What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My red food is strawberry's. Because strawberry's are awesome ... and red. Also tomatoes. Blaming your lack of restraint on particular foods and restricting them is an insipid crutch doomed to fail.

There are many paths up the mountain.

I don't believe that applies. In order for weight loss to succeed long term then people have to make sweeping changes in the way they live. If this includes giving up their favorite foods then this will last until the next highly stressful event. Which considering the way the world works these days is probably arriving round about next Tuesday. The key isn't restricting foods. It also isn't sticking to your calorie limit religiously every single day without fail because that is miserable and you won't do that either. You just have to have more good days than bad don't binge unless it's a really special occasion and keep yourself active. However this requires an effort of will and people grab on to almost any temporary solution in order to avoid facing this fact. But it's just a patch job. The first thing that really pushes you will have you binging on your "red food" before you can sing the first line of the lumberjack song. Because it's become the forbidden fruit that you secretly crave and resist with all your might. Rather than tasty food that you occasionally allow yourself.

People want to push the big red button, Flip the skirt and eat ALL the cake. Forbidding something gives it power. Restricting foods is false stability. And it WILL fail. Believe me ... been there.

There are indeed many path's up the mountain.

It's just a shame most of them have landmines.

This. Overwhelmingly, learning to simply eat all the things you like in reasonable portions has the greatest chance of success in both losing and keeping off the weight. Here's a man with a PhD of nutrition science to explain it.

And you know many here could provide a guy with a Ph.D. who can suggest the opposite. I can name 3 off the top of my head.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How did this not come up sooner?

sriracha_hug_1024x1024.jpg?v=1320950216
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    All foods are red foods. I eat a little bit too much of everything and I gain weight.

No foods are red foods. I eat everything in moderation and I lose or maintain.

Tracking calories is the tool that allows me to stay on the "no foods are red foods" side of the coin.

This.

There is not good or bad food, only food.

However, some people tightly moderate certain foods because they tend to overeat on those foods, which leads to a calorie surplus, which leads to weight gain.

All around moderation is a good tool.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My red food is strawberry's. Because strawberry's are awesome ... and red. Also tomatoes. Blaming your lack of restraint on particular foods and restricting them is an insipid crutch doomed to fail.
    I had some strawberries this evening with my Greek yogurt. Was GOOD!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't have any red foods now and I am more successful than I have ever been with any diet including about 10 times joining weight watchers. I buy individual servings of some things if I want to have them and if I can eat just one and be satisfied. I stopped buying even individual servings of Klondike bars because I would eat more than one. If I want a Klondike bar I go to 7 eleven and buy 1 and only 1. i eat it enjoy it and count it in my daily food diary.
    weighing and measuring and tracking is the only way to be successful for me. If I totally deny myself something it causes a binge eventually.
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    By the way doing phase one of the South Beach Diet helped me immensely to NOT have the desire for these types of foods. I can easily now walk away and not eat Ice cream, milk chocolate, soda, fried foods, bread so forth. I do eat them occasionally but it is rare. I just had a klondike caramel pretzel ice cream bar. Will I eat it again, not for several weeks or even months. I had Zaxby's chicken tenders with fries this last week once again not very often. Had a double BLT with fries at Ihops two weeks ago. I eat these types of foods but not often. I know that I just plain cannot. For ME if I don't have it in the house or plan in advance I can make good food choices and keep on target. I have two other people who live with me and they like jelly beans and potatoes and ice cream and chips and so on and these type of foods are sitting in my cabinet or on the counter, I will not deny my family these foods. But I noticed since cleansing myself which is what phase one did for me I don't really have the taste for sugary fatty foods. For ME this is a life time choice if I want to live long.

Hi. To clarify: I don't have any issue with South Beach. I think it's a GOOD, EDUCATIONAL formal diet. I just wondered why you did the optional 2-week phase 1 for a month, given that they specifically state that you shouldn't...

And having just seen 50 Shades...I wondered if that's why they are "red" foods? :blush: Thanks.

I stayed on for a month just because after 2 weeks it seemed easy for me. But, I was not as strict as the diet suggest. I did many of the rules but did not follow to the T. Even now I use it as a guideline. The first week I followed exactly. Hope that helps with your confusion.

I have tried many ways to lose, pills, curves, 17 day, weight watchers and this one was my success. Maybe because it was formed by a cardiologist and I have afib. I just tossed it out there so other people could see another option that, for me, took away all of my cravings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    By the way doing phase one of the South Beach Diet helped me immensely to NOT have the desire for these types of foods. I can easily now walk away and not eat Ice cream, milk chocolate, soda, fried foods, bread so forth. I do eat them occasionally but it is rare. I just had a klondike caramel pretzel ice cream bar. Will I eat it again, not for several weeks or even months. I had Zaxby's chicken tenders with fries this last week once again not very often. Had a double BLT with fries at Ihops two weeks ago. I eat these types of foods but not often. I know that I just plain cannot. For ME if I don't have it in the house or plan in advance I can make good food choices and keep on target. I have two other people who live with me and they like jelly beans and potatoes and ice cream and chips and so on and these type of foods are sitting in my cabinet or on the counter, I will not deny my family these foods. But I noticed since cleansing myself which is what phase one did for me I don't really have the taste for sugary fatty foods. For ME this is a life time choice if I want to live long.

Hi. To clarify: I don't have any issue with South Beach. I think it's a GOOD, EDUCATIONAL formal diet. I just wondered why you did the optional 2-week phase 1 for a month, given that they specifically state that you shouldn't...

And having just seen 50 Shades...I wondered if that's why they are "red" foods? :blush: Thanks.

I stayed on for a month just because after 2 weeks it seemed easy for me. But, I was not as strict as the diet suggest. I did many of the rules but did not follow to the T. Even now I use it as a guideline. The first week I followed exactly. Hope that helps with your confusion.

I have tried many ways to lose, pills, curves, 17 day, weight watchers and this one was my success. Maybe because it was formed by a cardiologist and I have afib. I just tossed it out there so other people could see another option that, for me, took away all of my cravings.

Got it. Glad you found what works! I really do think it's a do-able, and good formal diet. PS: There's a South Beach Diet group here!
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Where can I find them, would love to join. Since that is my major guideline for keeping me on tract.

The red food question came from my days at weight watchers. I liked the group but didn't because I was constantly thinking about food. I don't do that on the South Beach Diet. I can walk past my husband eating a HUGE bowl of ice cream and not think anything about it. Chips, candy bars, rice krispie bars, even my down fall potatoes, gravy and fried chicken I can easily walk away from where on weight watchers, curves for women and 17 day diet I could not.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Doritos (any flavor)... if I don't portion them out I'm going to suck down half the bag. I still have them most nights, however, because I don't believe in putting any food off-limits, but now make them fit into my daily calorie goal. No deprivation and I can still enjoy that nacho cheesy badness :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Where can I find them, would love to join. Since that is my major guideline for keeping me on tract.

The red food question came from my days at weight watchers. I liked the group but didn't because I was constantly thinking about food. I don't do that on the South Beach Diet. I can walk past my husband eating a HUGE bowl of ice cream and not think anything about it. Chips, candy bars, rice krispie bars, even my down fall potatoes, gravy and fried chicken I can easily walk away from where on weight watchers, curves for women and 17 day diet I could not.

I'll PM you.
  • airwicca
    airwicca Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well,as someone who has been insulin resistant and diagnosed PCOS, I concur with the carb thing.I thrive on low carb.Being in a ketogenic state is simply awesome for me.I kind of cycle to replenish glycogen stores every so often but my overall energy hits the sky in keto. Its easy to say one size fits all, but people, it isnt so.Some of us are truly designed to eat lower carb than others. The food I avoid because I know it wreaks havoc is wheat.I am allergic to it, and it lures me.I crave it.If I eat even a little I have a hard time stopping.Something to do with chemicals it produces in my body( i read about this ages ago) and it is also carb so the combination of inflammation from allergy and carb makes me gain fat and water very fast.Its on my NEVER EVER list.has been for quite some time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Still don't eat cereal though because it sucks.

Agree with this.

Most overrated food ever, IMO. Most boring thing to overeat possible, unless someone feels compelled to binge on rice cakes.

(Just my opinion, of course. People should eat what they like and taste is subjective, yeah, yeah.)

;-)

Cereal overrated?

Have you ever had 4 weetbix with a little bit of white sugar?

What cereal do you eat?

I don't eat any cold cereal because I do not like it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I find I get into trouble with Red Rum.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I really thought this was going to be about demonizing a food based on it's color - since I just saw another thread about how bad white carbs are for you. I was thinking, "now we are on to arbitrarily hating on red foods"?

Also, does anyone remember how exciting it was when M&M's reintroduced red ones back in the 80s? It was such a huge deal!

To answer the original question - OP, I'm with others that suggest that learning to eat all foods, in moderation, may be the key to long term success, but I know many people like having a more strict program to follow and if South Beach offers you that, then I've heard of worse diets... but ultimately it comes down to the fact that you are creating a calorie deficit for yourself in order to lose weight.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few

Mmmm & bloody steak, red bell peppers, tuna sashimi... ;)

Edit: sheesh - how could I forget red wine?

Red Lobster?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

OMG, that would be a great brand name for rum infused with cinnamon or cayenne....gotta get on that...
  • senecarr
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

OMG, that would be a great brand name for rum infused with cinnamon or cayenne....gotta get on that...

Or a really horrible one. I imagine the bottle would be captioned: "All work and no play..."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I really thought this was going to be about demonizing a food based on it's color - since I just saw another thread about how bad white carbs are for you. I was thinking, "now we are on to arbitrarily hating on red foods"?

Also, does anyone remember how exciting it was when M&M's reintroduced red ones back in the 80s? It was such a huge deal!

To answer the original question - OP, I'm with others that suggest that learning to eat all foods, in moderation, may be the key to long term success, but I know many people like having a more strict program to follow and if South Beach offers you that, then I've heard of worse diets... but ultimately it comes down to the fact that you are creating a calorie deficit for yourself in order to lose weight.
    And learning the best way to maintain that loss. yup.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Or a really horrible one. I imagine the bottle would be captioned: "All work and no play..."

Well and we obviously have a prime candidate for a celebrity spokesperson...
  • senecarr
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Well and we obviously have a prime candidate for a celebrity spokesperson...
    giphy.gif