What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My red food is strawberry's. Because strawberry's are awesome ... and red. Also tomatoes. Blaming your lack of restraint on particular foods and restricting them is an insipid crutch doomed to fail.

There are many paths up the mountain.

I don't believe that applies. In order for weight loss to succeed long term then people have to make sweeping changes in the way they live. If this includes giving up their favorite foods then this will last until the next highly stressful event. Which considering the way the world works these days is probably arriving round about next Tuesday. The key isn't restricting foods. It also isn't sticking to your calorie limit religiously every single day without fail because that is miserable and you won't do that either. You just have to have more good days than bad don't binge unless it's a really special occasion and keep yourself active. However this requires an effort of will and people grab on to almost any temporary solution in order to avoid facing this fact. But it's just a patch job. The first thing that really pushes you will have you binging on your "red food" before you can sing the first line of the lumberjack song. Because it's become the forbidden fruit that you secretly crave and resist with all your might. Rather than tasty food that you occasionally allow yourself.

People want to push the big red button, Flip the skirt and eat ALL the cake. Forbidding something gives it power. Restricting foods is false stability. And it WILL fail. Believe me ... been there.

There are indeed many path's up the mountain.

It's just a shame most of them have landmines.

Thanks for that thoughtful answer, which I believe has more potential to help than your original one.

I'm going to disagree with you at some later point ;)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My red food is strawberry's. Because strawberry's are awesome ... and red. Also tomatoes. Blaming your lack of restraint on particular foods and restricting them is an insipid crutch doomed to fail.

There are many paths up the mountain.
    And not all of them are reasonable.
    Thinking "insipid crutch doomed to fail" is a helpful statement is not reasonable.

Yes it is. You just don't like it. Because I heavily disagree with you.

Many paths up the mountain indeed.

Use a real argument. Not one from a fortune cookie. At least before accusing me of being "unreasonable".

Hinduism.

ETA, actually many religions. I've also heard this from Buddhist teachers and Unitarian ministers. But I believe I heard it first in the context of Hinduism.

I am a pluralist, not an exclusivist.

• heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like others said, eating too much of anything is the problem. That said, this time I started out in March doing super low carb for the first time ever. I felt good at first, great even. Now a few weeks ago I decided, you know what, I am not going to live the rest of my life without eating pizza, spaghetti, etc. So I realized low carb is not really for me. I had started snacking like crazy on peanuts, and snacking is what gets me in trouble! I was still in deficit, but the more I snacked, the hungrier I got, therefore, the effects of low carb on my appetite was gone.

Since I added carbs back in, not only have I not gained any back, I am pretty much losing at the same rate, about 1 pound a week, on average. (I went a whole month without losing, on low carb!)

So my answer is, my red food is snacking, in general. Since I started just eating what I like again and not limiting myself to low carb I am a lot less hungry, and I don't find myself needing to eat between meals. Who knows, maybe eventually I can handle adding stuff like crackers, cookies, ice cream back in, but for now it's just easier to not do it. Now, if I sleep late and only have 1 meal (I eat breakfast and dinner) I will eat something later at night so my calories aren't too low for the day, tonight will be that night, I'll probably have cereal and maybe an atkins shake.

But everyone is different. I know low carb/keto works amazingly for others. I am trying to still watch the carbs, keep them moderate, but it wasn't giving me anymore weight loss than I usually lose just watching calories, and since I plan to eat carbs in the future, I figure I should figure out how to do it now--like not eating 2 bowls of spaghetti at a meal! lol
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    4390275736_40780c86e4_z.jpg

OMG that looks soooo good! lol Pizza <3
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my last weakness. I don't buy it anymore to eat at home so I only eat it when I go to a movie. That's seems to be the only thing that I will just continue to munch on. As far as just regular meals I've been trainging myself to simply eat smaller portions of everything. I do cut back on my carb intake just by choice so I have limited my breads and pastas but more so because those foods also tend to be high in calories by the time I add the butter or sauces that I tend to like on them.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Red foods?

Like beetroot? I like beetroot on my subway and burgers.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    But seriously I can't think of a food that if I eat it I will magically gain weight.

All foods if I eat too much I will gain weight.

But the closest thing I can think of is sushi. Those sushi and sashimi combo boxes, or sushi rolls. I think I am logging them incorrectly and they are I fact a lot more kj than I think.

I had sushi twice last week and Gained, only thing I ate last week out of the ordinary. But meh not concerned. Lost this week.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few

Mine is red jelly beans. I don't have a problem with limiting chocolate. Red skittles make me sick after eating several. But red jelly beans (or any color of jelly beans) don't have a natural stopping point. They're soft, so they don't last long and they just turn to sugar water in your mouth.

Starburst put out bags of only red jelly beans for Easter. Needless to say, that didn't last longer than a week for me.
    Yes, they do! They are called FavoReds and they are delicious. They are 100% the only kind of jelly beans I can even eat, but I can eat them a bag in a sitting. I personally believe they might be the devil :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people who said "I can't eat cereal, I'll gain weight" or "I can't eat rice". Now I understand the science and will never say that again. Still don't eat cereal though because it sucks.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    my red food is donuts. I ate 12 last Friday which then lead to eating other sweets and pastries..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Still don't eat cereal though because it sucks.

Agree with this.

Most overrated food ever, IMO. Most boring thing to overeat possible, unless someone feels compelled to binge on rice cakes.

(Just my opinion, of course. People should eat what they like and taste is subjective, yeah, yeah.)

;-)
  • Merkavar
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agree with this.

Most overrated food ever, IMO. Most boring thing to overeat possible, unless someone feels compelled to binge on rice cakes.

(Just my opinion, of course. People should eat what they like and taste is subjective, yeah, yeah.)

;-)

Cereal overrated?

Have you ever had 4 weetbix with a little bit of white sugar?

What cereal do you eat?
  • arditarose
    edited June 2015
    Options

Agree with this.

;-)

I think there are some awesome cereals out there but..I would need like 7 bowls to be satisfied. Cracklin' Oat Bran is da bomb.

But yeah, I used to be one of those people who would said "cereal makes me gain weight" and now that I understand weight loss, I still haven't had the urge to eat it.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people who said "I can't eat cereal, I'll gain weight" or "I can't eat rice". Now I understand the science and will never say that again. Still don't eat cereal though because it sucks.

Me and my Coco Puffs are offended. Awesome cereal, which results in a bonus of chocolate milk? How dare you shame it so? :)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict foods I just listen to what my body is wanting. Believe it or not, I do like my saute'd veggies with some whole wheat pasta, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese over it....over lets say.....a handful of m&m's because that plate of heaven will get me more of a rush then those silly@$$ m&m's.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Agree with this.

;-)

It's ok to be wrong (about the cereal, not necessarily rice cakes). ;)

• arditarose
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Me and my Coco Puffs are offended. Awesome cereal, which results in a bonus of chocolate milk? How dare you shame it so? :)

lol. But I'd rather have meat for breakfast and ice cream for dessert. Coco puffs are decent though. Cinnamon Toast Crunch too.

Okay maybe that was harsh. Cereal tastes great.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Cool ranch Doritos..can't put the dang bag down once I start! But I still eat them from time to time :) just have to be very careful!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    do you know that a large chocolate shake from Dairy Queen is about 700+ calories....that blew me away when I read that....