What is your RED FOOD and how do you overcome the urge to eat it?

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen isn't a Queen at all...she is kind of bytchy.... :wink:
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I used to be one of those people who said "I can't eat cereal, I'll gain weight" or "I can't eat rice". Now I understand the science and will never say that again. Still don't eat cereal though because it sucks.

Me and my Coco Puffs are offended. Awesome cereal, which results in a bonus of chocolate milk? How dare you shame it so? :)

lol. But I'd rather have meat for breakfast and ice cream for dessert. Coco puffs are decent though. Cinnamon Toast Crunch too.

Okay maybe that was harsh. Cereal tastes great.

Bingo! Its that "clean" cereal crap that sucks! :)
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Red foods?

Like beetroot? I like beetroot on my subway and burgers.

This is what I initially thought...l might be because I have an issue with white foods such as milk and sometimes cream sauces that are very white. Blargh
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed something but why re they called "red foods" and why did you do phase one of south beach for a month?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My guess is that they are comparing foods to a traffic light. Red means stop.

There are only two foods that I don't eat.

1. Foods that upset my stomach
    2. Foods that I don't like the taste of

I found that putting foods off limits only lead to binges. Knowing that they weren't allowed only made them that more tempting. The longer I put it off the bigger the binge.
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did not follow phase one exactly, I use it as I do now as a guideline. But, I did follow it to the point of NOT eating or drinking junk or crap foods.
    Red foods are foods you can't stop eating, foods that are high in calories. I learned this term when I was in weight watchers.
    At the time I said the same thing all foods are my red foods. But, now I consider junk and white flour based foods as my stay away/keep to a bare minimum.
    I have been checked for diabetes for the last 6mths and I do not have that problem. I don't cut out these foods 100% but I keep them to a few times a month.

This was a thought question not a YOU should do this. What works for one does not work for all. I enjoyed many of the posts on your thoughts and ideas and many posts the negative ones make me wonder if I should even post or read these. I wanted ideas, motivation, encouragement but honestly some of the people who post, you really make it sound like I am silly.
    Now I need to decide if it even pays to go to the community/posts for inspiration, motivation, encouragement and just plain advise.
  • lisasweetlisa
    lisasweetlisa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    By the way doing phase one of the South Beach Diet helped me immensely to NOT have the desire for these types of foods. I can easily now walk away and not eat Ice cream, milk chocolate, soda, fried foods, bread so forth. I do eat them occasionally but it is rare. I just had a klondike caramel pretzel ice cream bar. Will I eat it again, not for several weeks or even months. I had Zaxby's chicken tenders with fries this last week once again not very often. Had a double BLT with fries at Ihops two weeks ago. I eat these types of foods but not often. I know that I just plain cannot. For ME if I don't have it in the house or plan in advance I can make good food choices and keep on target. I have two other people who live with me and they like jelly beans and potatoes and ice cream and chips and so on and these type of foods are sitting in my cabinet or on the counter, I will not deny my family these foods. But I noticed since cleansing myself which is what phase one did for me I don't really have the taste for sugary fatty foods. For ME this is a life time choice if I want to live long.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    By the way doing phase one of the South Beach Diet helped me immensely to NOT have the desire for these types of foods. I can easily now walk away and not eat Ice cream, milk chocolate, soda, fried foods, bread so forth. I do eat them occasionally but it is rare. I just had a klondike caramel pretzel ice cream bar. Will I eat it again, not for several weeks or even months. I had Zaxby's chicken tenders with fries this last week once again not very often. Had a double BLT with fries at Ihops two weeks ago. I eat these types of foods but not often. I know that I just plain cannot. For ME if I don't have it in the house or plan in advance I can make good food choices and keep on target. I have two other people who live with me and they like jelly beans and potatoes and ice cream and chips and so on and these type of foods are sitting in my cabinet or on the counter, I will not deny my family these foods. But I noticed since cleansing myself which is what phase one did for me I don't really have the taste for sugary fatty foods. For ME this is a life time choice if I want to live long.

Hi. To clarify: I don't have any issue with South Beach. I think it's a GOOD, EDUCATIONAL formal diet. I just wondered why you did the optional 2-week phase 1 for a month, given that they specifically state that you shouldn't...

And having just seen 50 Shades...I wondered if that's why they are "red" foods? :blush: Thanks.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Red bell peppers
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    And having just seen 50 Shades...I wondered if that's why they are "red" foods? :blush: Thanks.

No no no no no no no no no! Bad!
  • Heydew
    Heydew Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist gave me a paper with green, yellow, and red foods. I wish I knew where I put it....basically trying to eat better foods that you get the most benefit out of. But anyway I will say chocolate chip cookies are my weakness! I have to stay away or I will eat all of them! I understand that I can fit them into my calories for the day I just don't have the self control to stop eating them! So I avoid.
    I also wanted to add that I haven't been craving very much junk food lately and I eat a lot smaller portions than I used to. I've been dieting for about 2 months and have lost 16 lbs. I'm pretty excited about that :)
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I had sushi twice last week and Gained, only thing I ate last week out of the ordinary. But meh not concerned. Lost this week.

I always gain when I eat sushi. I'm about 99% sure it's due to sodium.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

No no no no no no no no no! Bad!

LOL! just asking! ouch!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »

I had sushi twice last week and Gained, only thing I ate last week out of the ordinary. But meh not concerned. Lost this week.

I always gain when I eat sushi. I'm about 99% sure it's due to sodium.

It is. Soy sauce is a big water weight bomb. Not a bad thing. Just something to be noted.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Certain foods don't make me gain. Eating too much does.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Red Food is something you absolutely know will make you gain weight.

My Red Food is Carbs. White bread, potatoes, white rice, noodles. Anything that would be considered a carb. I look at it and I gain weight, I stay away from it and I lose.

Since I started the South Beach Diet and went through the first phase which I think was a month I have very few desires for anything fatty, sweet and just plain crappy junk food.

I like dark chocolate and tolerate milk chocolate, can't stand soda anymore. Broasted chicken which I loved no desire to eat.
    I see food differently since I have done phase one. I had tried weight watchers and other similar diets but this one seems to have helped me the most.

Well, I would see a red food as more of a trigger food. Carbs do not cause weight gain...a calorie surplus does. If you eat enough white bread, potatoes, etc. to exceed maintenance calories, then yes they will cause weight gain but not because they are carbs. ANY food will cause weight gain if eaten in excess.

Probably the main trigger food I still have (one I have a hard time not eating in excess) is Ghirardelli double chocolate chunk brownies. I haven't bought a box of the mix in a long time because I know I will eat the whole pan in one night, lol. They are the best boxed brownies ever...sooo good. A close second is donuts. I do still eat donuts pretty frequently mainly because I can just buy one or two. The brownies I have to make and can't buy those kind pre-made. *sigh* Some night I am just going to say screw it and make some, lol.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    RHachicho wrote: »
    My red food is strawberry's. Because strawberry's are awesome ... and red. Also tomatoes. Blaming your lack of restraint on particular foods and restricting them is an insipid crutch doomed to fail.

There are many paths up the mountain.

I don't believe that applies. In order for weight loss to succeed long term then people have to make sweeping changes in the way they live. If this includes giving up their favorite foods then this will last until the next highly stressful event. Which considering the way the world works these days is probably arriving round about next Tuesday. The key isn't restricting foods. It also isn't sticking to your calorie limit religiously every single day without fail because that is miserable and you won't do that either. You just have to have more good days than bad don't binge unless it's a really special occasion and keep yourself active. However this requires an effort of will and people grab on to almost any temporary solution in order to avoid facing this fact. But it's just a patch job. The first thing that really pushes you will have you binging on your "red food" before you can sing the first line of the lumberjack song. Because it's become the forbidden fruit that you secretly crave and resist with all your might. Rather than tasty food that you occasionally allow yourself.

People want to push the big red button, Flip the skirt and eat ALL the cake. Forbidding something gives it power. Restricting foods is false stability. And it WILL fail. Believe me ... been there.

There are indeed many path's up the mountain.

It's just a shame most of them have landmines.

This. Overwhelmingly, learning to simply eat all the things you like in reasonable portions has the greatest chance of success in both losing and keeping off the weight. Here's a man with a PhD of nutrition science to explain it.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    D
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Red M&Ms, Red skittles, tomatoes, apples (sometimes) , strawberries just to name a few

Mine is red jelly beans. I don't have a problem with limiting chocolate. Red skittles make me sick after eating several. But red jelly beans (or any color of jelly beans) don't have a natural stopping point. They're soft, so they don't last long and they just turn to sugar water in your mouth.

So does red velvet cake count since its really just red colored chocolate?!? :wink:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce???
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If I open a box of white cheddar cheese its I keep going back for more until the box is gone... over the course of the day. I will not buy them at this point because I have no self control with them.