Anyone else who doesn't count calories?

Options
For me counting calories is really boring and it makes it feel like I'd be on a permanent diet all my life. I just eat whenever I'm hungry, but the key for me was to eat until I feel satisfied and not until I felt full. I'm not afraid to waste part of a meal If I feel that my body is satisfied with what it already got

I also weigh myself everyday to keep on top of things. So far I've stayed in my ideal weight range for months doing what I'm doing.

Replies

• gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    That's great that it's working for you Phil. I used to have an aversion to calorie counting. I thought that I could go back to eating what I lost weight with a few years ago and I kept gaining. It was a bit upsetting because I was eating healthy. Turns out I was eating too much. I had to relearn what a proportioned meal was. I don't have to 'count' the calories but I do measure my food and because I'm eating better I don't have to worry about eating more than I need. There is no way to get around, education is important. How you apply that education is up to you.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10173159/6-months-into-no-logging-maintenance
    There's a thread right here about not counting cals. Congrats on losing and maintaining the weight!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't currently track.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't count, but I do pay attention to how many calories there are in what I eat and make an estimate of my day's intake and usage in my head.

I don't think counting would really work for me, I expect that I would forget to do it quite often, but I would try if I had to. Fortunately the strategy I've used for the last 1.5 years worked very well for me; I lose weight through changing my lifestyle step-by-step, eliminating unhealthy foods or eating patterns and building my exercise routine.

However, I will track a bit when I am at my goal weight and when my next goal will be maintenance, as well as getting enough vitamins/minerals. I won't do that for long though; when I know what I need to eat to get everything I need I will stop tracking.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great that you can do that for sure. Me, I have to count. When I stop tracking is when my wright drifts to the top of my comfort zone. Maybe someday I will stop logging, but for now it's my best maintenance tool. Proof that there is more than one method for success!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't count, for the most part. If my weight goes too far (in either direction) I might start again. Logging and counting makes me a little OCD, and I'd rather not get pulled into all that again.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I tend to not really count it but sort of ballpark it. So I'll eat something and just log it as an estimate of what I think its worth more to have it as a record of what I've eaten in my food diary - UNLESS I've actually cooked a dish then I'll add it as a new recipe and its accurate. Its not let me down so far and it helps with the calorie anxiety when I feel I've eaten too much. :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't track/count. Every great once in a while I'll do a spot check out of curiosity, but that's it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't log. I weight once a week and if that number is under my top comfort zone, then I'm doing pretty good. If I get back to that high number I'll start back logging that very day...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't typically count calories. I lost without counting, and didn't count for the first 10 years of maintenance. When menopause hit I tracked for a bit. Now I'm logging my macros and micros from time to time, but still not really tracking calories. I'll spot check from time to time if I add new foods to my diet etc.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    While I do log all my calories, I don't try to keep under my calorie count. I am most days but if I'm over I'm just over. eat what ever I want to. be it cupcakes to grapes.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs without logging or tracking hardcore, but I do keep a food journal (notebook) and plan/write out my meals daily.

However, I am very mindful about what and how much I eat, I read labels and have a general idea of calories in things.

Also I portion things out. For example I buy unsalted cashews in bulk, I weigh them out and put them into individual snack baggies.

This works very well for me and is sustainable.

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am honestly curious about why you would bother with MFP if you weren't tracking? Is it just for the forums or articles? I guess the weight graph tracker?
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying to eat only when I am hungry and not because the clock says it is lunch. Also, trying to keep snacking down or to zero with this method. So, teaching myself to eat normally, I guess. I still track, to see how I am doing. But, one day my goal is to not count calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I only logged when I was losing my initial weight...I always viewed it somewhat akin to training wheels on a bike. It was a great learning tool, but eventually you just want to ride.

I have since maintained and done a deliberate bulk without logging and am currently cutting without logging.
    I am honestly curious about why you would bother with MFP if you weren't tracking? Is it just for the forums or articles? I guess the weight graph tracker?

1 - I have been very successful...just because I no longer log doesn't mean I can't be of assistance to others
    2 - yes...the forums are fairly entertaining
    3 - it keeps me involved in the world of fitness and nutrition at large
    4 - I've been here going on 3 years and have quite a few fitness centric friends...when you're into fitness and nutrition, it's nice to have others to converse with as I only have a handful of individuals in my "real world" to do that with.
  • rhinomidget
    rhinomidget Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also don't count calories. I found that even though something may be "Only 100 calories!" it was also full of processed food and junk that would still make you gain weight. I tried counting calories, but it made me sick and extremely unhappy.

I don't write down what I eat and I also don't weigh myself everyday - I just go by how my body feels/looks every day. I eat clean and that's about it. I want to know where my food is coming from and what has been done to it - which is why I stick to a mainly fruits, veggies, and fish... I just avoid any kind of processed foods. I started this about a year ago and have maintained my ideal weight ever since.

You just have to find your own flow, and whatever makes you feel great, regardless of what anyone else says, is fantastic! Congratulations and keep up the great work!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I found this thread insightful and encouraging. I understand the importance of logging, but it is a bit dull and its nice to see people maintaining without it.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I only logged when I was losing my initial weight...I always viewed it somewhat akin to training wheels on a bike. It was a great learning tool, but eventually you just want to ride.

I have since maintained and done a deliberate bulk without logging and am currently cutting without logging.

1 - I have been very successful...just because I no longer log doesn't mean I can't be of assistance to others
    2 - yes...the forums are fairly entertaining
    3 - it keeps me involved in the world of fitness and nutrition at large
    4 - I've been here going on 3 years and have quite a few fitness centric friends...when you're into fitness and nutrition, it's nice to have others to converse with as I only have a handful of individuals in my "real world" to do that with.

I had not thought of that aspect. Yeah. I could see that having the friend connection would be helpful.
  • rainbow198
    edited June 2015
    Options

For me it's for the social aspect. I don't have many people in my life that are into health and fitness as I am. Plus I like chatting with people doing the same workout programs I'm doing at the time.

I have met some really wonderful people on here so it's great to have and give support on good days and not so good days.

Not only that, but it's great to be able to help out and share some of my experiences with others. It's my little way of giving back. :)

Edited to add...today is my 660th day of logging in and it's the first thing I do before workout usually. It has become a habit and I find it helps me stay on track as well.
  • rainbow198
    Options
    Right now I am trying to eat only when I am hungry and not because the clock says it is lunch. Also, trying to keep snacking down or to zero with this method. So, teaching myself to eat normally, I guess. I still track, to see how I am doing. But, one day my goal is to not count calories.

This way of thinking has helped me tremendously. Especially the no snacking. I eat satisfying meals so really don't need to snack. Also I'm It took me a long time to change my way of eating from "I must eat within one hour of waking" to listening to my hunger cues and stopping when I am close to being full. Good luck!