help! can't find good/uncomplicated exercises

Options
Hi guys
I'm new on here and I'm still struggling to find exercises to help me with my weight loss soo any help/answers from yous would be great!! thanks x

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i do zumba 3 x times a week plus walking, love it as its just dancing!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Watching your food intake is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. There is no "good" exercise. Whatever you like and will commit to is the best for you. Walk, run, dance, swim, joing a class, lift weights, start a sport, get a bike. What sounds interesting and doable? This is what will work for you.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Walking is a good exercise, and pretty simple! Same with running and cycling.

I would also like to second this:
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Watching your food intake is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. There is no "good" exercise. Whatever you like and will commit to is the best for you. Walk, run, dance, swim, joing a class, lift weights, start a sport, get a bike. What sounds interesting and doable? This is what will work for you.

• Anabth
    Anabth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    do you do it by yourself or with others?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why complicate it? Just find an activity you enjoy and do it.
  • Anabth
    Options
    I'm so happy someone replied and its all super helpful thank you!! ^-^
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find that I often do the same exercises in the gym over and over if left to my own devices, so every now and again I'll follow a YouTube video to spice it up. There's tons of them ranging from really simple to advanced and complicated. You can find them to match the equipment that you have, and your level of difficulty.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anabth wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I'm new on here and I'm still struggling to find exercises to help me with my weight loss soo any help/answers from yous would be great!! thanks x

you cant get much more simple than walking or running, though actually exercise doesn't help weight loss as such. you just need a calorie deficit for that.
  • lorirmason
    lorirmason Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot! Have just started adding swimming and I really enjoy it!
  • Anabth
    Options
    @TavistockToad can you explain please what a calorie deficit is
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat what others have said, somewhat.... Find activities you like and do it. Ride a bike, walk, jog, swim, gym machines, etc. Also when you decide to do weights stick with the simple ones: push ups (flat bench press), squats, wide grip pull-ups (back), palms facing you pull-ups (biceps), deadlifts, etc. Don't try and do crazy isolation exercises people do as so many of those are not for people starting out (IMO not even for 1/2 of the people doing them).
    The main part is to start and be active. If you start doing that and put the diet in check you'll lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

eating less than you burn
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Agree with the post about watching food intake is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. But for exercising, walking is great, add a app like Mapmywalk and you can see improvement. If you want other exercises, try HIIT style exercises like on Bodyrock.tv or Zuzka light. You can do basics, like a sit up/plank routine, followed by push ups, followed by lunge variations, and finish with burpees.
    Get a friend to join you, it will make it better
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

It's when your body is burning more calories than you are eating. Calories in vs Calories out (CICO). You should have been given a set amount t of Calories that you should eat per day when you signed up for MFP. Just eat that amount and no more and you will lose weight.
  • Anabth
    Options
    @Bshmerlie in the past couple days I haven't even met that amount of calories each day, is that negative for my weight loss?
  • mikegl1
    Options
    @Bshmerlie in the past couple days I haven't even met that amount of calories each day, is that negative for my weight loss?

If you are under your calories for the day you should lose. BUT being too far under your calories can put your body into starvation mode and make it hold on to the weight. So if you have your max calories set for 1300 per day and are 1100 - 1299 for the day you are good (assuming you set your goals up properly). If you are eating something like 700 calories a day you are too far under and risk you body going into starvation mode.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mikegl1 wrote: »

If you are under your calories for the day you should lose. BUT being too far under your calories can put your body into starvation mode and make it hold on to the weight. So if you have your max calories set for 1300 per day and are 1100 - 1299 for the day you are good (assuming you set your goals up properly). If you are eating something like 700 calories a day you are too far under and risk you body going into starvation mode.

No.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Yes that is a deficit. But also don't starve yourself. Make sure you use a kitchen scale to weigh all your food to be as accurate as possible. The program is also designed to give you extra calories for the exercise that you do. Many people will eat about half of those as well. Most refrain from eating all of them back because of the inaccuracies of just how many calories where lost due to exercise can vary so greatly. Again don't starve youself.
  • mikegl1
    Options
    mikegl1 wrote: »

No.

No what?