefit from ICF 5x5.
    Which is essentially a bastardized version of SL with iso work
    It's what I'm doing now since I enjoy the lifts from SL but like some iso work as well (found out when I was injured and had to do a split so I could drop leg day based on how injury felt).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan, though right now am working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women. I plan to do something similar to Stronglifts next. I liked that it was a small set of lifts when I first got back into lifting because it was easy enough to learn and follow. The progression was fun even though a couple lifts didn't move up much *cough*OHP*cough* but overall, it was quite confidence boosting.

In the 12 weeks that I followed SL, I got up to 150 on squats, 200 deadlift, 85 bench, 65 OHP and 105 pendlay row. Progression has been different in NROLFW and I added bench once a week cause I didn't like not doing flat barbell bench. I'm hoping soon to work deadlift up to 225 and have been working on both low bar and high bar squats. I learned some different lifts doing NROLFW and might use some later but definitely look forward to doing something closer to SL soon.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options

+1

It's what I'm doing now since I enjoy the lifts from SL but like some iso work as well (found out when I was injured and had to do a split so I could drop leg day based on how injury felt).

I straight up have no idea :grin: He lives 7,000 miles away, so he just does his thing and I do mine, and we trade notes when we get a chance to talk.

Thanks for the tip on ICF. Stronglifts is working great for me right now, but by the time DH is back home I'll probably be ready to add some additional work in, and that looks like a great routine!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

+1

I straight up have no idea :grin: He lives 7,000 miles away, so he just does his thing and I do mine, and we trade notes when we get a chance to talk.

Thanks for the tip on ICF. Stronglifts is working great for me right now, but by the time DH is back home I'll probably be ready to add some additional work in, and that looks like a great routine!

I'm on my 2nd run with ICF 5x5....love love love the results I've achieved!

• jmule24
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Has anyone been doing this? If so, what have your results been?

I just started today. I really like it! My days will be set up for Thursday/Saturday/Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday as my non-lift days. As a beginner today was 45lb / 45lb / 65lb. I'm looking forward to going up in weight for the next one :smile:

It's okay if you're looking to maintain muscular conditioning e.g. stay in "shape" muscular wise. But if you're specifically looking to build muscle, or build strength there are better programs out there.

I also believe that barbells have a greater risk for injury. I don't see the point of putting yourself at this potential risk unless you're a competitive athlete in power lifting.

OP - Just disregard his comment...there is a reason he has "jail bars" on his profile picture.

• PeachyPlum
    Options

I just started today. I really like it! My days will be set up for Thursday/Saturday/Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday as my non-lift days. As a beginner today was 45lb / 45lb / 65lb. I'm looking forward to going up in weight for the next one :smile:

It's okay if you're looking to maintain muscular conditioning e.g. stay in "shape" muscular wise. But if you're specifically looking to build muscle, or build strength there are better programs out there.

I also believe that barbells have a greater risk for injury. I don't see the point of putting yourself at this potential risk unless you're a competitive athlete in power lifting.

OP - Just disregard his comment...there is a reason he has "jail bars" on his profile picture.

Oh sweet baby cheesus. I'm having flashbacks to the squat thread I had the misfortune of starting...
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options

Barbells used with incorrect form have an increased risk of injury. But, then again, ANY movement done incorrectly has an increased risk of injury.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "If I can remember my numbers right I was squatting 235lbs 5x5, benching 135lbs 5x5, OHP 90lbs 5x5, rows 100lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 255lbs 1x5."

@mamasmaltz3 I bow to thee. Wow.

Edited to say, the above should be in quote boxes, I copied/pasted incorrectly; those are mamasmaltz3's numbers, NOT mine (but I wish!!!)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Oh sweet baby cheesus. I'm having flashbacks to the squat thread I had the misfortune of starting...

Dear lord no!!

After 4 months of 5x5 my body has reshaped in ways I both did not expect and absolutely love. Great program. I did get some micro plates so I could go up 2.5 lbs on the OHP as 5lbs was too much as I got further into the program.
  • jmule24
    edited June 2015
    Options

Barbells used with incorrect form have an increased risk of injury. But, then again, ANY movement done incorrectly has an increased risk of injury.

THe world recorder holder for squats, herniated his disk, they said he would never lift again. You think he doesn't have "good form"? I know some competitive powerlifters here who have suffered from injuries as well. I am sure their form is better than most, it's their sport, and it's what they do.

All physical exertion has some element of risk........

Here you go again using dramatic examples that don't apply to the general population......

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I remember reading through that thread. I felt bad :(

• jmule24
    Options

Please provide more context around this statement?

• PeachyPlum
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

It entertained me so much I sat down to watch some Netflix and forgot to turn the TV on!!
  • Azexas
    Options

It entertained me so much I sat down to watch some Netflix and forgot to turn the TV on!!

Been there haha. Totally off topic- but have your squats improved? We started SL around the same time I think - was just curious.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    SL is my favorite :) I started with 20 pounds for most of my lifts and 2 weeks ago, I squatted 7 lbs oVER my body weight!

nw6y3nefhnjj.jpg

gi359nusrdvj.jpg
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I just hated to see good info hijacked by all the bs. I'd hate for the OP to be discouraged by that happening again in this thread.
  • Azexas
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    SL is my favorite :) I started with 20 pounds for most of my lifts and 2 weeks ago, I squatted 7 lbs oVER my body weight!

<snip>

That's awesome progress!!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    If I can remember my numbers right I was squatting 235lbs 5x5, benching 135lbs 5x5, OHP 90lbs 5x5, rows 100lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 255lbs 1x5.

@mamasmaltz3 I bow to thee. Wow.

Lol. Please don't. I've had a lot of setbacks in my training and have yet to hit my goals. I know some women who warm up with my puny weights. I've had a knee injury to rehab (did not happen lifting), and an adductor pull that have set me way back. But, I LOVE lifting. It has become my passion.

I started back in March 2012 with the goal of losing weight. I began by doing circuit training videos at home with 5lb Dumbbells. That was all I could manage at nearly 260lbs and sedentary. Over time I changed up programs, bought heavier and heavier Dumbbells and then made the big plunge and invested in a rack, bar, bench and nearly 400lbs of plates. That's when I started SL. I had lost 70lbs and gained a ton of strength and I just got stronger from there.

My current PR's are: squat 265lbs, deadlift 275lbs, bench 160lbs, row 140lbs and OHP 105lbs (how I hate this lift, lol). I'm turning 40 this July and was hoping to have hit 300lbs on my squat and deads by now, but it just hasn't worked out. Strength isn't just found in the body. I've grown so much from the mental hurdles.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, I just get excited about women starting to strength train. Stick with it ladies.